Smoked Pork Chili?

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I wanted to make another pot of chili, after having made a pot a week or so ago. I hadn't made chili in a good number of years, but at one time, I was fanatical about chili. I used an old recipe I had developed 20 years ago and used brisket flat. But I found out it was way too expensive ($50) for the meat. So, I found some pork at Costco for less than $3/lb. It was pork country style boneless ribs.

What do you guys think of using this in chili? I've always used beef or a mix of beef and pork.
20211202_195433.jpg

Doesn't sound good to me. Let us know how it turns out if you do it.

I've used smoked pork before and it works just fine. You can chop, shred or cube it. Like using turkey or beef, it's just your preference. Though pork is probably more often used for making Colorado-type green chili rather than the typical red. Let us know how it turns out!

I make Chile Colorado with pork all the time (I know, blasphemy!) and it's great! The spices in CC are in the same genre as a traditional chili, so you'll be good. I use pork shoulder, cubed, which is what you've got there, just cut up into "rib" shapes. Make it, eat it, and let us know how tasty it was! :)

So, it cooked a good length yesterday. I sampled some just now. It has a hint of smoke and seems to be good eats. I need to do some final additions to it. Usually I'll add a bit of flour or cornstarch to thicken it a bit and some pinto beans. I used to be a purist and opposed to beans. These past few years, I've softened on that. Those two things help soften the richness of the spices a bit. I'm planning on offering this up tonight for our happy hour with neighbors out front.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back