Stampede Upgraded app

Here’s the thing……..

If there has been nothing about your network that has changed, everything worked fine a week ago and the only thing that has changed was the App update, the problem ISN’T with your network.

It’s starting to drive me nuts seeing people say “try this/try that with your network”.

No, RT, find App designers that are smart enough to keep from trashing previously functional network communications with a new App.

Think about it. How many other computer/WiFi device manufacturers require a customer to re-configure/screw around with their network to get a (previously operational) piece of hardware running again, just because of an App update. Yeah, pretty much no one…..
You have to play the game and I know there are people out there that aren't tech savvy and swear they changed nothing, but they lied. I've run into it a million times. I literally changed nothing except upgraded the app. Everything else is connected fine to both bands without issue. I'm fine with the extender I dusted off and just installed. The 590 connects to it like a champ. I saved a few of the extenders when I upgraded my network to a mesh network. But, it's driving crazy why the 590 doesn't want to connect to the mesh directly. I've literally installed hundreds of outdoor mesh networks for municipalities, airports, colleges, law enforcement, that covers whole towns. I have an old android with a pre-updated version of the recteq app. When I get time, I'll try to connect.

You have to play the game and I know there are people out there that aren't tech savvy and swear they changed nothing, but they lied. I've run into it a million times. I literally changed nothing except upgraded the app. Everything else is connected fine to both bands without issue. I'm fine with the extender I dusted off and just installed. The 590 connects to it like a champ. I saved a few of the extenders when I upgraded my network to a mesh network. But, it's driving crazy why the 590 doesn't want to connect to the mesh directly. I've literally installed hundreds of outdoor mesh networks for municipalities, airports, colleges, law enforcement, that covers whole towns. I have an old android with a pre-updated version of the recteq app. When I get time, I'll try to connect.
I am using iOS so YMMV, but I started a cook everything was fine, then damn an app update. Smoked me, lost control, could not see my grill, etc. Then a 💡went off. When I first set my grill up I split the 2.4 and 5 g signals. After the grill was connected I returned to the mixed signal and all was good for a year and a half until the app update. Came in and split my network again. Grill connected and all was good. I later returned to my combined network and for the past six months and several updates all is good. No clue why that one update smoked things (no pun intended) not one before it or since has done that. I did utter a few colorful metaphors aimed at the app during the process. 😬

I am using iOS so YMMV, but I started a cook everything was fine, then damn an app update. Smoked me, lost control, could not see my grill, etc. Then a 💡went off. When I first set my grill up I split the 2.4 and 5 g signals. After the grill was connected I returned to the mixed signal and all was good for a year and a half until the app update. Came in and split my network again. Grill connected and all was good. I later returned to my combined network and for the past six months and several updates all is good. No clue why that one update smoked things (no pun intended) not one before it or since has done that. I did utter a few colorful metaphors aimed at the app during the process. 😬
My 5ghz and 2.4ghz network are isolated from each other.

My 5ghz and 2.4ghz network are isolated from each other.
I would be one freaking unhappy camper. Unless the WiFi controller on the grill has failed it should connect. I have heard folks say to delete the app and all Older versions ( really more than one version on your phone? Hum). I was about to delete and reinstall but glad I didn’t. I just dealt with a great tech from a worthless WoW cable company after all of their junk failed. Now MY new router and some of their new junk and we are back in business but they will soon lose a customer after close to 30 years. Soon to be Google fiber.

We recently moved and now have an att router with 5g. I don't want to go through all the issues trying to get it to broadcast a secondary 2.4 so I just got a third party remote temp sensor with bluetooth. To be honest, the RT onboard sensors weren't all that great and would have up 20 degree variances compared to other thermometers. Now I just have to manually change temps which is no big deal. Love the grill but not the app

Forgive me if this is hijacking the thread, but obviously we have some IT guys on here. I have a question that I have had for years now. Why must apps be constantly updated? If it is a security matter, why not work on the security side rather than blowing everything up every couple of months? as it stands, virtually all of my apps, banking, Rec Tec, etc, are always betas and prototypes rather than actual Improvement updates.

Forgive me if this is hijacking the thread, but obviously we have some IT guys on here. I have a question that I have had for years now. Why must apps be constantly updated? If it is a security matter, why not work on the security side rather than blowing everything up every couple of months? as it stands, virtually all of my apps, banking, Rec Tec, etc, are always betas and prototypes rather than actual Improvement updates.
The answer to this would be too long. In short, if the app is always updating, that usually means 1 of 2 things.
1- They are in a proper managed state/maturity of the app development, and push out small incremental changes (features) more often as to not have to do major over haul work, that is usually required if you only push out BIG massive updates/changes. Doing the latter tends to cause more bugs then solve them.
2- Their IT Development is s**tty, they have no proper Testing / QA prior to release to full production, and they are generally just playing wacka-a-mole bug fixing.

Last edited:
The Recteq app was inferior and it needed updating. A lot of companies just update shaite because THEY think you need/don't need features. Sometimes they just need well enough alone.

