Wood Pellet Storage

I'm new to the forum today and am already enjoying the community. Others have already answered most of this but let me add my experience. I have an RT-680 here in the southern Arizona desert, and a garage where I store my pellets. But I also have a smaller Traeger up at a mountain cabin where I store my pellets in a 15' x 15' garden shed out in the back yard. No rain leaks into the inside of the shed, but it definitely follows the outside ambient conditions in wide swings of temp and humidity.

In both locations I use the 5 gallon buckets others have mentioned from Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace, but I always bite the bullet on the expense and add the gamma bucket lids those stores also sell (or like these from Amazon). The lids cost more than the buckets but they have been bulletproof for me in very hot/cold/humid conditions and in 4 years of use in both locations I have never had a pellet deterioration problem given their airtight seal. Also, the gamma lid's spin on/spin off feature is so much easier to use than the snap on/pry off bucket lids, and that feature alone makes them worth the cost to me. Good luck!

First and foremost welcome to RecTecForum @soazsun and thanks for sharing the link for the gamma lid. I didn't realize you could get those lids for 5 gallon buckets.

I most certainly will be buying some as 5 gallon buckets stack much easier!

First and foremost welcome to RecTecForum @soazsun and thanks for sharing the link for the gamma lid. I didn't realize you could get those lids for 5 gallon buckets.

I most certainly will be buying some as 5 gallon buckets stack much easier!
Yep, they're worth the money Mike. love the lids, got mine at Rural King.

I started out with 720 pounds of different flavored pellets. I laid an old shower curtain down on the concrete garage floor over in the corner and stacked them on that to keep moisture from wicking up. I still have some of those a year later and they are still fine.

Have a dumb question --- I bought several 5 gallon buckets (w/ lids) to store my pellets in. Question now is -- where can I store the buckets to keep the pellets as fresh as possible?

I know weather can play a role in the "breakdown" of the pellets. I've got 2 outdoor buildings, but they can get extremely hot inside during the summer and very cold inside during the winter. Worried about humidity.

I guess I can see if the wife will agree to let me keep them inside somewhere.

I know the 5 gallon bucket will keep pellets dry but is it possible that it will also guard against different weather conditions?

Thanks...
I store them in 5 gallon food grade buckets in garage. I use the lumberjack pellets and cut the label off the bag. I transfer pellets using home Depot bucket head. If you leave them in the bag and sit the bag on the floor it will dial up moisture from the concrete into your pellets. I have attached a pic.

Attachments

• 20190428_115314.jpg
    20190428_115314.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
Here's another option. These bags are from the Dollar store, 2 to a box. They seal like a ziploc bag.

Attachments

• 20190829_075842.jpg
    20190829_075842.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 87
They come in L, XL and XXL. The ones I have are XL.

Attachments

• 15670837610264383474443329050030.jpg
    15670837610264383474443329050030.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
These work great, and can handle two (2) 40lb. bags per each container. I did buy a much bigger scoop BTW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KJDEVA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of those costs 50 dollars plus and holds about 80 lbs. I bought a food grade 55gal drum (that was used for bbq sauce) delivered to my house for about the same price and it holds 350 pounds. It is air tight and I also put in a desiccant bag on top to to be sure.

I use a large feed scoop to scoop what I need into a 5 gallon bucket and fill the hopper when needed. Allows me to buy pellets in bulk 500 lbs at a time. The cost savings to me buying in bulk will pay for the drum in no time. Works great if you have a spot to put it.
Just my .02 cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back