What is your frying pan of choice?

I've got the Ninja non-sticks. Hex Clad pricing and reviews kept me from going that route.
One handed Flipping (sauté) or something delicate like crepes or omelets (also flip-able) go in non-stick.
Otherwise Lodge. I’ve also flipped a frittata in a large lodge but it’s a two handed job. It was just to prove ci can be non-stick.

Several of our old cheaper frying pans have seen much better days. Looking at either the Made In (non-stick) or HexClad pans.

Have you tried either or those or have a brand you'd suggest?
Hexclad for sure! If you only can afford one, get the dutch oven!!!!!! It's the one n done. I prefer to fry in it, sides catch splatter. Was leery because of price, worth every penny. If your veteran, go thru id.me hexclad offers discount through.

@Mike, I bought a new induction cooktop/range recently, and received a set of Circulon cookware as a ‘rebate’. I originally planned to donate all of it as I’m pretty happy with what I use now. It looks like it is very similar to the HexClad technology, but perhaps the raised SS ribs are a little higher. Given This discussion, I decided to break out the small skillet and try frying an egg. Butter was added for flavor, as I do with my other non-stick skillets. I actually was quite impressed! I took a video of this egg sliding around in the skillet, but apparently I don’t recall how to link a video in this forum.

IMG_0982.jpeg
IMG_1986.jpeg

I’ve heard differing route as to cleaning cast iron. Personally I just do what is needed to get it clean, sometimes it’s just wipe out with a paper towel, more often it’s soapy water and a scrubber of some sort, at least when frying. I just wipe on a little oil when I’m done. most often for fish in the square skillet I line it with foil.

@Mike, I bought a new induction cooktop/range recently, and received a set of Circulon cookware as a ‘rebate’. I originally planned to donate all of it as I’m pretty happy with what I use now. It looks like it is very similar to the HexClad technology, but perhaps the raised SS ribs are a little higher. Given This discussion, I decided to break out the small skillet and try frying an egg. Butter was added for flavor, as I do with my other non-stick skillets. I actually was quite impressed! I took a video of this egg sliding around in the skillet, but apparently I don’t recall how to link a video in this forum.
I have looked at induction, how well do your other pots, pans, skillets work with the induction top? My impression is the bottoms must be really flat to the surface? Ooops off topic, back to the regular programming.

I have looked at induction, how well do your other pots, pans, skillets work with the induction top? My impression is the bottoms must be really flat to the surface? Ooops off topic, back to the regular programming.
I’ve used two other indiction units for multiple years now. The ultra high priced Control Freak in my kitchen and the budget priced Duxtop that most reviews put at their top budget choice. I keep the Duxtop outside for use with my grills. The only real concern is 100% aluminum pans will not work, as well as copper or glass. Aluminum clad with SS like the All-Clad and other quality cookware work fine. I’ve used a really cheap pan that my wife bought for herself and the only issue, if this even counts, is that it was uneven enough that the pan would ‘sing’ in use due to the vibration because of a less that flat bottom. Cast iron, carbon steel, SS clad pans with or without an aluminum core are all fine.

Hexclad is $300 off. Still expensive, but they are good pans.
I'm not sure if that "sale" isn't actually a permanent sale as I've been going back and forth between HexClad and Made In and both are in the $300-350 range.

Actually, I just looked up a past version of the same set on HexClad from back in May of this year.... while the "price" changes, the sale price hasn't changed in months. Typical marketing BS.

1699402416829.png

As noted above, cleaning CI is pretty basic. While warm, wipe it down with a lint free cloth, then rinse with hot water and wipe dry. Where it gets more complicated is the seasoning. I typically don’t put mine away without a light (e.g., barely noticeable but shiny) coating of Grapeseed Oil (due to it’s high temps) and put it on a range or in my gasser for a few minutes. The primary rule is never put it away wet and season it a couple of times a year. It will last you forever.

One thing not mentioned, enameled cast iron (think Le Creuset, Lodge and others). They are relatively maintenance free do a wonderful job in most temperature ranges but, can chip or crack if not handled properly. I have more cooking devices than I need but work them all into use depending on the type of food, cooking profile, or my mood. One pro-tip thought for keeping the home-front peaceful, the outdoor cooking devices are for outdoors only. Don’t even think about taking the good looking, pristine, indoor cooking devices, out for a walk to the grill. They will never be the same and you will only make enemies, lol.

One final item regarding coated skillets - Be cautious as some coatings (teflon and similar) may not healthy for you.

