Trailblazer What should I cook

Brett

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My trailblazer arrives tomorrow!

I don’t think I’ve been this excited since I was a kid waiting for Christmas Day. Still trying to figure out what I should cook first. I am new to pellet grills and smoking so any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

At this point it may be more of what you can purchase rather than what you desire.
RT suggest greasy food for first cook. Lots of folks do bacon just to kind of season the grill.
If you do bacon I would suggest using a cookie sheet covered in foil and then a rack on top with your bacon on it. No sense it letting all that grease down into your drip pan.
Welcome and good smoking!

Bacon seasons really good. Chicken thighs, butts are pretty easy and very forgiving. Easy on the nerves for first smoke.

At this point it may be more of what you can purchase rather than what you desire.
RT suggest greasy food for first cook. Lots of folks do bacon just to kind of season the grill.
If you do bacon I would suggest using a cookie sheet covered in foil and then a rack on top with your bacon on it. No sense it letting all that grease down into your drip pan.
Welcome and good smoking!
If using sheet pans, be careful to start with a clean grill & drip pan. I found out the hard way on Sunday. I was lazy and didn't change out the foil from a previous cook. There was more grease left behind than I realized ... and started a bit of a grease fire cooking bacon on my 2 brand new half-sheet pans & racks. My fault, and a valuable lesson.

My vote is for chicken........be it parts, 1/2's, Spatchcock or whole. I cut up 3 whole chickens and spread out 24 pcs into my Bull, front to back and side to side at 425F for 45-60 mins. That definitely splashed chicken grease everywhere........:D. Mission accomplished! To the point it was dripping from the bottom of the lid (watch for that if you're concerned with your deck, patio, etc.). You're gonna love your Rec Tec and welcome!

Thank you for all the suggestions! I ended up going with ribs because my buddy had a couple slabs he gave me, And they turned out absolutely amazing! Going to do butt tomorrow.

Attachments

• 66CD2885-2F41-484C-9CD2-F3C8C87F85D1.jpeg
    66CD2885-2F41-484C-9CD2-F3C8C87F85D1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 90DED21A-A2BC-42FA-B10F-24EB1F58432A.jpeg
    90DED21A-A2BC-42FA-B10F-24EB1F58432A.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 82
My trailblazer arrives tomorrow!

I don’t think I’ve been this excited since I was a kid waiting for Christmas Day. Still trying to figure out what I should cook first. I am new to pellet grills and smoking so any suggestions or recommendations would be great.
Bacon is always a good starter. Good grease and amazing end product. I made bacon yesterday. Started for more than an hour at 180, then slowly ramped up the temp 225. 250 until done. Super crispy ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back