Working on 16lb packer for tomorrow

Man you guys are so on it! The pics I showed was from the lower portion of the point and since I made mostly burnt ends out of it, I carelessly did not pay attention to grain. I did slice the flat against the grain and it had perfect pull apart tenderness

You didn’t mention how you separated the 2, might be worth checking out a video on it. Traditional way is leaving it as one but for many of us separating turns out best. Mine alway cook differently.
The sharp, stabby, low tech thingie :eek::p

I did watch a vid on youtube that showed someone finding the (diagonal ?) fat seam between the point and the flat and cutting down that. I didn't do that, I just cut across what I thought was the most obvious juncture between the flat and the steepest part of the point. When I watched the video, I kinda went "Oh.....now I get it" :ROFLMAO:

But, like I said, the finished product came out well.

Last edited:
@Threadcutter.
I obviously no expert from all the mistakes that have been shared by others here. But just to add to your post, I have watched some great YouTube videos on trimming which is removing alot of that fat especially the "hard" fat which doesn't render down during cook. And this brisket was a kroger choice not prime. I really focus on getting fat down and especially in between 2 muscles-point/flat there is a large chunk of fat typically there I remove most nearly all of that which allowed this brisket to lay equally almost flat on grille and my temps once I reached 165 and wrapped were very close between point and flat.

@Threadcutter.
I obviously no expert from all the mistakes that have been shared by others here. But just to add to your post, I have watched some great YouTube videos on trimming which is removing alot of that fat especially the "hard" fat which doesn't render down during cook. And this brisket was a kroger choice not prime. I really focus on getting fat down and especially in between 2 muscles-point/flat there is a large chunk of fat typically there I remove most nearly all of that which allowed this brisket to lay equally almost flat on grille and my temps once I reached 165 and wrapped were very close between point and flat.
The one that I bought at Costco was "Prime". Do you suppose that "Choice" might have less total fat ? Or, would Choice just be less consistent marbling (and same or more fat than Prime ?)

Because, if Choice had less total fat, I'd go for that :)

And......the fat that I'm referring to is the fat that's internal to the point. I can/would/will trim the exterior fat to a reasonable degree on the entire brisket, but until the cook is done, there's not much trimming that can be done internally. Unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:
For the fat averse - would post smoke separation of point and flat work? Just thinking it would probably separate pretty easy, trim away the fat you don't want to serve, voila. Don't know - never tried it - I eat the fat.
That’s the only way I would make brisket burnt ends. So, others may have a different opinion, but my answer to your question is yes.

If you don't want a long cook, Jody at Recteq does a "Hot and Fast" brisket. 325 until IT 200 at the thickest part of the flat (about 5hrs, no wrap). Pull and wrap with foil and towels in a cooler for 2hrs. It is juicy and tender. Gonna do it that way on our next brisket cook.
At home we have always gone the more traditional and slow route. We have been pleased with the results. At the RT Academy we did Jody's version you described. The results were pretty darn tasty. You are trading lots of hours to infuse smoke for a five hour cook. I would not turn down either one.

The one that I bought at Costco was "Prime". Do you suppose that "Choice" might have less total fat ? Or, would Choice just be less consistent marbling (and same or more fat than Prime ?)

Because, if Choice had less total fat, I'd go for that :)

And......the fat that I'm referring to is the fat that's internal to the point. I can/would/will trim the exterior fat to a reasonable degree on the entire brisket, but until the cook is done, there's not much trimming that can be done internally. Unless I'm missing something.
I can't find the article I read or I'd repost it, but it basically said choice is a higher fat content overall and less or more inconsistent marbling in the muscles which in the end is what you really want. The prime should have lower fat content overall and better marbling but it will have a fairly decent fat cap as they call, which for you you don't care for.

I can't find the article I read or I'd repost it, but it basically said choice is a higher fat content overall and less or more inconsistent marbling in the muscles which in the end is what you really want. The prime should have lower fat content overall and better marbling but it will have a fairly decent fat cap as they call, which for you you don't care for.
Probably helpful to understand how USDA evaluates how the grading of beef takes place. As a cattle producer (or son of) most of my life, the USDA does NOT examine each side/cut of the beef for grading. The entire beef carcass is evaluated and graded accordingly. So a ´primé brisket from one source may or may not be equal, or better, than a choice brisket from another source. Better to shop with other indicators other than Choice, prime, etc.

Probably helpful to understand how USDA evaluates how the grading of beef takes place. As a cattle producer (or son of) most of my life, the USDA does NOT examine each side/cut of the beef for grading. The entire beef carcass is evaluated and graded accordingly. So a ´primé brisket from one source may or may not be equal, or better, than a choice brisket from another source. Better to shop with other indicators other than Choice, prime, etc.
Not to change topics (from brisket), but a quick comment along those lines......

As I understand it, finding a "Prime" (standing or boneless) Rib Roast is both difficult to find and much more expensive when you can find it. I've got about 20 pounds of them in the freezer that we bought at our local Market's last meat sale. They're choice and I think I paid $7.99/lb for them. They're great. The marbling is good, not too fatty and they're very flavorful.

I talked to the butcher at the market when I bought them and asked him if Prime cuts were available. He said yes, on special order and they'd be between $22.00 and $24.00/lb. So.....the Choice ones that I've purchased have been more than satisfactory. I'll spend the extra dough on "good" cuts of meat, but the Choice has been so good that I'm probably just going to stay with them.

At home we have always gone the more traditional and slow route. We have been pleased with the results. At the RT Academy we did Jody's version you described. The results were pretty darn tasty. You are trading lots of hours to infuse smoke for a five hour cook. I would not turn down either one.
I haven't been to the Academy but I do live in Augusta and frequent the We Cook Wednesday events quite oftern. We tasted Jody's brisket and it was tender and juicy. It just so happens on that day we were resting our overnight brisket cook and had a great comparison in taste to the hot and fast. It was very similar in taste/texture. For the hot and fast I would use my smoke tube for more impact.

I started a brisket this morning @ 275. It’s an experiment with doing a non trimmed. I want to see how the fat renders. Worst case scenario I’ll have more fat to trim off while eating or more to enjoy.

I believe that Aaron Franklin does his briskets at 250/275? Of course the quality of beef he gets is nothing like what we minions can get at a box store, although we may hit the jackpot from a real butcher every now and then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back