Wrapping

TheRicker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m gonna be cooking several pork butts and/or shoulders over the next two weekends. In my very early pellet smoker days (15-years ago), I smoked my pork unwrapped the whole cook. I found out you can over-smoke meat. You shouldn’t be burping smoke the next day. 😬

Then, after reading lots of stuff on forums and watching BBQ Pitmaster shows on TV, I started wrapping my meats when the internal temp gets to around 150. I was wrapping with foil. I feel I’m steaming the meat and it dilutes my rub a bit.

Several months ago, I’m seeing pitmasters wrap with butcher paper. So I’ve tried that over the last couple of months. I feel I’m getting moister results without feeling/tasting like it’s diluted.

Do you wrap? Why or why not? Do you wrap with foil or butcher paper? I’d love to hear about your experiences and results of your cooks.

As always, I appreciate your time and responses.

Respectfully,

TheRicker

I like the idea of wrapping pork shoulder, but more often than not I am lazy and do an overnight cook and don't feel like getting up at o'dark thirty to wrap. Frankly I think I've only wrapped once recently.

I did try my last cook on a rack over a baking pan to reclaim the juices and add them back to the shredded pork. That worked out well. I also have been cooking at 225 rather than extreme smoke so too much smoke hasn't been an issue. Finally, I've been injecting my last few pork shoulders which seems to help the moisture level.

I also have been cooking at 225 rather than extreme smoke so too much smoke hasn't been an issue.
@Pacman hit the nail on the head; keep your temps at or above 225 F to avoid over smoking. An hour of “extreme smoke” is OK before raising the grill temp to at least 225 F, but any longer than that risks over-smoking IMO.

As for wrapping, I use the uncoated pink “butcher paper” and feel that it preserves the bark better than foil. I quit using foil as a wrap a long time ago.

Great question. I‘ve seen more butts than the playboy mansion. As a former stick burning vertical smoker owner I can appreciate the “over-smoked” condition you mention. Forunately, my experiences with the RT pellet grills is completely different. I’ve cooked pork butts (usually around 14-16 pounds each) just about every way possible. Each method has benefits and pitfalls (no pun intended). Starting with the pellets, try not to use mesquite. It has a very bold flavor profile and unless you‘re from Arizona or New Mexico, can seem offensive to the average person as the fat in the pork tends to absorb way to much during cooks between 180-260 degrees (IMO). I personally prefer the taste more using cherry, apple or almond for the butts. A close second is a hickory-maple blend, or a competition blend. When it comes time for the wrap, I enjoy peach paper. It allows retention of any bark that has formed (which is the reason we are doing it outside using fire) while retaining a great deal of the moisture within the butt. When using foil, it can speed up the cooking time but it tends to “steam” the meat and destroy the bark you spent so much time developing. A “pro-tip” if forced to use foil is to wrap it finish the cook to within 5 degrees of your desired temperature and fire up the blackstone and sear the entire butt (rolling it gently on the griddle) until the bark has been re-established. (If a southerner sees you doing this you will be asked to leave the state but a Yankee won’t know the difference, lol.) Either way, make sure you save any rendered juices as they are very key to the final product. After you pull/chop the pork butt, pour it on top and mix it back into the meat. Yummy!

Just my thoughts

I like the idea of wrapping pork shoulder, but more often than not I am lazy and do an overnight cook and don't feel like getting up at o'dark thirty to wrap. Frankly I think I've only wrapped once recently.

I did try my last cook on a rack over a baking pan to reclaim the juices and add them back to the shredded pork. That worked out well. I also have been cooking at 225 rather than extreme smoke so too much smoke hasn't been an issue. Finally, I've been injecting my last few pork shoulders which seems to help the moisture level.
Roger all on smoking at a higher temp to prevent over-smoking. Conceptually, I’ve been aware of that for some years. Two things you mentioned I’d like to explore further if you’re willing: overnight cooks and injecting. I’ve done neither in my 15-years of pellet grill ownership.

I’ve had my RT for 3 years and I have a hopper very conducive to an overnight cook. But I typically put butts on early in the morning and they’re typically done in time for an evening get-together/party. I have been cooking at 275 lately. Something I’ve been trying out. Which brings me to the question of what time are you targeting to have your meat ready to warrant an overnight cook? Or, are you just cooking so low that you need to do that?

