Wagyu Brisket - Worth It?

BNeal

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So, was at Costco the other day to pick up a brisket and noticed they had wagyu brisket at about double what prime was. I almost went for it, but in the end, bought the prime. Question... those that have tried the wagyu brisket, is it worth the extra money? By nature, brisket is very fatty, so, not sure how much, if any, better the wagyu would be.

So, was at Costco the other day to pick up a brisket and noticed they had wagyu brisket at about double what prime was. I almost went for it, but in the end, bought the prime. Question... those that have tried the wagyu brisket, is it worth the extra money? By nature, brisket is very fatty, so, not sure how much, if any, better the wagyu would be.
If it is A5 my opinion is no for a full packer (FP). Prime FP’s tend to have quite a bit of marbling and it is possible (with Wagyu) to overdo it. I tried one and it was way too much fat/protein ratio, Looking forward to replies from others .

If it is A5 my opinion is no for a full packer (FP). Prime FP’s tend to have quite a bit of marbling and it is possible (with Wagyu) to overdo it. I tried one and it was way too much fat/protein ratio, Looking forward to replies from others .
That is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm not a big fan of Wagyu brisket, it tends to cook faster with all of the fat content and if you don't watch it closely it can get away from you. Now don't get me wrong, it was tasty but it had some tough areas. I stick with prime, I do not think it is worth the extra money. Just my $.02.

I've bought a few Wagyu briskets in the last couple years. All have turned out excellent. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not, but I've purchased and cooked them for special occasions where I could sort of justify cost. I kind of equate it to buying a nice prime rib roast. I don't do it all of the time, but I enjoy it when I do.

I just wish my Cost co would bring back Prime all we can get now is Choice and it is not that great - heck its about as bad as the select from walmart since the flats on these choice are always super thin

I just wish my Cost co would bring back Prime all we can get now is Choice and it is not that great - heck its about as bad as the select from walmart since the flats on these choice are always super thin
That’s the big issue I have with Costco briskets (even Prime, when I find them); they usually have very thin flats. Since my grandson is a meat cutter at a local specialty butcher shop (read that “high quality” and “high priced”), I have the option of getting hand-selected briskets From him. The prices and quality are about the same as ordering from WIld Fork or Snake River Farms, but without shipping. The up side is that I can tell him exactly what I want and he’ll find it for me.

If you want a full-size brisket i.e. no thin flats, I fully understand. I once was in the same camp. Now that the wife and I are empty nesters, I welcome the thin flats. I trim the heck out of the briskets (especially the flats) and make ground beef from all the trim. Brisket burgers are wonderful, and I still end up with a brisket that is right sized for the two of us.

If you want a full-size brisket i.e. no thin flats, I fully understand. I once was in the same camp. Now that the wife and I are empty nesters, I welcome the thin flats. I trim the heck out of the briskets (especially the flats) and make ground beef from all the trim. Brisket burgers are wonderful, and I still end up with a brisket that is right sized for the two of us.
I’ve thought about that, @Greg Jones, but that would require me to buy a decent meat grinder. :rolleyes: And, that would probably require me to make even more patio furniture expenditures. :oops: Somehow, I’m thinking that “It was all @Greg Jones 's fault” isn’t gonna fly around here after a few other recent purchases.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I’ve thought about that, @Greg Jones, but that would require me to buy a decent meat grinder. :rolleyes: And, that would probably require me to make even more patio furniture expenditures. :oops: Somehow, I’m thinking that “It was all @Greg Jones‘ fault” isn’t gonna fly around here after a few other recent purchases.:ROFLMAO:
Good point, however in my case I was already grinding my own chuck roast and pork butt into ground beef and sausage. It was a natural next step for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back