Stampede To smoke or not to smoke

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
20231223_132546.jpg
20231223_130559.jpg

I salted and placed this 6 lb roast in the refrigerator two hours ago. Christmas day I will take it out and let it come to room temperature before I cook it. Here's my dilemma. My wife is not a fan of bark. I'm considering cooking it in the oven. As a matter of fact, I'm leaning that way just to convince myself that it's not the way to go. Anyhow, I will let you know how it goes and what I decided to do with it. I know that label says 5 lb, but it was 96 oz on the actual weight and price label.

If you don’t want bark, cover the protein with lightly dampened cheesecloth until you are ready to put it on the grill. Leaving it uncovered will let the surface dry and form a pellicle that will crust up.

Just rock it 225 all the way 'til done. The real crust comes with the reverse sear at 425 - you can just skip that part if you don't want a crust. Although IMO - that's kinda the best part of it. ( I know, I know .... the wife....)

If she really doesn’t want bark but want it as tender as possible, Ib would think about a reverse sear. II’d put it into a LeCreuset Roaster or even better, use a Griswold or Lodge roasting pan with the nipples in the cover that allow the condensation to drip onto the top of the meat during the cook, and the pan on the bottom that raises it about 1” above the liquids Once near temp, let it rest, following the rest cut it in half and roll your half on a skillet at 450F with butter, herbs and other goodies to rebuild your lost crustiness. Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Ooooh! Building on @SmokeZilla 's idea of skillet, butter and herbs.....
Cut it in half - sous vide- do the above (sear, baste, etc) - giant steak for two, so romantic......

Do the other half for New Year's Eve.

Edit: Yes, I think we assume we're all playing with mostly the same set of tools/toys. Some fancier than others....

I really appreciate the various suggestions I'm getting. If I could afford one of these roasts every couple of weeks I would try them all out right away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back