Bull What type of sausage is best to smoke ?

zueth

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am doing some ribs this weekend and want to smoke some store bought sausage at the same time. What has everybody found is the best? Should I grill for a few minutes on each side first before I smoke it ?

I've only done Kielbasa, smoked at 225 till 160 with no grilling. Just a guess but if you want it grilled maybe smoke to 120 or some such then grill till it hits 160ish. Took something like an hour.

Rabideaux’s is my favorite but you will have to drive to south Louisiana to get it. We go there once or twice a year and stock up. Personally I have found the local stuff to be the best. Our Kroger's sells several Texas made brands and those are the ones I always get. Two years ago one of them had a hatch chili sausage that I really liked. They never sold it this past year unfortunately.

I never smoke mine. I usually just cook it on the gas grill instead of on the RT.

If I am already smoking something, I just throw on and smoke it for an hour or two. Usually just whatever Kielbasa I picked up. Doesn't really matter, as its only going to improve whatever you have.

I was reading if you don’t grill a few minutes first before smoking the casing can be chewy.

anybody else had this problem?

I was reading if you don’t grill a few minutes first before smoking the casing can be chewy.

anybody else had this problem?
It might depend on the casing that’s used. I can’t speak for all sausages, but my favorite brats and natural casing hot dogs are actually less chewy smoked than they are grilled.

Last edited:
The local made Kielbasa and the Blue Seal we get at Costco is just the opposite, both have more chewy skin and seem a bit tougher overall when grilled. Cooking method depends which flavor and texture we feel like.

I've smoked some raw lousianna style links as well as precooked types. For a store bought, find it everywhere sausage, I like the Hillshire Farms Kielbasa. I've bought them in bulk from Costco and made them for a big family gathering or block parties, served sliced as appetizers with some Beaver brand sweet hot mustard. No grilling. I take care in not bursting the skin during smoking. Cherry and apple make for nice smoke and color. I smoke at low temperature to keep them from bursting and losing all the juices. 180-200F for 3 hours or more. If you're doing ribs at 225F, you can try it, but if you notice they burst and start losing juices, just pull them and serve. Otherwise you'll have dry sausage.

I always throw on some andouille sausage when I'm cooking ribs. I haven't tried other sausages yet though so I can't compare.

We love to serve smoked or grilled Linguica sausage with yellow mustard for dipping. My Portuguese friends insist on Silva brand.

I just smoked some "Tarantino Mild Italian Sausage" out of San Diego that I bought at Costco. The casings were nice and tender. I'm new to things and I smoked them to an internal temp of 170 degrees. Even though that is a little on the high side, they came out nice and juicy, they were great !

Tarantino Mild Italian Sausage.jpeg

http://www.tarantinosausage.com/products/tarantino-gourmet-sausages/mild-italian/

Beware though, these ARE NOT the Costco branded sausage. I had smoked some of them previously and you needed a chainsaw to cut through the casing. Not good.

Oh yeah, Beaver Brand anything, FTW ! :love:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back