Bullseye Weld Issues

It is really sad to watch a once-respected company slide into the “equity partner” abyss! Unfortunately, it is an all-too-common spectacle these days. In the not-too-distant future, I’m going to upgrade from my RT-340 and its replacement certainly won’t be a Recteq product!
I hear you. I'm already on record that RT was my second choice, and I decided to save a few bucks and go with them. It's a good grill, but I regret not going the way I was originally going to go given some of the responses and complete BS that people have reported RT support saying.

My next grill will be made in Texas, by Americans. (Rhymes with shits and gets) ;)

Last edited:
I can be to but, when substitutes for what you want are limited, sometimes it makes sense to get what you want even if it takes a little effort.
I agree the bullseye is kind of a niche thing. No one else really makes something like that.

I think it would depend on how much I really need/want the item. In this particular case, it seems to be a quality control issue.

I do have to wonder if a little JB Weld over the area would simply just fix it. They do make a extreme heat expoxy that is good for up to 2400 degrees that is designed for fireboxes, etc. (1 second steaks, anyone?). Slap some of that over the area, let it cure, and sand it down. I'd probably recommend a burn in once cured.

I agree the bullseye is kind of a niche thing. No one else really makes something like that.

I think it would depend on how much I really need/want the item. In this particular case, it seems to be a quality control issue.

I do have to wonder if a little JB Weld over the area would simply just fix it. They do make a extreme heat expoxy that is good for up to 2400 degrees that is designed for fireboxes, etc. (1 second steaks, anyone?). Slap some of that over the area, let it cure, and sand it down. I'd probably recommend a burn in once cured.

Yes.. I can totally relate to the niche desired product in this case and putting in the efforts to get what you want.

I guess the JB weld thing is a individual decision and what someone would be willing to settle on. I think for me at least I’d take this last chance and be optimistic they send a good unit. After that, I’d have to consider my next move.

Yes.. I can totally relate to the niche desired product in this case and putting in the efforts to get what you want.

I guess the JB weld thing is a individual decision and what someone would be willing to settle on. I think for me at least I’d take this last chance and be optimistic they send a good unit. After that, I’d have to consider my next move.
Having to re-send 6 replacement grills will make RT rethink the 15%

@JGW I agree the JB Weld solution would probably work I just felt I shouldn’t have to fix a brand new grill and live with having to touch it up over the life of the grill. If a pin hole developed after a couple of years of ownership I would definitely try a fix like that. I could put up with a ding or a scratch but a hole, however small, just didn’t set well with me.

@JGW I agree the JB Weld solution would probably work I just felt I shouldn’t have to fix a brand new grill and live with having to touch it up over the life of the grill. If a pin hole developed after a couple of years of ownership I would definitely try a fix like that. I could put up with a ding or a scratch but a hole, however small, just didn’t set well with me.
Oh, I don't blame you at all. You paid for a grill without defects, you should get one without defects.

That tech bringing up the 15% restocking fee would have got my wrath coming from both barrels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back