Stampede Another "590 vs 700" Debate

exilepa

Already have a bullseye that has pretty much replace my Weber gas and will be my "sear station as needed" as well.

Thought I was set on the 700 to replace my current PoS Camp Chef grill, talked with sales and realized that I'm not currently maxing out my current Camp Chef that has 429sq.in. of cooking space. The 590 really does make more sense, but...

This is the silly question -- Does the 590 having the vents vs the stack that 700 has lend to it producing less smoke and less smoke flavor? Seeing the new vent design makes me wonder if I'll have weather issues with possible rain or snow entering the cook chamber? Does anyone have a 590 with the new vent design have any issues with too much smoke escaping or moisture/weather issues in the chamber?

There will be no perceivable difference in smoke flavor between RT-590 & RT-700. I also won't worry about rain in any instance either. This wasn't the case with the older RT-590 before the update which is what I have and wasn't comfortable w/o adding the all-weather smoke vents for that previous design.

FWIW, even though I've had my issues with RT lately and their lack of notifications and willingness to address, I was still happy I chose a RT-590 instead of the RT-700 which was also my dilemma. Never once wished I had bought the larger one.

In fact, now that I'm having issues... I'm thankful I didn't invest even more in the RT-700 than I did on the RT-590.

They are both great units. I had the same question. I had the 340 first. great for the main course but limited when adding sides. Added a bullseye and great for both and ability to have 2 temps is great. I still had a want to be able to cook for larger groups and be free to do something like ribs where I needed more space for a crowd. Also wanted to be able to do a whole thanksgiving meal in it. so I bought the 700 and have to say I think it's the perfect size. Now no size is a complete package without a bullseye or a blackstone for searing. But I'm happy as can be now and I love having enough room for friends. The thing is that sides turn out amazing off of these things so once you find that out you find out you want more room than you have on other grills. On my kamados in the past sides were basically corn or potatoes. Now I am throwing all kinds of things in there for sides and relaxing at the grill area instead of being back and forth to the kitchen. My .02

i have a 700 and love it. but depending on needs i feel like the 590 is a great size for alot of people. and i think its the best looking grill of the two. the 590 also has a less expensive comp cart 299 vs 399 if you want one. however the second shelf option for the 590 is much shorter and im not sure you could put anything other than ribs or burgers under it. also the 700 offers a second smoke box attachment you may or may not want. i would look at the accessories a need see what model will work best for you. you will get delicious food either way!

another thing to consider is if you will be cooking very large items like pizzas. with my 700 i can cook 2 16in large pizza at a time on the rack. the 590 could only do 1 16 and a side of breadsticks or probably 3-4 personal pans. that may not matter one bit to you though. but for me pizza is important. i wish i had the bfg lol!

Attachments

• 4AD748EE-3966-422C-A0FA-AA08FC2403CC.jpeg
    4AD748EE-3966-422C-A0FA-AA08FC2403CC.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 310
another thing to consider is if you will be cooking very large items like pizzas. with my 700 i can cook 2 16in large pizza at a time on the rack. the 590 could only do 1 16 and a side of breadsticks or probably 3-4 personal pans. that may not matter one bit to you though. but for me pizza is important. i wish i had the bfg lol!
Orly? It might be those pans pictured because I _think_ I can fit two Papa Murphy's Take-n-bake Large (16") pizzas in my RT-590. I may be wrong on that because I haven't actually done it but I have done a lot of singles and I feel like two would fit based on what I'm remembering. I think we're getting one tonight ($10 Tuesdays.. w00t) so I will double check that hypothesis tonight and report back. Either way, we never need to cook two so that further supports that the RT-590 was the right choice for our needs. The biggest thing I ever smoke is a packer and those fit just fine w/o issue. If I was cooking for 30 people regularly I would have popped for the RT-700's added real estate. I do like how the auger tube is shorter and the pellet hopper is larger on the RT-700 but in the end I couldn't justify those for the price w/o needing the extra surface area.

you know i bet your right. i think the 590 is 30in vs 36in wide and pans would equal 32 however you probably could stagger them alittle and they would fit. may be close to the air gap front and rear though but probably will fit. im definitely not trying to convince him he needs the 700. the 590 is a slick grill. i love the barrel shape and you can put it on a comp cart for the price of a 700 and those look amazing together. the only reason i went 700 is because i hunt and you guys will be seeing all kinda big chunks of meat stuffed in my 700 in the fall. if not for that i would have went 590. 30lbs of pellets is still alot. i normally only put 20 in my 700 so they don’t have aslong to get moisture in them

I went with the 700 just for a little more space. Also I wanted to have the capability to add a Smoke Box, though I don't honestly know that I ever will add one. I also have a Blackstone for searing. So far I am happy with the 700 and don't wish that I went with the smaller 590.

