Tough Smoked Sausage Skins

Bjxds

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Every time I smoke sausages, home made, store bought, Johnsonville...., It doesn't matter what kind. The skin ALWAYS turn out tough, as in take em out of the skin to eat.

Everything else I smoke turns out GREAT!

Any ideas, Things to try? I have tried from 180-250, 1- 4 hours, NOTHING makes a difference.

Are you talking about reheating already smoked sausages? If so, I do mine at 450-500F, turning frequently to avoid burning. When I’ve tried the lower temperatures, they turned out like you described.

IMO, already smoked sausage doesn’t need more smoke (low temp), it needs heat to penetrate to the center without burning the skin. I actually use my gas grill to cook most sausages. We eat a lot of Basque Chorizos: they are pre-cooked/smoked and that’s how I do them. They are in natural casings and are never tough.

I agree with @Jim6820, you're just cooking them at the wrong temp.
I would use CI, grill grates, or a griddle to cook them. They'll get some smoke and the casings will get cooked instead of turning rubbery. I do my onions first, then push them aside and the griddle is nicely oiled for the sausages.

FWIW, when I cook sausage of any sort on the grill or smoker they turn out tough, grilled being worse then cooked on the smoker at 225. By far cooking in the smoker in a casserole dish with a can of kraut comes out the most tender and the most moist (?). Which cooking type used depends on what we want on a given day.

Brats: We always simmer in beer and onions first.
Then brown them on the grill .
Then back to the beer and onions.

Very tender and delicious, also the skins won’t split and lose all the juice.
What he said. Soften them up then bring on the sizzle.

I usually lose the casing and then cook. I just don’t care for the texture of casing on sausage or membrane on pork ribs. Many folks don’t mind at all. But the steam in beer trick gives the best results for me if I leave them on.

Back in the day, removing the skin from sausage was a surgical procedure.
freddy got fingered sausage GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back