adequate smoke?

geneseohawk

I have not yet purchased a grill yet- still shopping. I have heard good things about Rec Teq, Traeger Ironwood. One thing I am reading on this forum is that for some the Rec Teq does not produce enough smoke for them and they have to use smoke tubes? Just curious- is this "normal" for these grills? I don't want to drop 1k or more on a grill that doesn't produce enough smoke? Also- any concerns with the 590 and the vents in the back? Thanks for any feedback!

I have not yet purchased a grill yet- still shopping. I have heard good things about Rec Teq, Traeger Ironwood. One thing I am reading on this forum is that for some the Rec Teq does not produce enough smoke for them and they have to use smoke tubes? Just curious- is this "normal" for these grills? I don't want to drop 1k or more on a grill that doesn't produce enough smoke? Also- any concerns with the 590 and the vents in the back? Thanks for any feedback!
Smoke is typically mild with a pellet grill. YMMV

Last edited:
My son has a RecTeq and a Traeger (both 2021 models). He’s done several cooks for large parties using both so we’ve done blind taste tests a couple of times. No one could consistently tell the difference, and all had light smoke. As @Jigsaw mentioned above, it’s the nature of the efficient burning pellet grill. Some folks like the lighter smoke, others try to enhance it.
You might want to see if you know someone who has a pellet grill and do a test cook to see what you think. Other than that I’d recommend you buy quality and warranty.

Unlike so many helpful members, I am new to the forum and new to recteq and the RT590. My 590 was delivered on 12/22/21 and I have enjoyed using it after 20+ years with my Big Green Egg (I still have and use.). I have not had any issues with the 590 vents nor with the side hopper for pellets. Jigsaw is right in my view about pellets. I'm still searching for my go to brand, but now concentrating on Bear Mountain and LumberJack (Cabela's bagging). I haven't tried smoking every cut possible, though I add to the list weekly. "Enough" smoke flavor is in the eye of the beholder to me and can be enhanced by pellets or temperature used. My research led me away from Traeger and other brands to recteq largely because of warranty and testimonials about customer service. Lots of experienced hands here who could better inform you, but I recommend the 590.

Unlike so many helpful members, I am new to the forum and new to recteq and the RT590. My 590 was delivered on 12/22/21 and I have enjoyed using it after 20+ years with my Big Green Egg (I still have and use.). I have not had any issues with the 590 vents nor with the side hopper for pellets. Jigsaw is right in my view about pellets. I'm still searching for my go to brand, but now concentrating on Bear Mountain and LumberJack (Cabela's bagging). I haven't tried smoking every cut possible, though I add to the list weekly. "Enough" smoke flavor is in the eye of the beholder to me and can be enhanced by pellets or temperature used. My research led me away from Traeger and other brands to recteq largely because of warranty and testimonials about customer service. Lots of experienced hands here who could better inform you, but I recommend the 590.
Thanks for the response. I've read a few places that with the vents in the back exposed temp fluctuating can happen as well as less smoke staying in the unit.

I have found out by trial and error, if you want more smoke flavor cook at lower temperatures. 225 is my normal start temp. If I really want more smoke flavor like with jerky or smoked salmon I go down to 180,low mode. Even at 275 I don’t get the flavor I want. Low and slow is the key. Enjoy!

Right now I’m using B and B competition blend,they work well $ 14.99 40 lb bag at Academy sports,they have a really good bbq dept, lots of cookers a nice selection of accessories and rubs from all the major players.

You never say if you already have a wood smoker. If not, then you will probably be ok unless you eat at good bbq joints that use wood smokers. I come from using an offset smoker and pellets just don't do it for me on big cuts like brisket or pork butts. I've tried smoke tubes and doing the low and slow and it still just isn't enough for me or my tasting crew. I've done 180 degrees all night and still it wasn't near enough for me. My compromise has been to go around 8 hours or so on my smoker and then move to the RT to finish it off. I do a brisket once every few months so not a big deal. I use the RT for almost everything else except for steaks and sometimes sausage.

I use Bear Mountain and when I can find it LumberJack 100% mesquite. The 100% mesquite must be popular around my area because every time I go to buy it the pallet is was on is empty. They normally still have 100% apple but I'm not a fan of apple wood.

I like the Bear Mountain pellets the best. Plus their only 9.99 for a 20 lb. Bag. The bold mix is the best to my taste. Mix of hickory, oak land mesquite.

