We Don’t Eat Enough!

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Ok, so that really isn’t true. But, the problem is with what my wife and I eat, I really only get to do about one or two briskets and two maybe three pork butts per year. It sure is difficult to hone one’s culinary skills with so much passage of time in-between cooks. I do keep some notes and that helps. But, by the time the next cook comes around, I feel like I am starting from scratch again. So, it is very difficult to get reliable results. How do you guys deal with this?

Look Dude, you need to cook more. It is only my wife and I as well, but I cook up a storm. This weekend, Friday, Salmon on the Blackstone, Saturday, Pork Chops, Sous Vide then finish on the Blackstone, Breakfast this morning on the Blackstone and yes finally today, Outside skirt steaks on the Bullseye!

We cook and either eat during the week or freeze.

I have a 590, Bullseye and Blackstone, use them all!

I keep our freezer stocked and then plan out weekly meals. We rarely eat out, honestly my cooking is better!

I agree you need to cook more to stay in smoking shape, but I may smoke twice a month on my 590, 3-4 times on the Bullseye, weekly on the Blackstone.

If you don't have a Blackstone, you can use the 590 with grill grates for Chicken, Burgers, Steaks, Salmon, etc. I cooked all of this on the 590 before I got the Bullseye and Blackstone.

We only cook briskets or pork butts once or twice a month. Expand your horizons!

FYI, I document all of my first time cooks, once I have it down, i just follow the recipe!

Last edited:
I actually totally get what you're saying. When I used to cook other things, people would say, "You can make this again," except I had no clue exactly what I did. On that front, I now have a notepad in the kitchen to scribble things down. That eventually finds it's way into an electronic document that has now swelled to over a hundred pages. I wouldn't call what I have as "recipes" or a cookbook, but it helps.

On the BBQ/smoking front, I have an easier approach. I bought a Thermoworks Signals multi-probe thermometer. It works great for monitoring temperature, but it also allows you to enter notes and name your various cooking sessions. This lets me keep track of the weight of the meat, the cooking time, temperature, and anything else I would likely want to know later on. A year after getting the new toy, it has already helped dramatically when I'm planning big cooks, expensive cooks, etc. You can view/edit your saved sessions on your phone or on the Thermoworks Cloud website. Here's a summary of some of the cooks I saved.

1664756824760.png

I keep an Excel Spreadsheet of all the different things I cook on our Bull
I am constantly making notes and update to it
It's just Catherine an I, but we smoke at least once a week
Load-up the 700, eat one and freeze the rest
6 racks of Babybacks and 4 Chickens last weekend
Lamb Chops and Catfish this weekend
At least 1 Brisket a Month, and a Pork Butt as needed