Yeah that, part of the reason why I got the 700!

Orly? It might be those pans pictured because I _think_ I can fit two Papa Murphy's Take-n-bake Large (16") pizzas in my RT-590. I may be wrong on that because I haven't actually done it but I have done a lot of singles and I feel like two would fit based on what I'm remembering. I think we're getting one tonight ($10 Tuesdays.. w00t) so I will double check that hypothesis tonight and report back. Either way, we never need to cook two so that further supports that the RT-590 was the right choice for our needs. The biggest thing I ever smoke is a packer and those fit just fine w/o issue. If I was cooking for 30 people regularly I would have popped for the RT-700's added real estate. I do like how the auger tube is shorter and the pellet hopper is larger on the RT-700 but in the end I couldn't justify those for the price w/o needing the extra surface area.
I measured the 590 and I couldn’t fit two papa Murphy
pizzas. So got the 700 and never looked back.

I went back and forth between the 590 and 700 before purchasing the 700. Recently, my son-in-law got a 590. I'm really glad I went with the 700. I am just not impressed with the design and build quality of the 590. It just seems kinda flimsy compared to the 700. And the three vents in the back vs a stack is just dumb. Dumber is having to pay extra for the all weather vent covers.

I went back and forth between the 590 and 700 before purchasing the 700. Recently, my son-in-law got a 590. I'm really glad I went with the 700. I am just not impressed with the design and build quality of the 590. It just seems kinda flimsy compared to the 700. And the three vents in the back vs a stack is just dumb. Dumber is having to pay extra for the all weather vent covers.
That's the older vent style. The new version doesn't have that design. I don't have an RT-700 but I've owned many smokers. About the last thing I'd call an RT-590 is flimsy.

Already have a bullseye that has pretty much replace my Weber gas and will be my "sear station as needed" as well.

Thought I was set on the 700 to replace my current PoS Camp Chef grill, talked with sales and realized that I'm not currently maxing out my current Camp Chef that has 429sq.in. of cooking space. The 590 really does make more sense, but...

This is the silly question -- Does the 590 having the vents vs the stack that 700 has lend to it producing less smoke and less smoke flavor? Seeing the new vent design makes me wonder if I'll have weather issues with possible rain or snow entering the cook chamber? Does anyone have a 590 with the new vent design have any issues with too much smoke escaping or moisture/weather issues in the chamber?
I got the 590 in the beginning of January. I copped for the vents immediately.

I've cooked on my kinda covered patio while raining outside with no issue of moisture getting in the grill. There are other forum members who have commented about cooking in increment weather with the vents and no cover and no issues.

As far as smoke is concerned. Low and slow and you are good. I am a smoke fiend, so I always use a smoke tube in addition to my cooks. I am very happy to report that I just smoked a Tri Tip at 200 with the smoke tube inside, and got the most beautiful smoke ring and flavor ever. It was very satisfying to watch the 590 billow out clouds of smoke while the meat was cooking, also while maintaining is set temp on a very very windy day. So in my humble opinion this smoker smokes! No complaints there!

As far as every ones 2 cents on size. You said u you don't use the space you have. So that's it right there. Maybe save a couple bucks for accessories. However, I have yet to meet a man that has said to me his TV, Speakers, Grill, etc. is to big, wish I got the smaller one. :LOL:

I have the 590, and over 2 years there were 2 times where I wished I had a bigger smoker…probably not enough to justify the larger space you need, and added cost.

if you have the space, and smoke for large groups a few times a year, I’d so go for it!

Grills are like Gun Safes
Get the biggest one you can (almost) afford
If you don't, you'll hate yourself somewhere down the Road
You don't have to fill it up, but once you run out of room, there's only a couple things you can do:
Get another .... OR, one of these :
Left Handed Grill Stretcher.jpg

A Left-handed Grill Stretcher !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back