B&B makes good quality pellets too.

I use 100% hickory or oak pellets when I can to get more smoke flavor. It’s a trade off. We like smoke but the pellet grill is more convenient. I’m cooking a TRI-tip on my kamado Joe right now and have forgotten how much better the smoke flavor is on it.

I suspect that the residual content of pellets are different than split logs. Certainly they are drier, and some of the internal volatile substances and gases have evaporated. That is my opinion but not based on any expertise on my part. I do think that pellets with included bark, seem to create more smoke but not sure if it is the "blue" type. I am happy with the smoke content off of my 590. While I have tried using a smoke cage or pot, I have not been impressed with the results, so have abandoned the use.

Thanks for the response. I've read a few places that with the vents in the back exposed temp fluctuating can happen as well as less smoke staying in the unit.
You don't want the smoke staying in the CC. That result is stale smoke.

225-275 are smoking temps, I get plenty of smoke flavor and smoke ring, also my 590 runs consistently at whatever setting I choose regardless of temps out.
Do you regret not getting the 700 or is the 590 plenty for you? I typically cook for 5 of us and on occasion 10-15;

Do you regret not getting the 700 or is the 590 plenty for you? I typically cook for 5 of us and on occasion 10-15;
For your upper end, I'd say go for the 1250. You'll need that second rack. If you have other grills, maybe a 590 or 700 will work.

As for "adequate smoke", I'd say you have to be open to less smokiness than other types of bbqs. If you like heavy smoke, maybe it's not for you.

No regret for me, I purposely bought the 590 and it's all I need. I can easily smoke 2 shoulders, or 5 to 6 racks of ribs, many hamburgers, or many wings..... I never cook for more than 10 people at a time anyways. Plus it fits perfectly in my garage out of the way, my last Pitboss smoker was way too big.

I suspect that the residual content of pellets are different than split logs. Certainly they are drier, and some of the internal volatile substances and gases have evaporated. That is my opinion but not based on any expertise on my part. I do think that pellets with included bark, seem to create more smoke but not sure if it is the "blue" type. I am happy with the smoke content off of my 590. While I have tried using a smoke cage or pot, I have not been impressed with the results, so have abandoned the use.

Visible smoke is produced when the combustion is less than the ideal air/fuel ratio (stoichiometric). In our pellet grills, it produces more smoke when the fan is off and the fire in the pot has more fuel burning than oxygen to keep it at the ideal air/fuel ratio. I think this is where the "art" is; keeping the fire slightly rich, but not too rich with fuel and keeping enough hot fire going that fuel can be added without allowing white smoke.

Same thing goes on in a stick burner. Toss in a log and the smoke goes way up. Us backyard stick burner cookers usually just toss in the log and accept the smoke. Many like the bbq from this process. I was invited to work with a competition team where tending the fire required keeping a pit basket running outside the pit and getting it to the optimum point where all the wood was burning well and beginning to coal up before putting that basket in the pit running the meats. There was never a fresh piece of wood or charcoal introduced to the fire box on the pit. That produced the best smoke in their opinion. I have to agree. Never thick, never bitter, very much like the pellet grill. Backyard pitmasters just can't do that level of effort, nor is it economically practical, and neither do many of the best restaurants.

The big restaurant pits can use huge smokers with big fires. Those fires can be run hot enough to get closer to the ideal if they have huge pits or mulitiple pits run from one fire, to use all that heat. And tossing in relatively small amounts of fuel in a roaring fire minimizes the bitter smoke produced (just like our fire pots running with the fan).

If you checkout he consumer Franklin offsets, you'll see they have no draft adjustment. This is because he wants control as many of the pit parameters as he can, and you just build a fire to reach the pit temperature. He wants you to keep enough air flow on the fire and only allow you to control pit temperature with fuel quantity.

When I used my offset or my komados, I could make smoke at any temperature. I routinely ran at 400F to smoke things. I got a nice blue smoke from it. I had to build a bigger fire to run this hot.

On our pellet grills, they just run the fan continuous at that temp and run more fuel in. But at some point (around 275F on my pit on a 70F day) the fire in the pot has to run higher than is ideal for perfect smoke and closer to stoichiometric, which produces nearly no smoke. If they could majically increase the fire pot size and put in more pellets about that time, we could get more smoke at higher temps.

Just my view from my little knothole.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back