Bull 95% Sure I want the bull...

mwshort

Been thinking about pulling the trigger for a while, but after reading the forum and some complaints/issues I have my doubts. I understand customer service is best in the business, but would rather never need it. So my question- why did you choose RecTec and if you had to do it over would you?

i chose the rt 700 because its was the best grill according to my research that i could afford. im a new owner and i have had the temperature chart not work on my app but other than that my grill is excellent. i even had the opportunity to buy any grill from treager at a 25 percent discount but choose the bull. it has really impressed me. the stainless racks are so smooth that i have never had food stick to it yet. the temperature control is perfect, if you set it to 225 it will be +/- 3 to the set point the entire cook. its a very well built grill and i have no regrets. what issues have you concerned?

i chose the rt 700 because its was the best grill according to my research that i could afford. im a new owner and i have had the temperature chart not work on my app but other than that my grill is excellent. i even had the opportunity to buy any grill from treager at a 25 percent discount but choose the bull. it has really impressed me. the stainless racks are so smooth that i have never had food stick to it yet. the temperature control is perfect, if you set it to 225 it will be +/- 3 to the set point the entire cook. its a very well built grill and i have no regrets. what issues have you concerned?
The app not working, some have mentioned auger fires. I have a Meater thermometer as well as thermpro, so can always run back ups. Just a lot of money to spend and want to make sure its what I want. I don't mind the no dealer model, but wish I could look at one before buying...instead I end up reading forums and over analyzing everything posted.

I was lucky i like about 2hrs away from rec teq. they actually have a scratch and dent area also but i didn’t know that until i already bought mine. i don’t know how common the auger fires are but im concerned about that also. but i dont know if a rec teq is any more likely to have that happen than other brands. but i think that is most often cause by dust build up in the bottom of hopper and running it out of pellets and cleaning that area and allowing the auger to run dry helps to prevent that. thats my plan anyway. i used to work at lowes and i built the grills and other display items. i have built hundreds of grills and you can easily tell a good one from a cheaper one by how easy they are to get the holes and screws to line up when assembling. the rec teq was easy and everything lined up perfect with no prying or anything. i think you will like it

I have not doubt you know this, but keep in mind that very few people take the time to post on a forum about a product that works perfectly. It's normal to see issues posted, as those few people who have them are looking to support, help, or guidance from others who may have experienced them.

I was fortunate that a friend of mine had a Rec Teq grill, so I had an opportunity to take a look at one before I purchased. What I saw confirmed what I had found in my research.....that the RT grills are quality units, built very well, and with rock solid electronics, etc. Since I purchased mine in October, I have had ZERO issues with it. It just flat out does what I ask it to, performs those tasks flawlessly, and has been a joy to learn and use. I had some questions early on (not problems) which I directed to RT customer service, and was very happy with their responsiveness and assistance. ....and, to prove my point, this is the first time I've posted my experience, since "my grill works great" just doesn't seem post worthy! :)

Oh, and I think the potential for a back burn, or auger fire is a pellet grill thing, not an RT thing. The possibility exists, though I've never had one.

Perhaps consider posting your location....perhaps there is someone near you would be willing to let you take a look.

Rich

I have not doubt you know this, but keep in mind that very few people take the time to post on a forum about a product that works perfectly. It's normal to see issues posted, as those few people who have them are looking to support, help, or guidance from others who may have experienced them.

I was fortunate that a friend of mine had a Rec Teq grill, so I had an opportunity to take a look at one before I purchased. What I saw confirmed what I had found in my research.....that the RT grills are quality units, built very well, and with rock solid electronics, etc. Since I purchased mine in October, I have had ZERO issues with it. It just flat out does what I ask it to, performs those tasks flawlessly, and has been a joy to learn and use. I had some questions early on (not problems) which I directed to RT customer service, and was very happy with their responsiveness and assistance. ....and, to prove my point, this is the first time I've posted my experience, since "my grill works great" just doesn't seem post worthy! :)

Oh, and I think the potential for a back burn, or auger fire is a pellet grill thing, not an RT thing. The possibility exists, though I've never had one.

Perhaps consider posting your location....perhaps there is someone near you would be willing to let you take a look.

Rich
Thanks for your reply Rich. If anyone out there is reading this in the Tulsa area and would let me check it out let me know. Promise I won't kill you, might even bring something from Harvard Meats.

Thanks for your reply Rich. If anyone out there is reading this in the Tulsa area and would let me check it out let me know. Promise I won't kill you, might even bring something from Harvard Meats.
This may be a stretch, but try reaching out to recteq support and ask if there is anywhere in the Tulsa area where you can possibly look at one. Now I’d be shocked, and upset, if they just gave you a list of owner names, but they do have connections to people in the various BBQ cooking associations, etc., that they may be able to hook you up with.

This may be a stretch, but try reaching out to recteq support and ask if there is anywhere in the Tulsa area where you can possibly look at one. Now I’d be shocked, and upset, if they just gave you a list of owner names, but they do have connections to people in the various BBQ cooking associations, etc., that they may be able to hook you up with.
I may just have to turn off the voice in my head that makes me second guess everything I do. Only decision I've ever made that I never second guessed is my wife, 14 years later still going strong.

