RT-1250 Steaks on my new RT-1250

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I’m fairly new to recteq grills, after owning a Traeger Eastwood for several years. I never did steaks on my Traeger because it wouldn’t get hot enough. I used to start steaks out on my Traeger and then move them over to my gas grill in an attempt to reverse sear them, but my gas grill tops out at 450F, so I never got a good sear. I went through life doing burgers & steaks on my gas grill from start to finish, while doing ribs and everything else on my Traeger.

That has ALL changed now with my new RT-1250! Following a recteq video on YouTube, I preheated my recteq to 225F and cooked my steaks until they reached 110F internally. I pulled em from the grill and cranked up the recteq to Full. When the grill hit 550F (which took very little time), I put the steaks back on and reverse seared them for 4 minutes on each side. The recteq actually hit 590F at one point. Holy crap! I had no idea this was possible on a pellet grill!

The steaks were excellent. I’ve never had a steak with a smoke ring before. I am one pleased cowboy!

I must admit, I don't even bother pulling while cranking up to searing temp. At about 100 - 105, I crank up and am there in like 4 minutes. A couple of Grillgrates on the right side pre-heating during the initial cook and crank up does a very respectable reverse sear.

All,

Both great techniques. I have heard that a 15 minute rest period between the low temp cook and the sear can help with the juices re-absorbing into the meat and the carryover will not be as abrupt rendering the sear more effective and the overall “quality” and moisture is better preserved. I have used both methods and can’t really decide as my Lynx grill‘s sear station hits 1100F in about 5 minutes and I have turned out steaks 3-4” thick (think Tomahawks) that my friends stand in line for. At the end of the day, experiment and report back on your successes and failures so we can all learn together.

I’m fairly new to recteq grills, after owning a Traeger Eastwood for several years. I never did steaks on my Traeger because it wouldn’t get hot enough. I used to start steaks out on my Traeger and then move them over to my gas grill in an attempt to reverse sear them, but my gas grill tops out at 450F, so I never got a good sear. I went through life doing burgers & steaks on my gas grill from start to finish, while doing ribs and everything else on my Traeger.

That has ALL changed now with my new RT-1250! Following a recteq video on YouTube, I preheated my recteq to 225F and cooked my steaks until they reached 110F internally. I pulled em from the grill and cranked up the recteq to Full. When the grill hit 550F (which took very little time), I put the steaks back on and reverse seared them for 4 minutes on each side. The recteq actually hit 590F at one point. Holy crap! I had no idea this was possible on a pellet grill!

The steaks were excellent. I’ve never had a steak with a smoke ring before. I am one pleased cowboy!
How long did it take at 225 to reach 110 degrees?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back