Stampede Starting for first time...help

elkmanjeff

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Chuckwagon
I received my 590 today, put together and began initial break in at 400 degrees for an hour. About 40 minutes in, I received a text that my grill was cooling. Checked the grill and fan was running but continued to cool. I moved the pellets around a little and added some, turned off, back on and re-started. I could hear auger going but the grill was not heating up, but smoking a lot. I opened grill and flames were shooting out all over. Unplugged and allowed to cool. Any thoughts on what just happened?

Cooling and flames all over does not compute. Probably just need better details. You’ll need to be clearer anyway to explain it to recteq.

was the cover open or closed? it wont stabilize if open.

At this point I’d check the fire box, look for burn back into the auger. Vac the ash out. If you have back burn run the auger in maintenance till you get clean pellets.

put in a SMALL amount of pellets in the fire box and try it with everything removed. When you see flames but it back together, close the cover, and see what happens.

Or call RT.

Barring something mechanically wrong, this almost sounds like a perfect storm of:
  1. A pellet bridge preventing more pellets feeding the auger.
  2. Turning off at relatively high heat creating a backburn into the auger and/or an overloading of the firepot on the next startup.
  3. Starting up again with an overloaded firepot and/or partially burned pellets in the auger.
I'd call support, but I'd also probably clean things up and start fresh first. Rough way to start with your new grill though. Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back