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_7484.jpeg

IMG_7478.jpeg

One pro-tip thought for keeping the home-front peaceful, the outdoor cooking devices are for outdoors only. Don’t even think about taking the good looking, pristine, indoor cooking devices, out for a walk to the grill. They will never be the same and you will only make enemies, lol.
You got that right! 🤣

Thanks for the response @Mike. I'm thinking of going cast iron as I don't do much cooking where I am rushed. What do you mean by cleaning "could" be more complicated? I'm assuming you don't want to clean them very aggressively or put in the dishwasher but not sure as I've never had cast iron. Once seasoned are they as non-stick as a non-stick pan?
You NEVER want to put your cast iron in a dishwasher. Lodge makes a kit for cleaning cast iron. It consists of a plastic scraper for getting rid of stubborn particles, a plastic bristle brush for gentle scrubbing, and some canola oil for coating the pan after it’s nice and dry (5 minutes over a low flame will get rid of moisture in the pores). My 12” Lodge skillet is my go-to for cooking bacon out on the patio. I can fit 1/2 lb. of bacon in it after cutting it in half lengthwise.

I have Hexclad and really love them. They clean up very easily. I highly recommend them!

I don't have a favorite brand, but we were in Pennsylvania once and stopped at a small roadside vendor. Amish or the like. That gentleman advised me that I should look for skillets with a ring on the bottom. I've followed his advice for probably 40 years now.

I’ve heard differing route as to cleaning cast iron. Personally I just do what is needed to get it clean, sometimes it’s just wipe out with a paper towel, more often it’s soapy water and a scrubber of some sort, at least when frying. I just wipe on a little oil when I’m done. most often for fish in the square skillet I line it with foil.

NEVER use soap on a seasoned cast iron pan!!!!! I use a stainless steel chain mail scrubby for anything stubborn with a bit of course kosher salt, but typically just some kosher salt and a paper towel suffice. Always want to re-season after a few cooks/cleanings, I use a bit of avocado oil and put in oven at 350 for about 5 minutes.

To each his own, we’ve been using it on our Wagners for many years, no degradation I can see.

its not like we soak the pans, we use paper towels dipped in the dish water, rinse, dry, and occasionally re oil.

Hmm, we’ve got a couple of All-Clad stainless steel frying pans, one is a pan the other is a skillet. Used them for years - excellent pans.

For our Cajun dishes, I use a couple of cast iron pans that I’ve used since the ‘70s. The are properly seasoned usually nothing sticks on those either unless I’m searing near 600° :eek:

I try to avoid any sort of nonstick pan. I’ve never been able to keep them nonstick for more than a year or two. Others may have better luck.

Invest in good quality pans and you’ll only have to make the purchase one time.

NEVER use soap on a seasoned cast iron pan!!!!! I use a stainless steel chain mail scrubby for anything stubborn with a bit of course kosher salt, but typically just some kosher salt and a paper towel suffice. Always want to re-season after a few cooks/cleanings, I use a bit of avocado oil and put in oven at 350 for about 5 minutes.
👆Troof. My grandma will come back from her grave and haunt us all. 🤣

First thing ever learned about cast iron cookware. Never, ever use soap to clean cast iron. We often resort to letting the pan soak overnight in water then use Kosher Salt to scrub the pan if need. Don’t forget to reseason (wipe) your pan with peanut oil or your fav high temp oil after easy use.

I’m not going to try and convince anyone that it’s OK to use a little modern dish soap in cast iron, but I will say there is a reason why grandma said not to. My grandma made her own lye soap, and that stuff would peel paint off the barn! I’ve never had a problem with today’s dish soaps and cast iron, even brands like Dawn that claim they are best at cutting grease.

From Field Compamy

Vintage Pans, Old-School Rules​

The idea that cast iron and soap don’t mix dates to the days when household soaps and cleaning agents included harsh active ingredients like vinegar and lye. These old-fashioned soaps were avoided for good reason: acids like vinegar can strip seasoning, and lye-based products can damage both seasoning and the underlying iron.

Today, most dish soaps don’t contain harmful, abrasive ingredients and are perfectly safe for use with cast iron cookware and just about everything else in your kitchen. These modern soaps can be classified as de-greasers: they’re designed to cut through tough, greasy stains, making it easy to remove lingering food residue. If you have stubborn or strong-flavored residue on your skillet, a hit of soap will help.

So, it’s fine to soap up your skillet! Here are a few tips on when to lather up:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back