Bull Two Week Old RT-700, One Castor Wheel Bent Already?

BugEater Keven

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just received my RT-700 two weeks ago and have completed 4 cooks. I store the 700 in my garage so to cook on it I have rolled it out of the garage to move it behind the garage where I have a large enough concrete patio. The entire path is paved with concrete with a very minor incline in one place. The total distance traveled is about 40 feet one way. On one of the cooks, I just rolled it outside the front of the garage, so my total distance travelled on this grill is approximately 240' since it arrived two weeks ago.

Yesterday I noticed one of the castor wheels getting stuck because it couldn't rotate 360 degrees anymore. Closer inspection shows that specific castor wheel's stem is bent slightly. I am very careful when moving this grill and go slowly. I can promise you I haven't abused it in the least, just the opposite. I love the RT-700, but this seems to be a particularly vulnerable component of the RT-700.

Have any of you experienced anything similar with the wheels and how did you resolve it? I think I can order a replacement - If I do, do I just unscrew the thin nut above the wheel to remove the old one?

The pictures below show the normal (front right) wheel mount, and the bent (rear right) wheel mount.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

Actually, after taking a closer look, the entire wheel moves back and forth (tilts back and forth) if I push the cart one way or the other. So the problem must be with the internal of the pivot assembly of the wheel. It is definitely unusable as it is now. I have no choice but to replace it.

Actually, after taking a closer look, the entire wheel moves back and forth (tilts back and forth) if I push the cart one way or the other. So the problem must be with the internal of the pivot assembly of the wheel. It is definitely unusable as it is now. I have no choice but to replace it.
A phone call to Recteq will make it all better.

There is no way you could have caused this in my opinion. I recommend that you call the support 800 number. RecTeq will take care of the problem - send you a new caster leg.

Thanks - I will give them a call tomorrow. It makes perfect sense that perhaps they weren't tightened down far enough at the factory.

Thanks - I will give them a call tomorrow. It makes perfect sense that perhaps they weren't tightened down far enough at the factory.
I had a similar issue over the summer. I’ve had mine since June of last year. I store mine in my shed, but it’s a bit of a pain to move it in and out of there. Both of the small wheels got pretty jacked up to the point they wouldn’t roll. I sent them an email and attached a couple of pics and had replacements within a few days. I believe that they know this is a weak point in the overall design, but they do take care of it when it goes bad. It is a known issue. Overall I have no complaints.

If the 700 legs and swivel wheels are the same as the ones on the 340 I can see why you have the problem, kind of flimsy for the weight of the smoker. If it keeps happening and you want to keep it int he garage you may have to think about changing to the competition base. I think way back someone here had changed the swivel wheels to something more robust on one of the smokers.

I appreciate everyone's responses and help with this.

I would consider the competition base, but to be honest the price tag is pretty high. Considering I chose Recteq over other less expensive brands knowing the RT-700's reputation for quality and durability - I really shouldn't have to spend the extra $300 for the ability to roll my grill 60' on pavement during my cooks.

Hopefully the replacement wheels will do the trick.

That won't work for the newer carts........FYI.
Why not? Assuming everything is square/parallel/even... maybe not the exact same measurements as before, but I just looked at a pic of the 700 online and I'm wondering why it can't have wheels/casters like the red reqtec shown in the pic above?

Why not? Assuming everything is square/parallel/even... maybe not the exact same measurements as before, but I just looked at a pic of the 700 online and I'm wondering why it can't have wheels/casters like the red reqtec shown in the pic above?
The legs are angled now on the 700 making it more difficult to mount the wheels. It can (and has) been done but it’s gone from a simple drill and bolt to more of a fabrication job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back