Smoked turkey with stuffing

Thanks @Jim6820
Makes sense. I'll follow your lead.
I have not spatchcocked a turkey in a very long time.
275 degrees sound reasonable?

I normally do chickens@ 350 for 1-1/2 hours like clockwork.
I haven’t done one in quite a while myself, but have generally done them at 300-325F. I think 275F would probably work as well, and might get you a little more smoke.

I don't ever inject poultry, but I virtually always brine and give it a day to rest after the brine provided I plan ahead.

And just my two cents, you can pretty much treat turkey like a big chicken in my experience. I start both low to get some smoke and color, but then roast at 350 - 375.

I don't ever inject poultry, but I virtually always brine and give it a day to rest after the brine provided I plan ahead.
Same here. I used to inject turkey, but apparently I did a bad job at it. I would end up with ‘rivers’ of injection in the meat, none anywhere else. Brining alone has worked well enough for me.

I've dry brined chickens, but not a turkey. In our world, it's essentially like applying a rub, but you apply the rub and let it sit for a longer period of time (some people say a few days). When I've done it, I've had challenges with moderating the saltiness. I know a handful of people that swear by the technique.

I personally like the wet brine as you can taste test the brine before submerging whatever you're brining. I broke down and got a dedicated garage fridge that I can rearrange to hold a 5 gallon bucket during this time of year.

“Smoked” turkey tastes like ham. Don’t do that. Watch the recteq video for spatchcocked turkey, you’ll be very happy with the results.
Cook a Cajun turkey I did one last year and doing one this year also turn out very well

I can avoid the "danger zone" most likely by cooking it at higher temps (250-275) to shorten the cooking time. At the higher temps though, am I just turning my smoker into an outdoor oven at that point and not getting any smoke flavor?
*Smoke Tube - but your comment stands as noted

I’m with @Pacman, @Greg Jones and @SmokeOCD on this one; do “dressing” (cooked outside the bird) rather than “stuffing” (cooked inside the bird). And, spatchcocking is definitely the way to go. Doing a spatchcocked bird and “dressing” will give you the best of both worlds without the extended cook time and possibility of contaminated stuffing.

We’ll be going to our daughter’s home for Thanksgiving, so I won’t be doing a turkey this year. I do plan on doing a smoked prime rib for the family on the Thanksgiving weekend, however. Talk about the best of both worlds; turkey, turkey sandwiches, prime rib and prime rib dip sandwiches. How can you beat that?
I am waiting for the invite, you are in my neck of the woods going to my son's house and then, that weekend going to smoke a turkey breast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back