Thermoworks Smoke or Smoke X2/4?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
With Thermoworks’ “Holiday Sale” still going on, I’m considering picking up an air temperature unit to monitor grill temperature without being connected through the internet. Looks like Thermoworks offers both the basic Smoke and enhanced Smoke X2/4 units at a reduced price. Anyone using one of these units? Is the X2/4 version a significant improvement over the basic unit? I really don’t need four channels; two would do just fine.

One thing I like about the Smoke units is the ability to add either a second “cooking” or “air temp” probe. I’m thinking that would be nice to have two probes monitoring internal air temp or meat cooking temperature. Letting my mind run amok for a minute, I think the X4 version would accept two air temp and two cooking probes. Right? That would be a nice way to go, but is it necessary? At $74.25 for the basic two-channel Smoke unit, I’m wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the Smoke X4 at $199. Both are “Holiday Sale” prices. I don’t see that much advantage (for me) in upgrading the basic Smoke unit to the Smoke X2, however: don’t need the extended range.

Thoughts?

I have the Signals and I am very happy with it. The Signals is considerably more $$$, but I really like the WiFi connection that I can monitor from anywhere via my phone (and the notifications actually work!)

I would definitely go with a 4 probe version as I can monitor air temp as well as a couple of different items simultaneously. I've never used all 4 probes at the same time except when I was screwing around with three chicken breasts plus pit temperature.

I have the Signals and I am very happy with it. The Signals is considerably more $$$, but I really like the WiFi connection that I can monitor from anywhere via my phone (and the notifications actually work!)

I would definitely go with a 4 probe version as I can monitor air temp as well as a couple of different items simultaneously. I've never used all 4 probes at the same time except when I was screwing around with three chicken breasts plus pit temperature.
Thanks for that input. Have you tried the Bluetooth connection? If so, what is the effective range? I’m looking for something that would work up to 100 feet away.

I’m guessing the “WiFi” connection is via the Thermoworks app; does it work with a 5 GHz connection? The Recteq app only works with a 2.4 GHz connection, so I have to connect to a different network when using it. My regular home wireless network is a 5 GHz unit.

I’m leaning toward the Smoke X4 since it has a remote receiver. It doesn’t look like that’s available on the Signals. Is that right? The price of the Signals and Smoke X4 are just about the same.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

I have the Inkbird IBBQ-4BW. I think it’s about $100 and it comes with four probes and a large magnetic display. The is a good one with Bluetooth and WiFi that work well on my iPhone. It has individual settings for each probe with timers and minimum or maximum temperature alarms as well as the desired internal temperature setting. I was able to monitor a prime rib while making a trip to the pharmacy five miles away. I also have the quick read temperature pen. Both are great products at a reasonable price.

The Thermoworks stuff operates on 2.4 GHz WiFi and Bluetooth. It does not support 5 GHz at this time for the thermometer to the Internet. It uses the Thermoworks app so it works reliably as long as it's connected to Internet via 2.4GHz (and I have had ZERO issues with this). I have a dual band WiFi access point so it stays connected and happy. I only used Bluetooth once when I was setting up the WiFi connection.

I actually put a lot of my IoT things on the 2.4GHz so that they don't interfere with my computers, streaming TV's, and phones with higher data demands. My phone happily connects via 5G cell, 5 GHz WiFi, etc. and has no problem receiving or setting notifications on the Signals. In other words, your phone does not have to be on the same local network as the Thermoworks unit.

My best example was me being 30 miles away from a pork shoulder when I was stuck at work later than planned. I got the temperature notification from the Thermoworks app, I connected to my Recteq and shut off the grill, and then called my wife to pull the pork, wrap it, and wait until I got home for final prep and dinner.

In summary the Thermoworks Signal works every single time, while the Recteq probes and app are hit or miss...mostly miss on busy weekends and holidays. The Recteq app is reliable at messing with temperature or turning on/off the grill.

As far as Bluetooth, because the theoretical distance is essentially 30 feet, I've never liked Bluetooth for remote controls. I raced out and bought one of those Meather+ wireless probes and it works well in the kitchen, but put it out back in a big metal container like a BBQ and all is pretty much lost.

