ThermoWorks Square DOT

Interesting stuff.. I know you can adjust the offset with Recteq but is there a benefit to watching this with an oven other than to adjust your cooking?

Meaning.. do people watch it to the point where they adjust oven temps if not averaged as expected?
You can adjust your oven temp on most ovens, on mine you can adjust actual degrees up or down and save the setting. When I checked mine at 350 it ran +-6 degrees so I did not make any adjustments.

Last edited:
You can adjust your oven temp on most ovens, on mine you can adjust be actual degrees up or down and save the setting. When I checked mine at 350 it ran +-6 degrees so I did not make any adjustments.

Hmm.. really did not know this stuff. Guess I have to delve into my ovens a bit closer. Have both electric built in and gas free standing.

What would you think is an issue?

Hmm.. really did not know this stuff. Guess I have to delve into my ovens a bit closer. Have both electric built in and gas free standing.

What would you think is an issue?
Not sure it is an issue, read somewhere that ovens could be 25+ degrees off from the temperature setting. No idea how real that persons observation was or what it was based on. Since I had a Signals I thought I would check it out on my oven, a Thermador wall mount unit. Never hurts to check. I also used it to compare the ovens probe used for cooking to meat temp and found it to be right on when tested with the Signals probe.

Not sure it is an issue, read somewhere that ovens could be 25+ degrees off from the temperature setting. No idea how real that persons observation was or what it was based on. Since I had a Signals I thought I would check it out on my oven, a Thermador wall mount unit. Never hurts to check. I also used it to compare the ovens probe used for cooking to meat temp and found it to be right on when tested with the Signals probe.
Thank you to both of you, @PRC and @Pacman . Very helpful! I’m also one of those people with an oven that’s been off by 25 degrees at times, which is no good when baking temps are critical. This is helpful for both my oven and grilll, so this is much appreciated 🙂.

Wow.. still interesting. Makes ya think how many people have no idea what is actually happening with their cooking or even think about it. No wonder I can't seem to get some of them right ;). Thank you!

Interesting stuff.. I know you can adjust the offset with Recteq but is there a benefit to watching this with an oven other than to adjust your cooking?

Meaning.. do people watch it to the point where they adjust oven temps if not averaged as expected?
I’m looking to adjust the offset on my 3 recteq pellet grills so that I can cook X on any one of them and not have different set temps for each grill. In other words, I want a setting of 325* to more or less average 325* on all 3 grills.

I feel the average over time is important when setting the offset as these grills are constantly running hotter or cooler than the set point. The controller display may say set to 375*, actual 375*, but that’s not the reality. The graph below is from the test I did on my RT-340 after I had made a +20 offset adjustment. The grill controller was set to 375* and at some points ran approximately as hot as +15*/390* and other times it ran -15*/360*. The average over 30 minutes was within 2* of 375*-perfect! Much more consistent than adjusting the offset based on one reading from the pit probe.

PS: The initial overshoot of the set temp to approximately 125* over the set temp is also normal on these grills. That’s why I always start my grill and let it run for at least 30 minutes to settle in before putting food on the grill.
4BB5DEC6-9A20-46E8-B547-FD3C576E388E.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back