smokehouse pellets any good?

@hoopmeister
I found them at Sams club and price was decent. $14.99 40 lbs. I bought a bag to try out.
I've not tried them personally, but I have read many good things about Smokehouse pellets.

Be sure to update the thread with your feedback once you've given them a try.

I had a comment elsewhere, but don't remember which one. I bought some of those because as you noted, they are very thrifty, I'd seen a couple favorable comments on line with no negative ones, and they are convenient for those of us in the semi-boonies where most any other brand has to be shipped in. The only comparison I have is the CookinPellets blend sent by RT. First off, they worked fine. Compared to the Cookin blend the Smokehouse seemed to smell a bit more like hickory and the food seemed to have just a pinch more hickory flavor. My guess would be they have a higher proportion of hickory in their blend. At clean up the ash level was just a tad higher to my calibrated eye, but not anything I'd get excited about. Haven't had them long enough to have any thoughts on storage stability. At low temp, say 225 the Smokehouse caused the air fan to cycle a bit which the Cookinpellets never did, so my guess is that the Smokehouse burn a small amount hotter. At 250 and above there is no cycling.

We have the same deal here in LV - 40 lb. @ $14.98. Picked up a few bags right after I ordered our Stampede. Gives what I consider a mild smoke profile, could be attributed to the wood mixture, or since I came from using a MES wood chip burner. I've ordered a few bags of CookingPellets and will do a comparison to see if mixture (wood blend) vs. pure (100% hickory) makes that much of a difference..

But overall, they seem to perform well. Take this with a grain of salt since I don't have anything to compare it to and my pellet smoking days are very limited.

Bringing this thread back up. Scheels has their branded pellets on sale for Black Friday. $15 for a 40lb bag. Made by Smokehouse. They sell what they call a beef blend of hickory & oak and a poultry and pork blend, which is hickory, oak, maple and cherry. I will try a bag of each I think. Scheels stores are located out west.

Bringing this thread back up. Scheels has their branded pellets on sale for Black Friday. $15 for a 40lb bag. Made by Smokehouse. They sell what they call a beef blend of hickory & oak and a poultry and pork blend, which is hickory, oak, maple and cherry. I will try a bag of each I think. Scheels stores are located out west.
I have gone through a couple of bags of those with no issues so far.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but anyone been using these long term? I have gone through probably 200 lbs of this and I have started to get a flaky residue everywhere (Firepot, grease tray) that I don't remember getting while using other brands.

Use them, they do throw out a bit more ash but I like them and you can't beat the price very often.

Scheels has there branded Smokehouse pellets on sale. I was thinking of picking up a few bags to try. Any reason not to?

Scheels has there branded Smokehouse pellets on sale. I was thinking of picking up a few bags to try. Any reason not to?
Go for it! I think you’ll like them, but let us know what you think 🙂.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back