Testing a New Thermometer - šŸŒ”ļø CHEF IQ

SmokeZilla

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I picked up a new wireless thermometer last week. It is branded ā€œChef IQā€. So far Iā€˜ve used it for a spatchcocked chicken and it seemed to be running as accurately as my other probes. The interesting and promising thing is that it held a connection during the entirety of my 2 hour cook (which my Meater Block doesnā€™t do consistently due to dropped connections), tracks ambient and food temp simultaneously, has wifi and bluetooth connectivity and puts a smaller hole in my protein compared to the Meater. Although early in my testing, it is impressive and not as expensive as the other competing device. Iā€™ll keep you posted as I have a decent sized cook in 2 weeks.

Looks like the probe diameter is the same as the Combustion Inc; .19ā€. The probe length is about 1ā€œ shorter than the CI. Early reviews seem quite positive. Iā€™ll be interested in your evaluation.

Edit: I am quite happy with my CI Predictive thermometers, so my interest at this point in the Chef IQ is purely out of curiosity.

Last edited:
So far there are a number of things that are positive (beyond my original post). The first is the temp range. Itā€™s advertised as being capable to withstand over 500F which outshines my Meater significantly. The next item is that the probes are dishwasher safe and can be fully submerged in liquids for cleaning. The Meater doesnā€™t recommend full immersion. They recharge in under 30 minutes although I have not done an endurance run to see how long a full charge will last, yet. The base can alarm you and it talks to you using the speaker built into the base and the base recharges using USB-C. Their App also has be buttload of recipes and many ā€walk you throughā€ to actual cook with recipes, videos, and warnings. On the downside, you can only sync 3 probes (my Meater has 4). However, the 2 probe set only cost me $99.00.

It looks like the maximum ambient temp is 572F; is that correct? Thatā€™s the same as the current CPT. The new Meater is much higher and that is what I would like to see in other probes.

Yes. That is correct. I havenā€™t hit the extremes but I did take it to 515F during a chicken skin searing session last night. It did a lot better than I thought. Also, I put it in a water bath over night and today, no problems. Seems waterproof. I am still reviewing their app which is amazing and packed full of cooking, and other advice. I havenā€™t been able to export my cooking profile information and upon completion of a cook, it seems to reset and discard legacy data but Iā€™m trying to confirm that is true. The challenge I am getting ready to start is the battery endurance test. I am setting it up to track the temps on my patio over an extended period of time. Iā€˜ll share the results after I have normalized them. I also noticed the app does not support horizontal (landscape) mode.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back