Bull Wirecutter Reviews

While I don't disagree with you @TrojanUSC1 - RecTec would most likely need to setup some kind of affiliate program up for them as it's been well known for a while that Wirecutter isn't 100% honest reviews but are based almost entirely on affiliate links.

In fact XDesk, a popular standing desk company shared some emails between them and Wirecutter sometime ago - found here.

In short, unless their is a financial gain fro them, Wirecutter likely isn't going to review them.

Also keep in mind the RT prefers to curate reviews of their products. A popular website also reported that RT didn't respond well to a critical review of an earlier version of the Bullseye.

I’ve seen that letter. Concerning, but also from 6 years ago and well before NYT acquired them. This looks like a bad email idea from a neophyte CEO trying to do Biz Dev.

It’s kinda like yelp reviews. There’s some business items there skewing things, and small companies do make mistakes but overall I find them very useful and fair for items I am not familiar with. I wouldn’t go to them to review high end audio, wine, or DSLR lenses, because I know several sites devoted to those and I’d want a more technical/nuanced review. But I do go to them for air purifiers because I don’t know a reliable site for that and they will write a useful review of top brands.

I think wirecutter is awesome, flaws and all. I understand if others disagree though.

While I don't disagree with you @TrojanUSC1 - RecTec would most likely need to setup some kind of affiliate program up for them as it's been well known for a while that Wirecutter isn't 100% honest reviews but are based almost entirely on affiliate links.

In fact XDesk, a popular standing desk company shared some emails between them and Wirecutter sometime ago - found here.

In short, unless their is a financial gain fro them, Wirecutter likely isn't going to review them.
Almost just like Consumer Reports.

I’ve seen that letter. Concerning, but also from 6 years ago and well before NYT acquired them. This looks like a bad email idea from a neophyte CEO trying to do Biz Dev.

It’s kinda like yelp reviews. There’s some business items there skewing things, and small companies do make mistakes but overall I find them very useful and fair for items I am not familiar with. I wouldn’t go to them to review high end audio, wine, or DSLR lenses, because I know several sites devoted to those and I’d want a more technical/nuanced review. But I do go to them for air purifiers because I don’t know a reliable site for that and they will write a useful review of top brands.

I think wirecutter is awesome, flaws and all. I understand if others disagree though.
By no means am I telling anyone to write them off.

I too read reviews over at Wirecutter all the time. I'm simply saying first to take them with a grain of salt, really the same with any reviews.

But also, that Wirecutter isn't some Joe in the back yard doing reviews but is a business and their reviews serve a purpose and that's to make money and unless they can make money off said reviews they likely are not going to do reviews on said product.

The desk email chain is just one example. If I'm not mistaken there are at least 2-3 other instances where companies have complained about this.

It's certainly a good resource and better when you understand what you're getting going in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back