Stampede Another Is It Worth It Question

My dad always told me about the 10% rule, which is no matter what, 10% if the people out there that will never be happy and constantly complain! If you don't like the app there are very inexpensive alternatives!
This is so true. The % will vary, but there will always be people who won't like the decisions a company makes. Either things change and they wanted everything to stay the same with no progress, or things aren't changing quickly enough or the exact way they want it for their specific situation.

One of the most important lessons in running a business is that you can't please everyone, but more importantly, that you shouldn't even try. Always do right by your customers, but that doesn't mean trying to be all things to everyone. It's never going to happen.

Hello. I am new to this forum and really appreciate the honest talk about RECTEQ grills here. You are fans but are not shy about calling out shortcomings.

I had a Traeger from Costco but returned it because of poor temperature control. I have been researching for a new one (starting to drive myself crazy!) and am thinking a RT is the best value for my price point; probably the RT-590. We are empty nesters and not heavy users (3-5 times a month), but I am looking for a quality unit.

I have two reservations. First, I am disappointed on how RT hides the negative reviews. If they really are that good, they can handle some negative comments. Nothing has only 4- and 5-star reviews. To me, it shows a lack of integrity and makes me wonder what else they are hiding. That gives me pause. However, I feel like I have read enough owner feedback in the forums that I believe it is a good product.

Secondly, and more importantly, is the poor app function. I have read many accounts of too many or too few notifications, and consistent non-functioning on holiday weekends. That is a serious flaw because you can never know if you can trust your grill or not. I guess I could get a third-party temperature probe as a work around, but I hate to do that.

Questions: Is the RT worth it? How big of a deal is the poor app function?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I know you made your decision. I just want to add my 2 cents.

I’ve had mine for 1 year or more. It’s not perfect. But there customer service is next to perfect IMO. If you have any concern they will attempt to address them and resolve them.

2nd the app works great…… now. For me. IOS user XS Max.

3rd the sear kit is a must for my family. Steaks, Tri tip, any piece of beef that needs to be seared after it’s been smoked it works amazingly.

4th this grill works. Impressively so. You can set it and forget it when it’s working right. Usually the feed rate is the determining factor for me, but once it’s dialed in, you can smoke for hours and hours holding the same temp. So that allows you to focus on anything else to improve your skill. The meat probes are finicky but a legit asset.

My only complaint, not sure if it is one. I wish I had more smoke. Even with a smoke tube.

hope you enjoy!

I have had my RT-700 for a little over four years now, and use it a few times a week, but mainly use it now for overnight butts and briskets, or Bible study gatherings as I also own the Bullseye, which is faster and much better for fast hot cooks during the week.

I would definitely recommend the Recteq grills of your choosing. They are precise and reliable. if any issues, RT doesn't hesitate to take care of your needs promptly. I wanted to be able to calibrate the meat probes on my RT-700. Also my Bullseye board starting acting different. Recteq sent out new control boards for both promptly without issues. I also dropped one of the grates off my deck rail and it got bent a little on one end. RT sent out a new set for free. They truly do have unmatched service!

Yes, the app can have a delay at times with so many now on the system, but it is not a show stopper. I still use the app for overnight cooks, and it is still reliable, but I do check it first thing in the A.M. to make sure the reading are correct. I know how long meats take, so I time the placement so no overnight issues anyways. You can always logout and then back in if you have doubts. it's not a real issue for weekday cooks, and the delays are not long enough to cause real issues.

I can't recall ever having a bad cook on these grills. Everyone just loves the briskets and butts it produces. I get many request for them.

I can't think of a better grill to recommend in these price ranges. The middleman is cut out of the pricing, so you get a lot more grill for your money with Recteq.

Last edited:
I don't know where to start. I have a RT- 680. It didn't have any fancy wifi or app when I got it nearly 8 years ago. I did a bunch of research before the purchase and everything seemed to check out. It has sat outside uncovered since we purchased it.
Problems have been auger shear pin broke after about a year. Called on a Sunday just because and got the answering machine and didn't leave a message. Ray, yes that Ray called me back. I didn't pick up since I didn't recognize the number. He left a message and I called him back. They sent me the parts for the fix no charge. You might say they should have but a shear pin is not really a warranty part. It could have been a good excuse but wasn't. Few years later I had a controller issue. The wifi had just come out but mine was not wifi. They sent me a new controller and told me I had a 6 year warranty! The last issue was last fall my temp probe went out. I finally paid for a part.
Are they perfect no but never have I had customer service anywhere like this. They do pay attention to their customers. Every business changes most of the time not for the better on customer service. My opinion would be the same here as they have grown. But from experience the top of the company can influence the rest and my belief says it does.
Decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not but the next pellet grill we purchase will be a ReqTec not even looking elsewhere.

I have the 750. Bought it last year. They came out with the 1250. I am thing of giving my 750 to my son or daughter and getting the 1250. I think it is more value for the cost and the larger area and other features are worth the cost difference.

The quality is really noticeable. I have looked at Traeger many times at Costco and also other pellet grills. No comparison. The other grill are like a paper bag compared to a cardboard box.

We are seniors and just the two of us but the extra surface is always handy for sides.

There customer service is fantastic. They are very helpful and always replaced anything without question.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back