Stampede Upper grill rack

That’s precisely my concern; whether Gene’s nice-looking grill would leave enough room above it for a 10-12-pound brisket. I’d like to raise my briskets 3-4” above the main grill to cut down on the direct heat from the drip tray. Gene indicated in a response to me that while he provides wood spacer/locator blocks to assist in installation, the grill could be installed an any height I wanted. Certainly, that requires working around some existing features (top of pellet hopper, handle location, etc.

Your thought of using an unattached grill of the appropriate dimensions is something I’m also considering. Any suggestions for ones I might look at? Anyone?
Almost happy New Year Jim6820,

I considered an extra built in shelf but purchased 1 large and 2 small RT shelves. This allows for maximum flexibility and if a protein is extra tall, I can use 4 chunks of wood at the corners with retracted shelf legs to hit any height I need. You can also get different sized SS racks of various grate thicknesses from Amazon. My biggest fear of a permanent installation is the loss of configuration control. Just my thoughts.

Almost happy New Year Jim6820,

I considered an extra built in shelf but purchased 1 large and 2 small RT shelves. This allows for maximum flexibility and if a protein is extra tall, I can use 4 chunks of wood at the corners with retracted shelf legs to hit any height I need. You can also get different sized SS racks of various grate thicknesses from Amazon. My biggest fear of a permanent installation is the loss of configuration control. Just my thoughts.
And, an “almost happy New Year” to you, SmokeZilla. Thanks for the follow-up post. I haven’t done anything with adding an auxiliary shelf to the 340 as I think I will be making a grill change in the spring. Stay tuned! :rolleyes:

Best use of the small shelf IMO, invert it and add a cooking mat. Works great for large items as pictured, but works even better for small items that can fall through the grates.
View attachment 19679
Is that mesh mat one piece? Where’d you get it if it is. I bought a grill grills jerky rack and the mesh mats work great to make ground jerky. Looking for mats that could be cut to fit on the 3 racks.

Here's my upper grill rack from Gene Gauger. All parts are made from heavy duty stainless steel. Includes wooden spacer blocks to easily locate the slide brackets for installation as well as rivets. I opted to use some stainless steel fasteners I had on hand instead of the rivets. Installation was quick and easy by drilling 4 small holes for each bracket using a little cutting oil on the drill bit. I was a concern that the drip pan would be difficult to remove, but it's easy to take out. Now I can load much more food in the grill, I did (5) ~8-9 lb pork butts.

View attachment 19668View attachment 19669View attachment 19670View attachment 19671
NICE!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back