Stampede Interesting Tri Tip

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I cooked a Morton's of Omaha Tri Tip Saturday and it was very interesting. It is a pre seasoned, vacuum packed _portion_ of a try tip. It appears to be only the long side of a normal tri tip. 250 F for just under 6 hours on the 590. No real prep, no baste or flip, just cook. Probed tender and pulled at 200 IT (my wife won't eat medium rare, so I treated it like a brisket). Rested in cooler for ~2 hours then sliced and served. The bark was good, the flavor was excellent and it was juicy and tender. All in all it was a very tasty as well as easy cook. I will definitely do again.

I’m amazed it came out tender - congrats! I’ve never been able to cook these like brisket, not enough internal fat or connective tissue.

I’m amazed it came out tender - congrats! I’ve never been able to cook these like brisket, not enough internal fat or connective tissue.
This is the second tri tip I've done like brisket. The first was an overnight in the fridge with lime juice as a smear and Susie Q rub, then ~6 hours at 250-275. It was good but a tad dry. This second one, according to the recipe I found online also has lime juice in it. According to Kent Rollins, lime juice is a tenderizer, so that may play a roll. I'll have to do another one to confirm.

This is the second tri tip I've done like brisket. The first was an overnight in the fridge with lime juice as a smear and Susie Q rub, then ~6 hours at 250-275. It was good but a tad dry. This second one, according to the recipe I found online also has lime juice in it. According to Kent Rollins, lime juice is a tenderizer, so that may play a roll. I'll have to do another one to confirm.
So lime juice was your binder? Interesting. Makes sense that maybe that helped tenderize it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back