Had you asked me a couple of weeks ago I'd say to go for it. I had one issue that I was told would be resolved and now I can't recommend them based on personal experience. The issue I had I assumed was an isolated incident but it happened again on another high-demand/holiday weekend. That issue is well known and widespread and seems to be easily tracked to weekends when everyone wants their fancy new smoker to work properly. The issue is that notifications stop entirely w/o warning and w/o any way to fix it from the user side.

This is a problem that is 100% in the hands of RecTeq and, after Easter Weekend, appears as though they haven't resolved the issue. This has ruined not one but two family/friend meals so I'm none-too-happy about the ongoing issue. If I had to do over again I wouldn't buy a RecTeq again which is sad to say after how many positive posts I've made about how much I loved the smoker previously. It's very well built and there's lots to like. The lack of urgency with addressing the notification from RecTeq is a black eye on what seems to be good customer service otherwise. It's just too bad it's on such an important aspect of these smokers and what you pay a premium for.

I'm sure the ReqTeq loyalists (of which I was previously a member) will be along shortly to tell me to baby sit my smokes with a manual thermometer but let's be real... that's not why we pay more for a smoker with the ability to do that automatically. Saying to do that isn't a solution to an obvious problem.

Trust me, your not going to find "anything" that is 100% satisfactory to all its owners. Every smoker on the market is going to have its qualms. Some more than others and RT is one with less of those. 5 yr warranty pretty much has your back.

I'm sure the ReqTeq loyalists (of which I was previously a member) will be along shortly to tell me to baby sit my smokes with a manual thermometer but let's be real... that's not why we pay more for a smoker with the ability to do that automatically. Saying to do that isn't a solution to an obvious problem.
@Ostrichsak , in my opinion, if you perceive it as a problem that impacts you in a way you prefer it didn't, then it's a problem for you regardless of any other opinions. I've noticed that issue in the app as well, it just doesn't happen to bother me, so it isn't an issue for ME. Perfectly reasonable for it to be something that a new buyer considers prior to buying, though. :)

I get the strong sense that RT doesn't put a ton of focus on the app side of things. I had read about that before my purchase, so eyes were wide open. I wish they did.....lots of neat things they could do with it (like Weber probably will since they bought June Systems), so I'll keep thinking positive thoughts along those lines.

MWShort, I'm not in the Tulsa area but just 2 1/2 hrs away in Norman, OK. I've had my 700 for just over month now and have done 6 cooks. I am very happy with my 700 and have not had a single issue. I you are unable find someone closer to give you a hands-on demo with their Rec Tec, let me know.

DON'T DO IT!

It is the worst purchase I ever made.. It has caused me many $$, time here with amazing folks and good cooks. My wife is looking to hand over ALL the cooking duties now.

You will eventually feed into the addiction with mods, endless accessories and sleepless nights recalling how good the ribs came out. Then you get to reverse searing and at that point it is usually all over and there is no turning back. It will take over your life and possibly marriage!!

Be very.. very careful in your decision. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Good luck.

MWShort, I was in the same situation you where in. I researched the heck out of most of the pellet grills since last fall. I finally pulled the trigger on the 700 last month. I really would've liked to actually see this grill. It was really the only thing holding me back. All the other grills I was looking at (Timberline 850, Ironwood 885, Silverton810, Camp Chef, Weber Smoke Fire, Masterbuilt, Oklahoma Joes) I looked at at least two times in the stores if not more. For the features I was looking for I kept coming back to the 700. After I put the unit together I can honestly say that if I was able to see the 700 unit earlier, i would've pulled the trigger on the 700 much sooner. I'm super impressed with how this unit is put together. I've done about 5 cooks on it so far and I'm happy with the outcome. Good Luck in your process

@mwshort, like most of us here, I too did way too much analyzing.
I had two friends recommend RT-700 to me but I spent another two weeks deciding which one. I kept coming back to the RT-700.
I truly enjoy my Bull.
Best of luck on your quest to find your next smoker.

You don’t need to see one. Go and look at Traegers build quality and heft and double it. That’s the Bull anyway. I was floored at the overbuilt quality of this thing. Temp notifications aren’t working at all for me and I intend to try to get them working, but no regrets.

@Ostrichsak , in my opinion, if you perceive it as a problem that impacts you in a way you prefer it didn't, then it's a problem for you regardless of any other opinions. I've noticed that issue in the app as well, it just doesn't happen to bother me, so it isn't an issue for ME. Perfectly reasonable for it to be something that a new buyer considers prior to buying, though. :)

I get the strong sense that RT doesn't put a ton of focus on the app side of things. I had read about that before my purchase, so eyes were wide open. I wish they did.....lots of neat things they could do with it (like Weber probably will since they bought June Systems), so I'll keep thinking positive thoughts along those lines.
That's a very mature and rational response to my post. Sadly, not everyone on the worldwide web shares your flare for the reasonable.

I obsessively researched which pellet grill to get when i decided on that route. Ultimately, I decided the 700 was the one for me. Now, I'm building an outdoor kitchen around it, and just received my 2nd Bull yesterday. Zero regrets. I do wish they would correct the notification issue during busy times (assuming it's bandwidth, it should be a cheap and easy fix), but other than that...super happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back