Bull What should I smoke first?

Solarity

Just ordered my RT-700 yesterday. I have been wanting a pellet style smoker/grill for years. I told my wife I wanted to order a smoker and she said "okay". She doesn't know the price, but says she is excited. :)

I retired my old Pot Smoker that I haven't used in years, due to multiple factors. I made a lot of pulled pork, brisket, turkey and beef clod in it. I look forward to the size, durability, and automation that the RT-700 offers. I also got the pellet kit as well.

I plan to mostly smoke on this. I do also have a Weber Genesis that I plan to use for grilling and searing.

Any suggestions on a first dish?

Attachments

• 20200619_180749.jpg
    20200619_180749.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
Something your are familiar with that you did in the old pot smoker. That way you can compare and and contrast. And something forgiving to allow latitude with the new unit.

Burgers or chicken thighs…or both are easy. You can throw them on right after the burn in. Adjust temp to where you want it and go.

Also, I have never used pots to smoke meat before. Kinda cool actually. But don’t expect the smoke flavor to be the same. I came from using a Weber kettle smoking I detect using briquettes and wood chunks. Makes for a really nice smoke flavor. Pellet grills definitely have a milder smoke flavor than using wood chunks. That said I have pretty much remedied that problem by adding a pellet tube to the grill surface. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, I have never used pots to smoke meat before. Kinda cool actually. But don’t expect the smoke flavor to be the same. I came from using a Weber kettle smoking I detect using briquettes and wood chunks. Makes for a really nice smoke flavor. Pellet grills definitely have a milder smoke flavor than using wood chunks. That said I have pretty much remedied that problem by adding a pellet tube to the grill surface. Just something to keep in mind.

Any suggestions on a pellet tube? I have a smoking box for wood chunks. I like a lot of smoke flavor.

pot smoker lol. that’s actually brilliant and i love it. i bet it works great like a big green egg. i really love to smoke steaks at 200 until they hit 110 internal and then remove them and turn grill to 500 or even better use your weber and sear until 135. the flavor is better than the best steakhouse

pot smoker lol. that’s actually brilliant and i love it. i bet it works great like a big green egg. i really love to smoke steaks at 200 until they hit 110 internal and then remove them and turn grill to 500 or even better use your weber and sear until 135. the flavor is better than the best steakhouse
This. 👆

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back