Bull Smoking Saturday night -14 for a low

Mdfsu28

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Planning on smoking a brisket in my Bull RT 700 this Saturday over night for the Super Bowl but temps are supposed to be -14 and a windchill of -35? My grill is up by the house kinda blocked from the wind but didn’t know if that extreme cold would affect my cook at all and really don’t want to ruin a $70 brisket any thoughts?

Burr, now that's cold. I've smoked in the low teens before and while my RT kept the temp, it took a little longer to get to setpoint and definitely used more pellets. Other than that, I didn't notice anything weather related. Just make sure you have plenty of pellets on hand. Having a layer of pellet ash from a previous smoke can aid in insulating the pit too.

Now, the wind can mess with holding on to a setpoint though. I would suggest keeping an eye on that and to try to minimize as much as possible. If you can use your house to block it, you should probably be alright.

Make sure you temp verify your probes and have a good instant read for when you get close to pulling. With it that cold out, I would be monitoring things through the app.

Don’t open that lid! That would be like starting all over again at that temp!

On the coast I would use plywood to block the ocean breeze I would imagine something similar would help.

Look forward to seeing how this goes for you.

Put a welder blanket on it. You will be fine.

I'll be out there, too. Doing a pork shoulder on the Weber Kettle for a couple of hours and then it's going in the crock pot. Still haven't pulled the trigger, but the Bull is in my near future.

@Mdfsu28 if you want it done by Superbowl, it might be done, then again it might not. It would be better to get it done earlier than later. You can always keep it in a cooler. I would start it sooner than later. Very often, large cuts of meat, especially brisket are somewhat unpredictable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back