Updated Recteq app not accurate.

I did a long cook overnight on mine and had several wild temperature swings depicted in the app. Multiple crashes this morning. Long delay in showing actual temp and probe temp. This was the worst cook I've had so far on my Bull. My assumption is the temperature swings were because I was running through some old Traeger pellets I had laying around. But, delay in temperature updates is very frustrating and kept me close to the smoker most of the morning to keep track. Defeats the purpose of having app on the phone.

The new version worked great on my iPhone during my first post-upgrade cook. I love the new temperature chart and ability to adjust by pinching. The old version of the chart wouldn't work for me at times.

Haven’t watched the temp since last weekend, but I couldn’t trust it. Wouldn’t update with the actual temp without killing the app and opening back up. This new version is prettier but barely functional from what I have experienced. I see there’s a new update today.

I’ve been using the new app for the past two nights with zero issues. I haven’t used the probes yet but I’ve changed temps, received notifications about the grill heating up, reaching temps and turning off. We’ll see how it goes over Labor Day weekend but so far I think it’s fine. I have plenty of suggestions for improvements but that goes for nearly every app I have.

Ok, as a software project manager, I get all sorts of support questions that inevitably come my way. There are several things that everyone replying needs to include with each comment:
  1. Apple or Android
  2. Version of OS
  3. Version of app
  4. Have you cleared the cache?
  5. Have you tried reinstalling?
  6. Have you restarted your phone?
  7. Any apps/VPNs that may affect performance
This info will help others here and maybe each poster to diagnose whats going on, as it seems like it works just fine for a lot of people, myself included.

My biggest pet peeve is, “It doesn’t work. This sucks.” with no additional information.

I have noticed a glitch/anomaly with the ios version 2.0.2 (Build 731). First, it doen’t list the RT1250 although the changelog states : “We’ve redesigned the app and added support for the new RT1250”. I also saw the temp related issues about 5 times during a ~13 hour brisket cook yesterday but realized there was some latency issues as my other probes (inkbird iBBT-4T) were reporting grill fluctuations in “real time”. I also realized the notifications occurred approximately 4 minutes after I would open the grill for a spritz and the notifications would coincide with overtemp notices as the RT700 tried to recover. One additional concern is that I can no longer export my cook data. This is more important as it will allow proper analysis of anomalies and temperature swings to isolate why they happened. In the interest of full disclosure, I’m probably turning this into a “make-work” project since my friends that ate the brisket from my cook ate it with the ferocity of 12 honey badgers meeting 6 piraña for a feeding frenzy, ugly but satisfying:p. In summary, RecTeq still rocks and after over a year, each time I take it out of the corral it kicks butt!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back