SPG????

DD owner

Curious as to the ratio and types of garlic powder/salt you use when you mix your own. I did a large brisket for thanksgiving using my own and I thought it was to salty. I typically mix 1 part salt and pepper and 1/2 part garlic powder. I could've mixed it wrong and we are definitely are own worse critics as everyone else raved about it but any tweaks or suggestions from you all would be appreciated!!

I don’t normally mix just those 3 items in a rub, but where I use the 3 in conjunction with other items, the S-P-G ratio is 1-1-1. I use kosher salt, black Tellicherry peppercorns I grind, and McCormick garlic powder.

Any chance you accidentally used garlic *salt* instead of garlic powder? I've done that before, and it certainly would make it too salty.

Any chance you accidentally used garlic *salt* instead of garlic powder? I've done that before, and it certainly would make it too salty.
Ahh hahhhh??? I dont think so, but possible. Ill keep an eye on this in the future. Thanks for the thought.

Could you have just put on too much? When I use SPG it's 1-1-1.
Possibly. I'm a rookie but when i watch the videos everyone coats until you cant see the meat thru the spices. I appreciate all the advice, tips, and experience you all share!

Here's Aaron Franklin putting on his S&P, you can gauge from it if you went overboard.
If I do this right...

Kosher salt comes in different grain sizes... Diamond Crystal {larger} vs Morton Kosher {smaller} by a lot..
I always use Diamond and a 40% to 60 % salt to pepper... Also think light, nothing like a BBQ rub application... Do check out the Franklin u tube...I always want to taste the Meat or Vegetables not just the SALT.. If what you taste is mostly salt it's way 2 salty..IMHO..

Didn’t happen to use table salt instead of kosher salt? That would cause it to taste overly salty.
It was table salt. Ive ordered the kosher salt and will definitely use that next time. Thanks!!

It was table salt. Ive ordered the kosher salt and will definitely use that next time. Thanks!!
Good call. Plenty of uses for kosher salt. My usual mix is 1 part kosher salt, 1 part pepper, half part garlic powder and half part onion powder. On one of my first briskets I was guilty of caking it on. Internal temperature was perfect but not the darn rub. Lesson learned.

Most "pros" will publish conversion ratios for Diamond at 2:1 and Morton at 1.5:1, so you did roughly double the salt by using table. And "caking it on" probably made it worse. Learning is an always proposition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back