Testing brisket

thedart51

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Smoked my first brisket today on my RT590 following Malcom Reed’s pellet grill brisket recipe. Flavor was good but I think it was overcooked (did vertical pull test but slice did not support its own weight even before I pulled). My question is where and when do you start probing? I started probing when my probe said 203. Couldn’t punch through the top of flat very well but the sides were like butter. Is that normal, or should the top also be soft when it’s done? Probe might have been in the point and not purely in the flat too. Finally, one other error I may have made is putting the BP wrapped brisket directly into cooler (no towels) for 2.5 hrs without opening up the paper to vent steam. When I opened the cooler there was a lot of steam, and the bark was crumbling off when I tried to slice. Is it also possible I pulled at right time but it overcooked while sitting in cooler? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Couple thoughts...

Did you calibrate your temp probes to be sure they were accurate? I know mine were aporox. 10 degrees off on mine which could spell disaster on a brisket.

I typically do my first temp/probe check about 195 & then keep checking regularly from there. I usually pull the brisket when it “feels” right which is usually about 200-203. I use my handheld thermapen to check for tenderness & verify temp.

I think you’re on the right track venting the brisket & adding some towels when placing on the cooler.

is it best to rest out in the open before putting it in the cooler? Or immediately put in cooler but vent the wrap first?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to take a hot brisket and refrigerate it. It's best served hot after a very short rest period. It's a mainstay here in Texas and even if you watch the cookoff competitions they don't refrigerate after cooking. Correct temp is 195-205 then let cook until tendor and probes easily penetrate the meat. The brisket itself should flex when you try and pick it up. Start with a quality piece of meat fresh if possible or completely thawed out. Any meat stored in a frost free freezer is unsuitable after 6 months of storage.

He's putting it in an igloo type cooler to let it rest. Not a refrigerated cooler.

I will wrap with paper around the stall period. Once its probe tender, I will wrap over the paper with foil, place in a cooler with a couple of beach towels and rest for an hour or so. The same goes for Butts and Chucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back