Stampede Temp Spike

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
So 40 minutes ago I put two racks on the grill I had preheated to 225. I believe all of my rib Cooks have been at 225. So 15 minutes later I decided to try 250 hoping to retain some moisture. Suddenly I was up to 275 and climbing. It took another 15 minutes of jiggering to get it back down to my new set of 245. It seems to be holding there. And I verified indicated Temps with a separate thermometer. This was a first cook since it was cleaned. Any thoughts?

How long was your pre-heat? I’ve found on my Trailblazer that for the first 25-30 minutes, temps run up and down. After that, they settle in pretty much. I still see some minor ups and downs, but I think that’s very normal.

Your cleaning may have disturbed the pellets in the auger tube and created a couple of empty pockets causing an uneven feed at first.

Pellet grills are kinda like little kids; unpredictable and unexplainable at times. :ROFLMAO:

How long was your pre-heat? I’ve found on my Trailblazer that for the first 25-30 minutes, temps run up and down. After that, they settle in pretty much. I still see some minor ups and downs, but I think that’s very normal.

Your cleaning may have disturbed the pellets in the auger tube and created a couple of empty pockets causing an uneven feed at first.

Pellet grills are kinda like little kids; unpredictable and unexplainable at times. :ROFLMAO:
Since we are having company today and I had not fired up my smoker for three or four weeks, I started it up quite early to make sure there were no problems. It went to 225 and held there and continue to hold after I put the ribs on 25 minutes to a half an hour later. It was only when I cranked it up that began acting up. Since settling down I have it at 245 and it remains there it's one or two degree fluctuations either way. I'm going with Stuff Happens unless the episode persists.Thanks for the thoughts.

Not sure what the weather is like in your neck of the woods but when it’s really hot outside I’ve had mine overshoot when I turned the temps up a little. My guess is the extra pellets that start and high air temps can cause the fire to get away from the controller for a bit.
Your situation could be something else but thought I’d offer what has happened with my grill.

Not sure what the weather is like in your neck of the woods but when it’s really hot outside I’ve had mine overshoot when I turned the temps up a little. My guess is the extra pellets that start and high air temps can cause the fire to get away from the controller for a bit.
Your situation could be something else but thought I’d offer what has happened with my grill.
Spot on. That entered my mind but shrugged it off. About 104 at 9:30 a.m. Then it warmed up. But it worked out.

20230703_150631.jpg

I think you can chalk that up to the randomness of pellet cooking. I am sure the PID
controller was equally confused. Glad it worked out though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back