Here's my "Cheat Sheet", hope it helps:
SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Beef Roast2402.5 - 3.0 hours145 -150Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + ThymeFrom Costco
Beef Ribs2506 - 8 hours190 - 200Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt Blendor LO @ 12.0 + 2-3 @ 250
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts2501.5 - 2.0 hours160 - 165Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + OreganoFrom Costco
Boneless Pork Chops2501.5 - 2.0 hours145Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + ThymeLet rest for 10-15 mins
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic Onion Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4 hrs+/-
Beef Jerky2004 - 5 hoursN/APepper, Garlic & Onion Powder and Sea Salt
Beef (Ribeye) Steak400R=120-125MR=130-135M=140-145 MW=150-155 W=160-165On Sear Kit
Bloomin' Onion35045 min - 1 hourN/AAvo Oil, Garlic Salt, Pepper and "Salad Supreme"
Burgers Patties2500.75 - 1.25 hours140 - 150
Cheese60 MAX !4 hours**Using Smoke Tube ONLY**Gouda, Jack, Longhorn, Mozzarella and Muenster1/4 turn every hour, let rest 10 - 14 days
Coffee35025 - 45 minsN/AWhen the Bean cracks
Double Smoke Spiral Ham2502.5 - 3 hours140Maple Syrup Glaze (last hour)Add Smoke Tube
Double Smoke Turkey Breast2502.5 - 3 hours140Avo Oil, Garlic, Pepper and Salt BlendAdd Smoke Tube
Hot Dawgs2400.5 - 1 hour140J-Dawg Cross Cut1/4 lb Costco, Thawed
Italian Sausage & Brats2403.0 hours160 - 165Cook until they split-open
KebobsLO for 1.0 hour then 400 Until Done1.5 +/- hoursBeef - 145 & Chicken -165Salt and Pepper
Kroger Meatballs35030 - 45 mins155 - 160From Frozen
Lamb Chops2251.5+/- hours145Ground Garlic, Pepper, Salt and ThymeAdd Smoke Tube, Rest for 10 mins
Meatloaf2254 - 4.5 hours160Chopped Onion and Mushrooms, 1 Egg/4 lb, Salt, Ground Pepper and Garlic4 to 1 Beef to Pork
Moink Balls: Bacon Wraped Meatballs2751 - 1.5 hours155 - 160BBQ Sauce Glaze for last 10 - 15 MinsKroger Meatballs, Thawed
375Raw Meatballs
Onion Bombs42545 mins155 - 160Recipe Makes 4 BombsSee Word.doc for Recipe
Papa Murphy's Pizza42515 - 18 minsN/AAdd extra Mozzarella CheeseLet cool 5 mins
Poorman's Burnt EndsU@LO / W@250U-8 hours / W to Temp200 - 205Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt for 24 hrsN/A
Pork Belly / BaconLO + Smoke Tube5+/- hours140 - 1501/4 cup Salt + 1/2 cup Maple Syrup + 1 tbsp Pepper / 5 lbs for 14 - 21 daysPepper again before Smoking
Pork Butt10hrs@Lo + 2-4hrs@25012 - 14 hours190 - 200Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsRest for 30 mins
Pork RibsU-4.5hrs@180+0.5hr@275 - W-1.0hr@2756+/- hours200 - 210GPS&O Blend for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrsWrap in Aluminum Foil after 5 hours rest 15 mins minimum
Pork Tenderloin / Roast2503.5 - 4.0 hours145 - 150Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt BlendFrom Costco
Prime Rib2hrs@LO + 275 Untill Done4.5 - 5.5 hours135 - 140 (MR - M)1 tbs of Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt and Thyme in a cup of Butter per 8 lbsLet rest 0.5 -1 hour
Salmon & Other Fish2501.5 - 2.0 hours1301/2 Stick Melted Butter per FilletAdd Cherry Smoke Tube
Spatchcock Chicken250 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins2.5 - 3.0 hoursB/160-165 T/170-175Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour
Spatchcock Turkey275 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins3.5 - 4.0 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour
Whole Chicken250 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins3.5 - 4.0 hoursB/160-165 T/170-175Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, Salt1/2 Apple or Onion in Cavity
Whole Turkey275 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins4.5 - 5.0 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour

Look Dude, you need to cook more. It is only my wife and I as well, but I cook up a storm. This weekend, Friday, Salmon on the Blackstone, Saturday, Pork Chops, Sous Vide then finish on the Blackstone, Breakfast this morning on the Blackstone and yes finally today, Outside skirt steaks on the Bullseye!

We cook and either eat during the week or freeze.

I have a 590, Bullseye and Blackstone, use them all!

I keep our freezer stocked and then plan out weekly meals. We rarely eat out, honestly my cooking is better!

I agree you need to cook more to stay in smoking shape, but I may smoke twice a month on my 590, 3-4 times on the Bullseye, weekly on the Blackstone.

If you don't have a Blackstone, you can use the 590 with grill grates for Chicken, Burgers, Steaks, Salmon, etc. I cooked all of this on the 590 before I got the Bullseye and Blackstone.

We only cook briskets or pork butts once or twice a month. Expand your horizons!

FYI, I document all of my first time cooks, once I have it down, i just follow the recipe!
Pops,
Thanks for the reply. I apologize that I wasn’t more clear. I do indeed cook others things. In fact, tonight was reverse-seared pork chops and tomorrow night will be ribeyes. I was was mainly referring to the “big” cooks. It just seems like every time I do a brisket or a butt, I am reminded of the song by Foreigner, “It Feels Like the First Time.” I did a brisket about 6 months ago and it was excellent! I did one about a month ago thinking I was improving on what I had learned and it was so-so. Now I have enough brisket in the freezer for four or five months. I had a similar experience with butts.

Tony

I use Microsoft Onenote to store both recipes and cooks. I find entering on the phone to be a problem, so mostly do it on my computer. However, it propagates well to the phone to view. Record all of my cooks to improve.

As a suggestion, think a little more creatively. I donate my cooks to a local fire department (our unsung heros) or my senior neighbors. I always put in my disclaimer, “by accepting this food, you are now a part of my experiment, lol. I didn’t invent that idea, I give all props to Harry Soo after I saw what he was doing to keep his skillset sharp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back