Updated Recteq app not accurate.

Otterlakeram

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
So I updated my RT app on IOS, i check my phone it tells me grill is dropping temp., i ran outside to see whats going on. Nothing, grill is chugging along fine. Two cooks, problems both times. Anyone else seeing problems like this?

Attachments

• E448763D-BD5B-476B-97EC-C98323AF1E91.png
    E448763D-BD5B-476B-97EC-C98323AF1E91.png
    997.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 1825C730-7CB3-485D-976D-DC6E620B1DBD.jpeg
    1825C730-7CB3-485D-976D-DC6E620B1DBD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 342
Ive had instances where I got the push notification my grill was dropping in temp after it had already recovered so by the time I got out there the temp was correct. Might be what youre experiencing here?

I keep getting application stopped errors on Android.

So I updated my RT app on IOS, i check my phone it tells me grill is dropping temp., i ran outside to see whats going on. Nothing, grill is chugging along fine. Two cooks, problems both times. Anyone else seeing problems like this?
I haven’t had that yet. I did have a moment where I had set the grill to 225 degrees, and everything was cruising along as normal. Then, when I went back into the app about 2 hours later, the slide bar said that I had it set to 215 degrees. I assumed that I had bumped something.

Ive had instances where I got the push notification my grill was dropping in temp after it had already recovered so by the time I got out there the temp was correct. Might be what youre experiencing here?
I've had the same thing happen.

This app is not great. It has major delays in time with everything. The current temp seems to take forever in updating. Even when you sit by the grill watching the difference

Right up front I'll admit this may sound foolish since I'm not as knowledgeable about this type of thing as many of you are, and I've also experienced delays in the app lagging on temps like mentioned above. But is there any chance the "temperature calibration" section of the settings in the app might resolve this? I'm not near my grill now to check on this, but that section says something about putting one of the probes in the center of the grill, above the grate, preheating the grill to 350 degrees for 1 hour, and then "adjust this setting until the grill reports the same temperature as the probe". It's not terribly clear, but I assume by "reports the same temperature as the probe" they mean what is showing in the app (versus the grill), because otherwise what two temps would you compare? So it sounds to me like it allows you to calibrate what the probe temp is showing on the grill with what temp is showing on the app. ?? Again, I could be completely off, so please feel free to provide feedback. Just trying to help and always looking to learn!

Attachments

• 0F6BAFA7-2C8D-41B4-B9D6-77D20CCC7352.jpeg
    0F6BAFA7-2C8D-41B4-B9D6-77D20CCC7352.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 71
The temp probe calibration is so the Recteq probe can read the same as another probe, not so the app reports correctly.

The temp probe calibration is so the Recteq probe can read the same as another probe, not so the app reports correctly.

Ahhhh... duh on my part. Comparing & calibrating the permanent temp probe in the grill with one of the meat probes, to make sure the grill temp probe is (halfway) accurate. Got it. Been a long day, and thanks for clarifying that!
Now back to your regularly-scheduled program... 😁

Just a question, but did you guys clear the applications cache after doing the update?

I
Just a question, but did you guys clear the applications cache after doing the update?
No I didn’t, maybe that’s the problem. I did a 6 hr cook today and it was off all day. It’d be kinda hard to control your grill from work accurately.

I've found that the new app (v1.7.1, Aug. 6, 2021) on Android is even less functional than the previous one. The temperature chart still doesn't work, except for short (less than 4 hours) cooks, even setting the units to 10, 15 or 30 mins as recommended by Recteq. Now, the min feed rate can't be changed. It looks like you're changing it, but if you go back to it, it still has the old setting. The delays in readings, delays in receiving alarms, disconnects, etc. are still there as they were before. Changing set points occasionally doesn't work either. Clearing the app cache didn't help.

I've found that the new app (v1.7.1, Aug. 6, 2021) on Android is even less functional than the previous one. The temperature chart still doesn't work, except for short (less than 4 hours) cooks, even setting the units to 10, 15 or 30 mins as recommended by Recteq. Now, the min feed rate can't be changed. It looks like you're changing it, but if you go back to it, it still has the old setting. The delays in readings, delays in receiving alarms, disconnects, etc. are still there as they were before. Changing set points occasionally doesn't work either. Clearing the app cache didn't help.
Agree 100%

I'm going to wait until good reports come along. I'm using the old Android version, and noticed last night grilling sea bass my probe update were delayed. Then I remembered reading here here that all app functions go from the phone to the home wifi , to the RT server, back to the home wifi and phone and then to the grill. Am I correct about this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back