Stampede Turning off wifi

wildwest450

Is there a way to disable the wifi? It's constant blinking does nothing more than remind me I paid $900 for a "top of the line" wifi pellet grill that doesn't support 5g and won't connect to 2.4, it's enraging.

Mine connected to 2.4 with no issues. How are you trying to connect?

Is there a way to disable the wifi? It's constant blinking does nothing more than remind me I paid $900 for a "top of the line" wifi pellet grill that doesn't support 5g and won't connect to 2.4, it's enraging.
Hopefully you're within you return period.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the LED so you don't have to see it. Have you tried contacting recteq to diagnose your wifi issue? The wifi is either bad or you don't understand wifi tech enough to get it working. The 2.4g vs 5g frequency trips many people up. 5ghz distance is terrible so even if it had it, I wouldn't recommend using.

If it is blinking, it's searching for your network, or it's in the setup mode. Did you set it up for your network? Has it ever connected to your network?

There are some very lengthy threads here on wifi connectivity with a LOT of tips. I would suggest you read them.

Just moved and connected my 590 to the new Spectrum router, I was surprised it worked perfectly! I would take a few and reset or there is always black electrical tape!

I was having trouble connecting to my WiFi even though I was following the setup instructions. What finally made the difference was disabling my vpn. Once I did that, I was able to connect without any further issues to my Orbi network.

The 2.4g vs 5g frequency trips many people up.

Plenty of people are having issues with the wifi setup because the SSID that the phone is using is connected on 5GHz. So, much of this "bad range" argument seems moot. If a phone, right next to a grill, can connect then the grill could probably connect too. But, so may of us are stuck with controllers that only support 2.4. If only the controllers supported 5 GHz ... which has been in widespread use for about a decade. These wifi problems are Recteq's own doing.

5ghz distance is terrible so even if it had it, I wouldn't recommend using.

If a device can see 5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks with sufficient SNRs, more often than not, the 5G is where it should connect. Less range means less interference from other devices.

Plenty of people are having issues with the wifi setup because the SSID that the phone is using is connected on 5GHz. So, much of this "bad range" argument seems moot. If a phone, right next to a grill, can connect then the grill could probably connect too. But, so may of us are stuck with controllers that only support 2.4. If only the controllers supported 5 GHz ... which has been in widespread use for about a decade. These wifi problems are Recteq's own doing.

If a device can see 5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks with sufficient SNRs, more often than not, the 5G is where it should connect. Less range means less interference from other devices.
Since many people's grill is outside far from their router, maybe through several walls, a cheaper 5Ghz radio has more trouble (most phones have a much better radio then a grill), so it's not a moot point. 99% of the time, for the initial setup, someone has their phone connected to 5Ghz and that's why they can't sync to the grill, has nothing to do with SNR :rolleyes:

If you must have 5Ghz and think it's so much better than 2.4Ghz, even though the data transmission for a grill is a dribble, the new Bull has 5Ghz.

99% of the time, for the initial setup, someone has their phone connected to 5Ghz

Yea, that's what I mentioned.

and that's why they can't sync to the grill, has nothing to do with SNR :rolleyes:

My SNR comment was about your blanket recommendation to not use 5G, it wasn't about a grill setup problem. If both 2.4 and 5G are available, and SNRs are good, then you should probably pick 5G. Not using 5G because "the distance is terrible" is just bad advise. Better yet, let an end device decide, the decision algorithms are usually better than blanket statements.

And, even low throughput devices like a grill can benefit from being on a less congested spectrum, whether it's 2.4 or 5. Thinking that 5GHz is only beneficial for "high throughput" devices, like gaming stations or streaming video, is not correct.

If you must have 5Ghz and think it's so much better than 2.4Ghz, even though the data transmission for a grill is a dribble, the new Bull has 5Ghz.

I'm working around it by making my own controller, it'll support both frequencies.

FWIW: My grill and my phone make it to my AP with very similar dBm readings at the AP. The idea of a "better radio" is true, but it doesn't seem to be an issue here. It was simply a bad decision to omit 5G from the controllers, and it's probably caused more issues than they tried to avoid.

Last edited:
It was simply a bad decision to omit 5G from the controllers, and it's probably caused more issues than they tried to avoid.
Literally none of my other smart home devices have 5 GHz radios - and most of them are used indoors. I have a hard time saying it's a mistake to skip 5 GHz. Plenty of consumers think 5 is better than 2.4 because it's newer or the number is higher. Others think 5 GHz wifi and 5G for cellular are the same.

RT's design for setting up the WiFi connection leaves a lot to be desired. And it's clunky compared to other smart home devices. If they improved that, folks wouldn't even care about 5 GHz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back