Wi Fi Setup Tips

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
One of the requirement for setting up the Rec Teq wi fi is that the app be connected on 2.4 MHz. Wi fi has two frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 MHz. The 5 MHz band has greater capacity and is better for most wi fi uses. However, it has limited range. The 2.4 MHz band has lower capacity, but it has longer range. Modern routers combine both into a single signal, and most wi fi devices will select the one that works best.

Most Internet connected devices like the Rec Teq use the 2.4 MHz band. That is because they usually have a fixed location and cannot be moved to obtain a signal. So they need the signal with the longest range.

Here are several ways to ensure connection to the 2.4 MHz band:

1. Get a wi fi extender that plugs into a wall socket. They are on the 2.4 band.
2. Set up a 2.4 MHz guest network if your router permits one. If your router permits two guest networks, set up only the 2.4 GHz one.
3. Go into your wi fi router settings and separate the two bands so that they are selectable. One you have the grill connected, you can recombine them. Once connected to the 2.4 MHz signal, it will stay connected.
4, Move your smoker and main wi fi router as far apart as possible and turn off any other routers you have online. At some distance the 5 MHz signal will disappear, leaving only the 2.4 MHz signal. You might even try putting a small piece of plywood or wall board temporarily between the router and the grill to simulate a wall and thus attenuate the 5 MHz signal.
5. Take a walk down the street with your phone until your wifi disconnects. Then walk back toward home until the wifi reconnects. That will be the long range 2.4 MHz signal. Connect your app to that signal and return to your grill for setup.

Some security software will interfere with wi fi setup. One common one is a VPN which encrypts all data to keep it private. You need to turn off the VPN to connect the grill. VPNS have the nasty habit of reconnecting automatically. So start the connection process first and then quickly turn off the VPN.

Last edited:
I could not get my cell phone into 2.4 GHz mode by walking down the street method. I used my wife's iPad to set up my Stampede. Once setup both our 5 GHz cell phones Rec Teq apps worked great. Another way that might work is to turn on your Guest network in your router and connect to it. It might operate in the 2.4 GHz mode then you can perform the set up. My Orbi mesh router Guest network still used the 5 GHz mode so I was out of luck.

I could not get my cell phone into 2.4 GHz mode by walking down the street method. I used my wife's iPad to set up my Stampede. Once setup both our 5 GHz cell phones Rec Teq apps worked great. Another way that might work is to turn on your Guest network in your router and connect to it. It might operate in the 2.4 GHz mode then you can perform the set up. My Orbi mesh router Guest network still used the 5 GHz mode so I was out of luck.

Thanks for the guest network tip. I have added it to my post.

Thanks for the guest network tip. I have added it to my post.
@Mlmurrah I am not sure if the Guest network way to connect the RecTeq WiFi works or not. It is something I read someplace. Have you heard of anyone that it worked for them? There might be some kind of security setting that prevents a guest from setting up an app in the home network. Maybe someone can try it out.

@Mlmurrah I am not sure if the Guest network way to connect the RecTeq WiFi works or not. It is something I read someplace. Have you heard of anyone that it worked for them? There might be some kind of security setting that prevents a guest from setting up an app in the home network. Maybe someone can try it out.
I use guest network for mine. It's a way of allowing internet access for devices while separating them from your actual network. The grill has no need to connect with my PCs so don't let it.

It should work. My Apple Airport Extreme router has a guest account, and it operates at 2.4MHz. I did an Internet search and found several references that some routers have both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz guest accounts.

Or just call the Recteq IT support department, took them 5 minutes!

That did not work for me. After several phone sessions, they decided to send me a new controller. Before it arrived I happened to see a post that mentioned but provided no guidance for VPNs. That was an "aha' moment. I turned off the VPN on my phone, and it connected! I told them about my success and offered to return the controller but they told me to keep it. I am a bit surprised that they had not run across the VPN problem before.

That did not work for me. After several phone sessions, they decided to send me a new controller. Before it arrived I happened to see a post that mentioned but provided no guidance for VPNs. That was an "aha' moment. I turned off the VPN on my phone, and it connected! I told them about my success and offered to return the controller but they told me to keep it. I am a bit surprised that they had not run across the VPN problem before.
Well maybe they will update their WiFi Setup Manual with the VPN and Guest Network info. After you got her all set up, did the Rec Teq app still work when you turned the VPN back on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back