Stampede Turning off wifi

Literally none of my other smart home devices have 5 GHz radios - and most of them are used indoors.

I have more than a few. Leviton smart plugs are one.

Grill controllers are not inexpensive lightbulbs or plugs where the extra $1-2 represents a substantial cost increase (as a percentage of total product cost). So, why not include a dual band chipset to improve connectivity for everyone? There's almost zero downside for the consumer, it's just a couple bucks more and only increases capability.

In the end, they did, and I'm glad for it.

Put a wifi antenna on the grill and good chance problem solved. My has been flawless since I added the antenna.

Did you turn your location on?
This was the key to getting mine to work. I don't know why the phone location was important to get it to connect but it was. Once connected I turned location off and it has been working fine. Thanks for that post!

Here is a trick that stumps me.

I set up the wifi on my RT-590 without a hitch last year when I got the grill and it worked like a charm until Saturday when the grill shut down in the middle of a cook.

I didn't associate the shutdown of the grill with my wifi crashing until today when I called Rec Teq customer service and I tried to start my wifi app on my android phone. BAM, wifi crashed. Luckily my desktop is a direct ethernet connection and I was able to see what was going on. The IP addresses were all different on my "devices" list on my router. I uninstalled the rec teq app on my Android phone and rebooted my router. All the IP addresses are back where they belong and now everyone is happy again.

I previously thought my VPN service was causing the issue, but when I reinstalled it without the presence of the Rec Teq app it worked flawlessly for about 36 hrs. and now is working well again.

When I have time I will chase this farther but was wondering if anyone else was having unexplained wifi issues when the rec teq app is active.

I want to cook a brisket in a couple of days and don't trust the app not to shut down my 590 again. I like the convenience but am now officially leery of using it.

Here is a trick that stumps me.

I set up the wifi on my RT-590 without a hitch last year when I got the grill and it worked like a charm until Saturday when the grill shut down in the middle of a cook.

I didn't associate the shutdown of the grill with my wifi crashing until today when I called Rec Teq customer service and I tried to start my wifi app on my android phone. BAM, wifi crashed. Luckily my desktop is a direct ethernet connection and I was able to see what was going on. The IP addresses were all different on my "devices" list on my router. I uninstalled the rec teq app on my Android phone and rebooted my router. All the IP addresses are back where they belong and now everyone is happy again.

I previously thought my VPN service was causing the issue, but when I reinstalled it without the presence of the Rec Teq app it worked flawlessly for about 36 hrs. and now is working well again.

When I have time I will chase this farther but was wondering if anyone else was having unexplained wifi issues when the rec teq app is active.

I want to cook a brisket in a couple of days and don't trust the app not to shut down my 590 again. I like the convenience but am now officially leery of using it.
You have something going on with your router, there no way the RT app can change the IP addresses of devices on your network. The IP address have to be different, so not sure what you mean by that. What do you mean by WIFI crashed, the router crashed? If an app can crash your WIFI, you have a network problem.

Last edited:
I know we all love the wifi when it works, but honestly......it's a convenience and not necessary AT ALL.

I was having trouble connecting to my WiFi even though I was following the setup instructions. What finally made the difference was disabling my vpn. Once I did that, I was able to connect without any further issues to my Orbi network.
I just ordered a new rt-1250 and then started to read the horror stories on wifi connectivity here. But after seeing that you also have orbi and it worked hopefully I will have the same results. I know for my home security system I had to use the guest network on my orbi because it is only 2.4g. Maybe that will help someone.

I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, but my 590 works pretty well with the Android app. I do get some disconnects every now and then, though the signal has to go through 4 walls and a floor to reach the router, but it reconnects on it's own so it not a big deal. Then there's there lack of reporting during high RT server access on a holiday, so I just rely on the LCD front panel if that happens.

Sure it's a rudimentary app, but it does the basics I need. I think most of the problems with people connecting are not understand WIFI network technologies, 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz. People blame 2.4Ghz but there's several billion 2.4 devices in the world working fine, so there's that.

I just ordered a new rt-1250 and then started to read the horror stories on wifi connectivity here. But after seeing that you also have orbi and it worked hopefully I will have the same results. I know for my home security system I had to use the guest network on my orbi because it is only 2.4g. Maybe that will help someone.
I have an Orbi and a 1250 and I didn't have a single hiccup with connecting my grill to the internet. I was worried as well after reading everything but it went perfect and haven't had an issue with it.

I just want more from the app. Ability to save cooks, data, etc. Ability to download data, add recipes,etc
I think adding complexity to the app is the last thing people would want if the basic functions are not stable, for now KISS. I think people tend to overthink BBQing. What would you do with all the data you download, it's just temp measurements?

I think adding complexity to the app is the last thing people would want if the basic functions are not stable, for now KISS. I think people tend to overthink BBQing. What would you do with all the data you download, it's just temp measurements?
To each his own. Times, temps, swings, etc. help to replicate a recipe.

RT needs to REMOVE complexity from their app. I don't see any legitimate reason why everything has to be routed through their servers and that seems to be one of the BIG reasons why people have issues with the app. Definitely one of the reasons the damn thing crashes during big holidays. I don't see the feature that allows you to turn the grill on from where ever as a big deal. I never use it, and I imagine others don't either.

The stuff I am asking for doesn't really add complexity. Most of the data is already there. Just need to save it, and allow it to be exported.

RT needs to REMOVE complexity from their app. I don't see any legitimate reason why everything has to be routed through their servers and that seems to be one of the BIG reasons why people have issues with the app. Definitely one of the reasons the damn thing crashes during big holidays. I don't see the feature that allows you to turn the grill on from where ever as a big deal. I never use it, and I imagine others don't either.
I agree, any development effort should be spent on making the app stand alone and not require communicating with the mother ship(RT severs). Have the app connect directly to the grill through your home network would eleminate those heavy use holiday issues. I too could care less about being able to control my grill when not at home.

You have something going on with your router, there no way the RT app can change the IP addresses of devices on your network. The IP address have to be different, so not sure what you mean by that. What do you mean by WIFI crashed, the router crashed? If an app can crash your WIFI, you have a network problem.
Interesting. I chased possible router issues without a solution. I removed the recteq app and have had no further issues. Coincidence? Maybe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back