How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

Same as @Bmseay. OP, can you make an edit to the first post and let people know this won't work on newer 700s? Didn't realize it wouldn't work until I put my grill on its side and went "huh, that's interesting..."

Oof... yeah, go back 1 page and you'll see the 700s started shipping with the flared legs late last year. Yo @Mike - may want to update post #1

Has anyone found better wheels? I know I said before that I didn't get the flat spots like others mentioned, but mine was usually sitting on dirt or gravel, so I don't think it happen or at least I didn't notice. I finally poured a floor in the barn, and now it's REALLY noticeable. So.... yeah, need some ideas, the Libras mentioned earlier are not great on concrete.

I've updated the first post to include a NOTICE to highlight this only works on the older generation models.

If anyone has the newer RT-700 with the wider stance legs and wants to write up a how-to I'd be happy to sticky it here on the forum and I'm sure others would greatly appreciate it too.

Thanks Mike. I can't return the casters, so hoping those will still fit so I am 1/2 way there. Might spend some time this weekend seeing if I can convert to 5/8" bearing wheels or some other solution :)

Thanks Guys!!

Did the wheel mod on my Rec Tec 680.

5/8 All- threaded
5" Steelex D2618 swivel casters
I went with these tires from Harbor Freight
10 In. Solid Rubber Tire With Steel Hub
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-x-2-1-2-half-inch-solid-rubber-tire-35459.html
@abed77 - how are those HF tires holding up? I'm trying to find either a decent solid rubber set or just go pneumatic. Either because of age or concrete, the original Libras are driving me nuts with the flat spotting.

I ordered a 700 today and went ahead and ordered all of these parts as well. Looks like a great upgrade and one where I won’t lose the lower storage shelf by going with the Comp Cart. Can’t wait to throw this terrible GMG to the curb!

I ordered a 700 today and went ahead and ordered all of these parts as well. Looks like a great upgrade and one where I won’t lose the lower storage shelf by going with the Comp Cart. Can’t wait to throw this terrible GMG to the curb!
I hope you noticed the disclaimer on the first post.

You can still replace the swivel casters easily. The fixed wheels are more complicated.
I had the swivels on and was moving along to the fixed wheels when I realized what I was staring at. I just left it stock for now. I’ll need a longer axel as the flared legs make this one too short. But eventually I‘ll do the mod. Just not during the holidays.

I had the swivels on and was moving along to the fixed wheels when I realized what I was staring at. I just left it stock for now. I’ll need a longer axel as the flared legs make this one too short. But eventually I‘ll do the mod. Just not during the holidays.
You should be fine. My original swivel casters lasted the better part of a year, moving between garage & driveway, before failing.

With regard to the RT 590.

Taking into consideration the costs of this modification as described in the original post.

$32.99 for a pair of the 10in wheels from Amazon according to the link. The Harbor Freight wheels are cheaper.

$12.99 for 5" Steelex D2618 swivel caster according to the link
$12.99 for 5" Steelex D2618 swivel caster according to the link
$09.99 for the step drill bit set.

And if you go with the axle, or the " 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod" another $8.82.
And a "couple 5/8" shaft collars" at $2.85 each.

One has to take into account the above costs and the sweat in rigging this up, and weigh it against the cost of the RT 590 Competition cart which sells for $299.00.

It gives you not 2, but 4 swiveling and locking 6in wheels. A 1 year warranty, A wider, sturdier base, free shipping and something that isn't "home made" or rigged up.

In taking all of the above into account, it might be more advantageous for some RT590 owners to consider just going with competition cart as opposed to going with this mod.
How do you come to the conclusion that $300 vs $85 isn’t worth the trade off?

How do you come to the conclusion that $300 vs $85 isn’t worth the trade off?
To ME, for that, it's not.

First off, my time is worth something.

For the other $215, I'd rather have my time, the 4 swiveling and locking wheels that the Competition cart gives me, the 1 year warranty, the wider, sturdier base that the Competition cart offers, and something which is factory made instead of rigged.

Four swiveling and locking wheels on a wider, sturdier base appeal to me. But that's just my own personal preference. YMMV.

I might need to be doing this mod very soon! Mostly I like that it raises the grill!

One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

NOTICE: This for the OLDER RT-700 generation pellet grills with the STRAIGHT LEGS.
If you have a newer RT-700 with the wider (bent) legs, this will NOT work for you.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:

How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
View attachment 20

Back wheel all-thread axle:
View attachment 19

Back wheel up close:
View attachment 21

Full back axle:
View attachment 23

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)
I'm glad I found this thread and was able to modify my RT-700!!! I wish I would have read the whole thread first though, you guys have some great info. I'm looking at getting other tires, as I saw some of you had issues with flat spots...
Anyway, here is what I did to mod my RT-700 with the bent legs. I was unable to drill out the 5/8" holes because the littles stubborn support piece was solid, so I had to get creative. I made a small groove in the bottom of the feet and welded a piece of scrap metal to it (see pic1 and pic2). It's just big enough to get the 5/8" all-thread rod into it. I think the medal I used was the handle of an old car jack. Pic 4 and 5 are close-ups you may find useful. I think it worked out well. I had to use another nut on the swivel feet to get it level. I'm looking for a 6-inch swivel caster now, as I only had a little thread left to get into the grill.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 199
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I'd suggest getting the cart or wait for another wheel mod...IMHO

Seen this on Shitbook today. Looks pretty much the same as the other straight leg mod ?
View attachment 9873View attachment 9874
I'm going to be tackling this project soon. I move mine in and out of the garage and to and from the shed. I like the simplicity of how he did it. Drilling the hole straight should be the only hard part. I don't know if I will do a full axle. The stock design is for sure pretty weak though.

I'm glad I found this thread and was able to modify my RT-700!!! I wish I would have read the whole thread first though, you guys have some great info. I'm looking at getting other tires, as I saw some of you had issues with flat spots...
Anyway, here is what I did to mod my RT-700 with the bent legs. I was unable to drill out the 5/8" holes because the littles stubborn support piece was solid, so I had to get creative. I made a small groove in the bottom of the feet and welded a piece of scrap metal to it (see pic1 and pic2). It's just big enough to get the 5/8" all-thread rod into it. I think the medal I used was the handle of an old car jack. Pic 4 and 5 are close-ups you may find useful. I think it worked out well. I had to use another nut on the swivel feet to get it level. I'm looking for a 6-inch swivel caster now, as I only had a little thread left to get into the grill.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!
I did the wheel mod. exactly as described here. Local Home Depot didn't have any 5/8 lock nuts, just double nutted the nuts.

PERFECT!

Attachments

• Rectec Wheel Mod.jpg
    Rectec Wheel Mod.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 188

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back