The Thermoworks stuff operates on 2.4 GHz WiFi and Bluetooth. It does not support 5 GHz at this time for the thermometer to the Internet. It uses the Thermoworks app so it works reliably as long as it's connected to Internet via 2.4GHz (and I have had ZERO issues with this). I have a dual band WiFi access point so it stays connected and happy. I only used Bluetooth once when I was setting up the WiFi connection.

I actually put a lot of my IoT things on the 2.4GHz so that they don't interfere with my computers, streaming TV's, and phones with higher data demands. My phone happily connects via 5G cell, 5 GHz WiFi, etc. and has no problem receiving or setting notifications on the Signals. In other words, your phone does not have to be on the same local network as the Thermoworks unit.

My best example was me being 30 miles away from a pork shoulder when I was stuck at work later than planned. I got the temperature notification from the Thermoworks app, I connected to my Recteq and shut off the grill, and then called my wife to pull the pork, wrap it, and wait until I got home for final prep and dinner.

In summary the Thermoworks Signal works every single time, while the Recteq probes and app are hit or miss...mostly miss on busy weekends and holidays. The Recteq app is reliable at messing with temperature or turning on/off the grill.

As far as Bluetooth, because the theoretical distance is essentially 30 feet, I've never liked Bluetooth for remote controls. I raced out and bought one of those Meather+ wireless probes and it works well in the kitchen, but put it out back in a big metal container like a BBQ and all is pretty much lost.
Thank you for all that information. It gives me a better picture of the Signals connection capability. I do like the separate receiver on the Smoke X4, however. Both units seem to have great features; some that are exclusive to each model.

This looks to be a difficult decision. Thanks, again.

I don't need to control or monitor my smoker outside of my home or yard, so I went with the Smoke X4. The only thing I have to concern myself with is good batteries in them.

Based on the input I received here, and the fact that the Signals unit is on sale (ending today) and the Smoke X4 is not (which makes them very nearly the same price), I have ordered a Signals. I think the assurance of @Pacman that the app works well (thanks, BTW) helped me make the final decision.

I liked the horizontal display format on the Signals just a bit better than the Smoke’s vertical format (though that’s a pretty insignificant difference), along with the availability of a longer-distance monitoring capability if I were to need it (like when I might have to run to town during a smoking session) made the difference. That said, the Smoke X4 looks like a great unit as well.

While I was ordering, I picked up the large zipper case and four probe spools that were also on sale. Saving myself into the poorhouse! 🤣

I will be looking forward to receiving the unit and will use it instead of the Recteq probes to monitor my cooking going forward. And, it can also be used with my Napoleon natural gas grill. That’s a bonus.

I have an older Smoke 2 channel bluetooth. It has just enough range to make it reach the kitchen from the patio. It works. If I add to my collection, it will likely be a wifi unit. I have a few smokers so having separate units would be helpful.

Based on the input I received here, and the fact that the Signals unit is on sale (ending today) and the Smoke X4 is not (which makes them very nearly the same price), I have ordered a Signals. I think the assurance of @Pacman that the app works well (thanks, BTW) helped me make the final decision.

I liked the horizontal display format on the Signals just a bit better than the Smoke’s vertical format (though that’s a pretty insignificant difference), along with the availability of a longer-distance monitoring capability if I were to need it (like when I might have to run to town during a smoking session) made the difference. That said, the Smoke X4 looks like a great unit as well.

While I was ordering, I picked up the large zipper case and four probe spools that were also on sale. Saving myself into the poorhouse! 🤣

I will be looking forward to receiving the unit and will use it instead of the Recteq probes to monitor my cooking going forward. And, it can also be used with my Napoleon natural gas grill. That’s a bonus.
I think you’ll really like the Signals. My WiFi was glitchy over the summer, and the Signals immediately switched to Bluetooth until the WiFi was restored. I did get a bad batch of probes, though, so don’t hesitate to check your probe accuracy in an ice water bath 🙂.

Good thing I made the decision yesterday! Today, Thermoworks put the Smoke X4 on sale; $30 off. That would have made the choice between the Signals and Smoke X4 even tougher!

But, I think I still made the right choice for my needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back