Rec Tec Wifi setup tips

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
With the release of the new Rec Tec wifi controller I've been seeing a lot of questions about how to setup the wifi controller and connecting to the Rec Tec app to your wifi.

Here are a few tips when setting up your Rec Tec wi-fi controller:
  1. The most common issue I've seen is users are trying to connect while on a 5Ghz wifi network. When I was setting up my new Rec Tec Bull I simply logged into my router and disabled the 5Ghz wireless network. Once the app was connected to the wifi controller I then re-enabled the 5Ghz network and everything is fine.

2. Another issue I've seen is owners download the Rec Tec app (android/apple) then try to login using their Rec Tec store login. The app and rectecgrill store account are not the same. You need to create a new account for the mobile app.

Those are the most common issues / complaints I've seen when owners are setting up the new WiFi controller. Have you experienced any issues yourself? If so please do share!

I have a question. I'm connected 2.4. If that the only band? I know you need to connect on 2.4 during set up. But is there a way to go to 5.0 so it can run on both frequencies? Tia
Mike

@Ironmike86, the wifi controller only works using the 2.4Ghz band.

That said I have a Ubiquiti AC-LR access point and I have it configured so that my wireless SSID is on both the 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz band. During the wifi controller setup I turned off the 5.0Ghz band, connected to the grill. After the initial setup I turned on the 5.0Ghz band and all is good.

When the wifi controller and app are connected it just defaults to the 2.4Ghz band.

Make sense?

Having way too many internet connected things, I finally gave up on the SSID being the same. If I had a better WAP, maybe it would steer clients to the right band better (I think the Ubiquiti ones do, but you have to have a controller running) but for now, I just have my SSID and SSID-5g for the two bands. There's enough 2.4 only devices out there (because they want range, not bandwidth) that it just causes me less problems that way.

Yup that's how I ended up doing it. It kept dropping after the set up. But not once I named a 2.4 only. I just use that. Doesn't drop now. Shouldn't have after the set up anyways. But dunno finicky. I LIKE THE wifi.

With the release of the new Rec Tec wifi controller I've been seeing a lot of questions about how to setup the wifi controller and connecting to the Rec Tec app to your wifi.

1. The most common issue I've seen is users are trying to connect while on a 5Ghz wifi network. When I was setting up my new Rec Tec Bull I simply logged into my router and disabled the 5Ghz wireless network. Once the app was connected to the wifi controller I then re-enabled the 5Ghz network and everything is fine.

2. Another issue I've seen is owners download the Rec Tec app (android/apple) then try to login using their Rec Tec store login. The app and rectecgrill store account are not the same. You need to create a new account for the mobile app.

Those are the most common issues / complaints I've seen when owners are setting up the new WiFi controller. Have you experienced any issues yourself? If so please do share!

I installed the controller set up a new account tried connecting the grille to my cell and keeping getting connection failed error.
Pat

These two tips are the things I had to deal with. In my case I gave the 5Ghz band a unique name so I would know the RT was trying to connect only with the 2.4Ghz band. The other thing is to make sure you know your password! The RT doesn't give you error messages.

I also purchased the stampede and I love it but the wifi has not stayed connected the 3 cooks I have done with it

Okay, so now I too have a question. My Stampede connected to wifi with no issues (that I could tell) from the get go. It tracks and logs temp/time just fine, I can monitor and change temp from many locations, but today I just tried to remote start with the phone and no Bueno. It gives me the challenge screen that prompts "type in the word yes if you mean to turn it on". I type in "yes" (tried with various upper and lower case as well) but it doesn't respond. Any experienced suggestions?

I wanted to mention I was having problems with my wifi connection dropping. I opened up the controller and found the wire antenna had come unattached from the ipex connector. I jammed the wired back into the connector as a temporary fix but for permanent I ordered new ones on Amazon.

2PCS 2.4Ghz WiFi Internal Built-in PCB Antenna 5dBi IPX IPEX Connector FPC Omni Bluetooth USA Shipping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7DBN1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mYzvCbJ3WWZBX

I wanted to mention I was having problems with my wifi connection dropping. I opened up the controller and found the wire antenna had come unattached from the ipex connector. I jammed the wired back into the connector as a temporary fix but for permanent I ordered new ones on Amazon.

2PCS 2.4Ghz WiFi Internal Built-in PCB Antenna 5dBi IPX IPEX Connector FPC Omni Bluetooth USA Shipping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7DBN1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mYzvCbJ3WWZBX
@druw900 how is the new wifi antenna working for you? Any better than the factory unit? Any better range?

We have a netgear orbi, and they try very hard to prevent you from splitting the SSIDs into two separate ones for each frequency.

What worked for me was logging in, and temporarily disable SSID broadcasting for the 5ghz band. Not disabling it, just stopping the SSID from being broadcast. Then, I disconnected my cell phone and had it "forget" the network. Then I refreshed and re-connected to the advertised SSID (2.4Ghz). At that point, I could complete the setup. Afterwards, I just re-enabled broadcasting the 5ghz SSID and everything is working fine.

Probably not a common issue for most, but I run a VPN on my phone and could not make the connection until I disconnected from the VPN.

Of the many complaints I have read in forums and Facebook it sounds like the devices are an issue. I run an ASUS router using the service providers device as a modem only. I have their wireless disabled. The ASSUS give me more channels so I have one that’s strictly for my Bull.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back