Why the name change to Rec TeQ?

One of the co-founders, Ron Cundy, is an attorney. I'd expect they took appropriate measures when starting the company, but things can change and emerge over time.
I didn't know Ron was a attorney, I think Ray used to sell cars. Anyways they have a great company with a great reputation, service and products.

I saw somewhere that TEC Gas Grills got tired of the significant others coming into their stores to buy accessories for their husband’s or wife’s REC TEC Grill. They got their panties in a bunch and moved forward with their complaints, and here we are. This is just what I read and not my personal opinion.

Nice find. Look likes the claim against Rec Tec Industries for grills was dismissed.

"Opposer did not address the goods identified in International Class 4 (wood pellets being fuel) at all and has not met its burden to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that confusion is likely as to those goods. We dismiss the opposition as to the Class 4 goods"

Nevertheless, "recteq" it is.

Now I need a new t-shirt.

I’d think securing a trademark on the company name would be a first step in a startup, no?
You certainly make a reasonable effort to ensure you have a unique name and logo before starting to use them, but it's not obvious what a judge will find to be a violation. It's entirely plausible they knew about "TEC Grills" and thought "RecTec" was sufficiently different to be in the clear. To my mind it is.

In any case, picking a name is indeed hard, but it's one of the least difficult or critical aspects of building a company from scratch. Worry about making money first, then worry about getting your wrist slapped. If you never make money then the wrist slap won't matter.

Received my RT-700 today and the front shelf had the new logo stamped into it. They also updated the name on the controller. Looking forward to cooking on it!

Received my RT-700 today and the front shelf had the new logo stamped into it. They also updated the name on the controller. Looking forward to cooking on it!
Good luck with the cook. I hope your Rec Teq cooks as good as my Rec Tec ;).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back