Stampede Starting up in cold weather

Hey Adam,

Yesterday we updated the version on the controller and that will solve your problem. If your app did not automatically update, go to the app store and make sure you get it updated. We have seen this situation with the new 590s and 1250s during colder weather and we have been able to solve this situation with the app update!

Once you update the app, go ahead and clean the fire pot and start it up like you normally would with the lid closed.

Best,
Austin
What I get out of this is that RT updated the controller firmware/software within the grill? AFAIK, the previous generation of 590s did not have the ability to upgrade the controller firmware, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If the newer models do have the ability to upgrade the firmware, that's a step in the right direction. If Austin did not mean they updated the controller within the grill, disregard this post.

What I get out of this is that RT updated the controller firmware/software within the grill? AFAIK, the previous generation of 590s did not have the ability to upgrade the controller firmware, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If the newer models do have the ability to upgrade the firmware, that's a step in the right direction. If Austin did not mean they updated the controller within the grill, disregard this post.
You said What I was thinking. Unlike some other grill makers, it’s news to me that recteq can now update the controller firmware remotely.

This doesn't make sense but they are the experts..
Are they? I don't mind trying the RT recipes, but I am not sure I would call anyone working there an "expert".

Did RT use actually thermo guys to design the grill, or did they just copy what Traeger did once the patents expired?

The appeal to me was the use of quality components. Nothing about the grill, other than the controller is really much different than anyone else.

You said What I was thinking. Unlike some other grill makers, it’s news to me that recteq can now update the controller firmware remotely.
They can't, and I certainly didn't see anything requiring the grill to be plugged in when I downloaded the newest version of the iOS app.

IF that tech guy is trying to imply that there was a firmware update to the controller, he's blowing more smoke than the grill does.

They can't, and I certainly didn't see anything requiring the grill to be plugged in when I downloaded the newest version of the iOS app.

IF that tech guy is trying to imply that there was a firmware update to the controller, he's blowing more smoke than the grill does.
This is where a gasket will come in handy 😁

So after updating the app in the App Store I went in the app, I went to settings > firmware version and sure enough there was a firmware update. I hit install and it pushed it to my grill.

Following the update I fired it up. The pattern of the fan and auger adjusting to temp is different than it was before when maintaining temperature (shorter waveform pulses). Maybe this is what y’all have normally but it is different. Also the auger didn’t keep endlessly loading the firepot at startup until ignition like it used to.

Time will tell if this issue is fixed for me but there, but I can 100% confirm the grill updated (flashed the new firmware version after update) and there are changes to its operation relative to what it has done since I bought it. A step in the right direction it seems.

Attachments

• 252101DA-BA2B-4CA5-AF18-87457F33CE59.png
    252101DA-BA2B-4CA5-AF18-87457F33CE59.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 881F5E8B-A0F1-422D-939F-D3E7BC074961.png
    881F5E8B-A0F1-422D-939F-D3E7BC074961.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 0F255549-CCF2-4B48-AF04-F5B1DB5D0E62.jpeg
    0F255549-CCF2-4B48-AF04-F5B1DB5D0E62.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 6A2E2522-AA53-4689-863C-F2F0C9FADBA5.png
    6A2E2522-AA53-4689-863C-F2F0C9FADBA5.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Are they? I don't mind trying the RT recipes, but I am not sure I would call anyone working there an "expert".

Did RT use actually thermo guys to design the grill, or did they just copy what Traeger did once the patents expired?

The appeal to me was the use of quality components. Nothing about the grill, other than the controller is really much different than anyone else.

LOL.. problem is if you say anything different it upsets the fanpeople nest and you get buzzed. I have my own views which I try to refrain from knocking the nest or let it get to me.

So after updating the app in the App Store I went in the app, I went to settings > firmware version and sure enough there was a firmware update. I hit install and it pushed it to my grill.

Following the update I fired it up. The pattern of the fan and auger adjusting to temp is different than it was before when maintaining temperature (shorter waveform pulses). Maybe this is what y’all have normally but it is different. Also the auger didn’t keep endlessly loading the firepot at startup until ignition like it used to.

Time will tell if this issue is fixed for me but there, but I can 100% confirm the grill updated (flashed the new firmware version after update) and there are changes to its operation relative to what it has done since I bought it. A step in the right direction it
LOL.. problem is if you say anything different it upsets the fanpeople nest and you get buzzed. I have my own views which I try to refrain from knocking the nest or let it get to me.
getting zapped is the least of my worries. It’s not that I don’t care, but……wait, yeah it is. 😂

Time will tell if this issue is fixed for me but there, but I can 100% confirm the grill updated (flashed the new firmware version after update) and there are changes to its operation relative to what it has done since I bought it. A step in the right direction it seems.
Which grill do you have?

Yeah, the older grills do not have the ability to upgrade the firmware.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t have to question their answers if they haven’t given out dubious information in the past. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Well I went and did the door gasket thing yesterday evening, went on super easy and appears to seal quite nicely, do like how the lid feels now when closing.......time will tell.

I did not watch the entire video as the squealing was grating on my nerves. I wonder if the auger is frozen?
My first piece of advice is to move, if that is not practical I would call RT and see if you should put a heavy blanket, some have used welders blankets to warm it before use.
Honestly If I had to preform in 12 degree weather, well.............

I did not watch the entire video as the squealing was grating on my nerves. I wonder if the auger is frozen?
My first piece of advice is to move, if that is not practical I would call RT and see if you should put a heavy blanket, some have used welders blankets to warm it before use.
Honestly If I had to preform in 12 degree weather, well.............
I purchased a 590 3 months ago and first startup was making the same noise, contacted recteq support after much discussion and they came up with an idea of penetrating fluid (WD-40) in cold weather. I finally asked for a new auger motor and replaced motor and the noise was gone. There were aluminum casting slag rubbing on windings on motor!

D28298D3-4149-4543-883D-7C150F566CA2.jpeg

Started up the 590 in extreme cold today (12º F, but when the wife wants smoked chicken, who can say no?) and it made an awful noise until it warmed up a bit and produced just a ton of smoke. Wondering if I hadn't had left the lid open if I would have experienced an exploding smoker incident. When the pellets actually light, you can tell immediately and all the smoke clears. Anyone have experience like this? I'm fearful to leave the lid closed when there's this much smoke being produced on startup.

https://video.nest.com/clip/af3d0e240c6e421785e0c13bbddc746c.mp4
Montana grilling at -20 to 110. Smoke caused by the cold air contraction. As the 1, 2, or 4 initial pellets heat up their moisture is pushed out and contracts keeping flame from blossoming. Does this in my RT on the porch and the pellet stove in the garage. Can get pretty dense before flame. Lots of stuff don't move well when chilled. Just remember it's gonna be a bit longer reaching temp or holding. Have extra pellets. You'll need them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back