Regarding injecting, I guess I need to try it. I brine turkeys before cooking and should at least try brining a butt. Or, do the injecting and see how that impacts the results. 🤭

Great question. I‘ve seen more butts than the playboy mansion. As a former stick burning vertical smoker owner I can appreciate the “over-smoked” condition you mention. Forunately, my experiences with the RT pellet grills is completely different. I’ve cooked pork butts (usually around 14-16 pounds each) just about every way possible. Each method has benefits and pitfalls (no pun intended). Starting with the pellets, try not to use mesquite. It has a very bold flavor profile and unless you‘re from Arizona or New Mexico, can seem offensive to the average person as the fat in the pork tends to absorb way to much during cooks between 180-260 degrees (IMO). I personally prefer the taste more using cherry, apple or almond for the butts. A close second is a hickory-maple blend, or a competition blend. When it comes time for the wrap, I enjoy peach paper. It allows retention of any bark that has formed (which is the reason we are doing it outside using fire) while retaining a great deal of the moisture within the butt. When using foil, it can speed up the cooking time but it tends to “steam” the meat and destroy the bark you spent so much time developing. A “pro-tip” if forced to use foil is to wrap it finish the cook to within 5 degrees of your desired temperature and fire up the blackstone and sear the entire butt (rolling it gently on the griddle) until the bark has been re-established. (If a southerner sees you doing this you will be asked to leave the state but a Yankee won’t know the difference, lol.) Either way, make sure you save any rendered juices as they are very key to the final product. After you pull/chop the pork butt, pour it on top and mix it back into the meat. Yummy!

Just my thoughts
I loved the butts/playboy mansion reference. 😄

I have experimented with various flavored pellets over the years. I used to only buy single-flavor pellets and would use them in single-flavor cooks. Then, I started using some combinations. General favorite is an hickory, apple, and cherry mix for pork and chicken. For beef, I’m still experimenting. Generally, I’d use a mesquite but I’ve been trying some different “blends” from a few different vendors. The RecTeq blend I used recently worked pretty good. I don’t have the bag any longer but I recall it having oak in it. I’ve got a few more to try.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience regarding foil vs unwaxed butcher paper. I bought a roll of butcher paper and have used it on my last two cooks. Did a butt yesterday with it. It does seem to make the cook longer than when I used foil but the result was very good. That said, I think I need to do a better job wrapping it tightly.

Thanks…TheRicker.

I loved the butts/playboy mansion reference. 😄

I have experimented with various flavored pellets over the years. I used to only buy single-flavor pellets and would use them in single-flavor cooks. Then, I started using some combinations. General favorite is an hickory, apple, and cherry mix for pork and chicken. For beef, I’m still experimenting. Generally, I’d use a mesquite but I’ve been trying some different “blends” from a few different vendors. The RecTeq blend I used recently worked pretty good. I don’t have the bag any longer but I recall it having oak in it. I’ve got a few more to try.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience regarding foil vs unwaxed butcher paper. I bought a roll of butcher paper and have used it on my last two cooks. Did a butt yesterday with it. It does seem to make the cook longer than when I used foil but the result was very good. That said, I think I need to do a better job wrapping it tightly.

Thanks…TheRicker.
TheRicker, no problem. The best part of forums such like this includes leveraging the collective brain power of the participants to get to the next level. Keep us updated on your experimenting so we can live vicariously through your eyes. You didn’t mention what type of “paper” you purchased, but peach paper does retain more juices than generic paper. I can also confirm the cooking time is longer because the paper doesn’t create a true oven effect like the foil technique. Also, if you add another layer of pink paper and wrap as tightly as possible to keep the air out during the wrap it will retain more of the heat but it won’t seal it up like aluminum foil.

TheRicker, no problem. The best part of forums such like this includes leveraging the collective brain power of the participants to get to the next level. Keep us updated on your experimenting so we can live vicariously through your eyes. You didn’t mention what type of “paper” you purchased, but peach paper does retain more juices than generic paper. I can also confirm the cooking time is longer because the paper doesn’t create a true oven effect like the foil technique. Also, if you add another layer of pink paper and wrap as tightly as possible to keep the air out during the wrap it will retain more of the heat but it won’t seal it up like aluminum foil.

Attachments

• 375C0DEB-7742-4CFE-9545-86532F070E49.jpeg
    375C0DEB-7742-4CFE-9545-86532F070E49.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 55
Thanks. And I do enjoy this forum for the reason you stated. From my viewpoint, everyone is just being helpful in a most gracious way. No one appears to be trying to “one up” anyone else. You’re right on point…a collective of experiences.

I posted a picture of my butcher paper box.

Lastly, I have to admit I was probably trying to cut corners…in a way. How’s that? I tried wrapping in the paper on the front folding shelf of my RT-700. It’s really too narrow and close to the hot cooking chamber to do the wrapping very well. I was too freakin lazy to walk 20ft to get my 4ft wide folding table out to provide the room I really need to wrap it tight properly. 😬

That‘s the stuff. I agree on cutting down on the steps. I do that also. Fortunately, I moved the wrapping table closer to the grill for that reason. Happy grilling…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back