Weber Q as “searing station”

dan end

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have and love my RT-700 but I’m a bit frustrated with the searing action even with the sear kit. It is slow the heat up if you are trying to get a good sear at the end of a cook. I also sous vide occasionally so I’m looking for something small, quick and easy to use as a searing station for both. Has anyone done something similar as a companion to their Rec Teq? Any recommendations?

I’ll offer some options based on my experience and opinion. YMMV.

1. If you have a 2 RPM RecTeq motor in your grill it is really a 1.6 RPM motor. I’d consider upgrading to an actual 2 RPM motor that really speeds up temp increases. I upgraded using THIS motor on my and my son’s 700 and it made a huge difference (40-45 minutes to 500 vs. 18 minutes). Definitely worth the $25. Some folks have used a 3 RPM motor as well but I don’t have a link for that.

2. How hot do you need your grill for searing? I can get my 700 from 225 to 500 in about 5-8 minutes with the upgraded motor. I’m sure the 3 RPM gets it done faster.

3. I ended up getting a Bullseye to take camping in our 5th wheel and now use it for my searing at home as well. Before I dolled out $250-400 on a Weber Q I’d consider the the motor upgrade and/or a Bullseye as long as the price stays at $399. If size of the grill is important them maybe the Bullseye won’t work for you but either way try a motor upgrade and you may not feel like you need anything else.

Good luck!

I'd recommend cooking your steaks on a lump charcoal/wood fire, in a grill that closes up, like a komado/Kettle or other. Use a cheap weed burner to start it in a jiffy.

A table-top Weber Kettle is cheap and efficient for steaks. If you get the right equipment, a charcoal grill can be ready to grill in 10 minutes or less.

IMO, a pellet grilled steak is a compromise.

I'd recommend cooking your steaks on a lump charcoal/wood fire, in a grill that closes up, like a komado/Kettle or other. Use a cheap weed burner to start it in a jiffy.

A table-top Weber Kettle is cheap and efficient for steaks. If you get the right equipment, a charcoal grill can be ready to grill in 10 minutes or less.

IMO, a pellet grilled steak is a compromise.
I agree with everything you just said - I don't care for smoked steak. I just purchased a Kamado and ditched my weber gas grill. What a difference! Love my 1250, just not for steaks. My current set up consists of my 1250, Kamado, and a Blaze 30" griddle - life is good!

I agree with everything you just said - I don't care for smoked steak. I just purchased a Kamado and ditched my weber gas grill. What a difference! Love my 1250, just not for steaks. My current set up consists of my 1250, Kamado, and a Blaze 30" griddle - life is good!

I've had a couple of Bubba Kegs (Broil King Keg) insulated doublewall steel komado for the past 15 years. I have a charcoal basket that I can put either in the bottom or raise to just under the grate. This setup works well for me.
DSC_1479.JPG
41XKRiUctKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
DSC_1483.JPG

I have a weber Q, its pretty slow to heat up, just not enough BTU's.

I use a Weber Kettle for steaks, burgs, and such.

Thanks for all the feedback and quick responses. I've recently come from years and years of charcoal and eventually Komodo's and have been looking to make things easier for cooks during the week or when I'm boating on the weekend. That was what I was looking for when I bought my RT-700 but agree that it is a "jack of all trades" and the biggest weakness IMO is searing where a char is desired.

I'll start with the motor as that sounds like a pretty easy/cheap thing to experiment with. I was considering the Bullseye, but I've been scared off a bit by the grease fire reports I've read. I agree that the charcoal kettle is probably the best answer from a flavor perspective, but I'm lazy and trying to avoid the "hassle" for a quick sear.

I'll keep watching for more ideas!

I haven’t had a grease fire yet in the Bullseye. I’ve done steaks, burgers, chicken thighs among others. I’ve had flare ups but when I close the lid the flames go out. I only cook one or two steaks at a time and haven’t done more than 5 burgers but I load up the grill on chicken thighs.

When i cook steaks on the Bullseye it’s 500 degrees all they way. I don’t do slow cook reverse sears on steaks. No smoked flavor at that temp and with the GrillGrate I don‘t feel like there is any compromise on the sear at all or I’d turn it up to Riot mode.

One time at a campground I saw a fellow grilling directly on top of a charcoal chimney starter. He had a small grate of some kind and once the chimney starter got the coals hot, instead if dumping out the glowing coals, he just cooked right on top of it. Could probably only do one steak at a time, but it would only take a minute or so per steak that was already close to the desired internal temp.

fcccffd0-66ec-4f43-9209-ad9260a048a9.jpg._CB301024079_.jpg

I just used my Weber-Q yesterday to crisp up some chicken thighs after getting some smoke on 'em.
It does take a bit to get the cast iron grate up to temp. Just plan ahead. Works for me.

How about a cast iron skillet and a small butane burner. You do have to wait for the skillet to cool before cleaning it.

I would also consider the upgraded motor if I was you. I have the RT-700 and RecTeq sold me the RT-1250 motor which I believe is 3rpm......I just haven't had a chance to install it. But I do have a Bullseye for charring. But if I didn't have the Bullseye, the 700 can sear with grill grates fairly well when I did it. It just was annoying b/c it would take so long to get to 500 or more. With the new motor as others said, it can get there pretty fast. Not like 30 plus minutes it would for me.

I like your line up Bneal, thinking of adding a Kamodo style cooker one day as well

I seared on my old Weber kettle for about 6 months after getting my 700. Then I bought a Bullseye. Haven't lit the Weber since.

I seared on my old Weber kettle for about 6 months after getting my 700. Then I bought a Bullseye. Haven't lit the Weber since.
👆This👆

Set it for riot mode, wait till temp hits 750ish degrees, throw meats on the grill.
Did some Reverse Sear Ribeyes on the Recteq Bullseye last night using the Grilled ribeye with Garlic recipe. The piece on the left was about 1" thick and the one on the right was ~2" thick. 250 F for ~ 1 hour and 120 in the thick piece and 150 in the thinner piece. Raise temp to riot mode and sear the steaks on grill grates. medium rare for me and medium well for the better half. A bit of HeyGrillHey garlic resting butter and life is good.
616_Steak.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back