Turkey or Chicken Injection

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Does anyone use an injection for poultry? I’ve tried making one several times but the liquid solidifies turning into a mess before I can use it. The recipes I’ve tried all contain melted butter which you combine in a blender with other liquids and spices. Obviously the butter cools during the process but nothing says to heat the remaining ingredients so I don’t. Any ideas as to what am I doing wrong or have any experience with a premade you can recommend?

I’m doing it to get Cajun flavor in the meat, after brining. Wonder if brining in Cajun spiced water would work?

☝️ I think I would try something like that rather than injecting. It might be tricky modulating your spice/heat level at first, but I bet it's doable.

Never ingected... tried brining occasionally and in my experience, a dry brine/rub does close to if not as well with far less fuss.

Adding seasoning to the brine will add flavor. I prefer a compound butter under the skin. I get better flavor this way. If you do decide to brine, I wouldn't go over 1 hour per pound. Otherwise it could be too salty.

I always ate dark meat. Breasts were just bland and dry. Once I started brining and getting the juiciest tastiest breast meat ever, I cannot go back to unbrined poultry. Experiment with the flavors etc. spice will get in but as posted earlier you might need a couple of cooks to dial it in to your liking. I usually heat up the water then add the salt and sugar and on occasion herbs garlic etc to bring out the flavors, then the hot brine is cooled with ice and added to the rest of the ice water the poultry will go into. Good luck

Trouble for me is remembering to do this stuff. With just the 2 of us, it’ll be a couple months before I do another. I’ve started keeping notes for what I want to try next time, and not just for turkeys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back