We recently moved and now have an att router with 5g. I don't want to go through all the issues trying to get it to broadcast a secondary 2.4 so I just got a third party remote temp sensor with bluetooth. To be honest, the RT onboard sensors weren't all that great and would have up 20 degree variances compared to other thermometers. Now I just have to manually change temps which is no big deal. Love the grill but not the app
That wouldn't work for me. I have a lot of "smart" schtuff that can only use the 2.4ghz band.

That wouldn't work for me. I have a lot of "smart" schtuff that can only use the 2.4ghz band.
Same here and on top of that 5g also suffers worse from obstruction interference and distance. My 700 is well over 100 feet from my router and multiple walls as it is in a closet (router not the grill) and way out on a concrete slab.

Funny (but not so funny) Recteq's "know it all" (lead WiFi guy) thinks he fixed the issue. Lol, he left me with the solution as using my girlfriend's iPhone as a hotspot and having my Android and the RT-590 connected to her phone (all standing by the grill).

Last edited:
Funny (but not so funny) Recteq's "know it all" (lead WiFi guy) thinks he fixed the issue. Lol, he left me with the solution as using my girlfriend's iPhone as a hotspot and having my Android and the RT-590 connected to the mesh network (all standing by the grill).
Well, sadly if they get rid of him, HR will hire a better idiot.

The answer to this would be too long. In short, if the app is always updating, that usually means 1 of 2 things.
1- They are in a proper managed state/maturity of the app development, and push out small incremental changes (features) more often as to not have to do major over haul work, that is usually required if you only push out BIG massive updates/changes. Doing the latter tends to cause more bugs then solve them.
2- Their IT Development is s**tty, they have no proper Testing / QA prior to release to full production, and they are generally just playing wacka-a-mole bug fixing.
Using your number(s) 1 and 2 examples above, a rhetorical question;

Upon the next release, how much confidence do you have in the robustness of the release ? In other words, do you lean more towards number one, or number two ?

Based on past experience, I know which way I lean. And......it ain't in the direction of number 1.

When I first got my RT 700 in March 2023, it would not connect they ran me through the same BS (standing on my head hopping on one leg, they kept telling me to change my router and I kept telling them it is impossible because it is a Xfinity duel band router and all the other gadgets in the house work just fine ran me though 3 techs the last one told to wait for the app update in 3 weeks sure enough weeks later it worked, holding my breath they don't muck it again.

Just so you know, you don't have to use the app to use the grill, those button things on the front panel/display will provide the same basic functions as the app, just saying... :unsure:
I rarely use the app if I'm doing a shorter cook, i.e. chicken.
That's what I came here to say. Use the control panel to control the grill and a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Mankind has been cooking for literally thousands of years without apps and phones...

That's what I came here to say. Use the control panel to control the grill and a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Mankind has been cooking for literally thousands of years without apps and phones...
Sure, and they cooked in a cave or outside on the ground at one time by rubbing 2 sticks together. It's 2023, I'm at home and I like the conveniences/comforts I've worked so hard and paid for. 😁

So this morning I spatchcocked a chicken, dry rubbed, and put it in the refrigerator (to form a pellicle). I went to start the grill at dinner time with the app and it said I needed to update it, so I did. After the update I could no longer connect to my RT-590.

I called Recteq tech support and I must say, the first time I was disappointed. I explained to them nothing has changed on my end, except the app upgrade. So we went through the typical wifi troubleshooting (fairly straightforward - I'm a retired IT guy). Nothing worked with the first tech, so he escalated and told me I would get a call back.

At this point, I just put the chicken in the oven while waiting for the call back. They called me back around 45 minutes later and went through the same steps as the first tech. He said it was one of 2 things, blamed it on my network or I moved my grill. I explained to him my network hasn't changed and my grill is in the same spot, on my enclosed porch. Mind you, I told him pressing the wifi button on the grill was jenky and sometimes it would go into wifi setup mode, sometimes it wouldn't and I had to unplug the grill to reboot. I even moved a network node on top of my hopper. Nothing. So he had me grab another phone and use it as a hotspot and stand at the grill with my Pixel 7 Pro and the hotspot Iphone. Tried to connect and sure enough it connected.

Realistically, I couldn't tie up my girlfriend's Iphone as a hotspot everytime I want to grill, so I tried connected to my network directly again and would not connect. By this time, tech support said it was my network. Again, I told him nothing has changed except for the app upgrade. I suggested that maybe the controller wifi didn't like the mesh network after the app update or something it didn't like on my Android Pixel phone after the update.

Sorry for being long winded, but anyone else having connection issues after this last July update?
Welcome to the New and Improved Rec Tec support! Your experience is far from being unusual. But, at least you got a call back. I called with the same issue yesterday at 9am. I am still waiting for a call back. While I have not had problems with the grill itself (other than the absolute POS wheels) I have NEVER had a successful interaction with customer service. Ever. A friend asked if I would recommend a Rec Teq. With their apparent lapses in quality control and complete lack of any support, I told him I could not. I moved from a Traeger to the Rec Teq because of the exact same problems with my newer Traeger. I don't know if there is a company out there that builds a quality product and stands by it. But I don't think I would buy another RecTeq.

Sure, and they cooked in a cave or outside on the ground at one time by rubbing 2 sticks together. It's 2023, I'm at home and I like the conveniences/comforts I've worked so hard and paid for. 😁
*slow. clap.*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back