Bull Smoked 8lb pork butt time?

I have cooked butts for 40 years and have never smoked one over 8 hrs.

Place it on the smoker at 250...use a smoke tube.

After 5 hrs wrap the butt with a couple ounces of apple juice and raise grill to 275. Butt temp at 190 will have it tender and good for chopping I always go ro 195. If pulling then go up to 203.

I like hickory pellets for smoking and use cherry in the tube

If u go higher the q will be mushy.

Just cooked 28 butts on my reverse flow and three on my bull for Christmas. The ones off the bull had a nice smoke ring, great flavor. Could not tell the difference between the butts off each smoker.

The difference is I didn't have to baby sit the bull.

I have cooked butts for 40 years and have never smoked one over 8 hrs.

Place it on the smoker at 250...use a smoke tube.

After 5 hrs wrap the butt with a couple ounces of apple juice and raise grill to 275. Butt temp at 190 will have it tender and good for chopping I always go ro 195. If pulling then go up to 203.

I like hickory pellets for smoking and use cherry in the tube

If u go higher the q will be mushy.

Just cooked 28 butts on my reverse flow and three on my bull for Christmas. The ones off the bull had a nice smoke ring, great flavor. Could not tell the difference between the butts off each smoker.

The difference is I didn't have to baby sit the bull.
I think mine was smoking for about 8 hrs. & have been doing this for about 25 yrs. I never pushed internal temp above 190. I've usually used my wood smoker in the past but wife got me the bull for my bday/xmas present. It is nice not to have to baby the temp like my wood smoker (stocking every 15-20 mins), with the bull just set it & forget it.
I'm 100% offgrid so it's nice to use the sun to its fullest benefit.

I'd do that if I had the time. Unfortunately, being offgrid doesnt allow that in the winter. I only have about 9 hrs before sundown. 🙂
Curious (not trying to be a jerk) - how are you offgrid but still running a power-dependent pellet smoker but not able to power lights?

Curious (not trying to be a jerk) - how are you offgrid but still running a power-dependent pellet smoker but not able to power lights?
No lights? I have 7.8kw solar panels with 16kw batteries (lithium ion). I have more power to support 3 homes. That's how. I just use the sun for my smoking. Like right now, it's totally overcast & I'm smoking a 8 lb brisket & still not using battery.
If things go south, I have a backup generator that automatically kicks in, in case my batteries can't support what's left.

Last edited:
No lights? I have 7.8kw solar panels with 16kw batteries (lithium ion). I have more power to support 3 homes. That's how. I just use the sun for my smoking. Like right now, it's totally overcast & I'm smoking a 8 lb brisket & still not using battery.
If things go south, I have a backup generator that automatically kicks in, in case my batteries can't support what's left.
So, you should be able to power 100 RT-700s if they are not igniting at the same time (y)

So, you should be able to power 100 RT-700s if they are not igniting at the same time (y)
That's a silly comment. Only have 1, not 100.
So, I suppose you depend on the public utilities for living. I'm sorry for your life.

Well, that went south and I’m not sure why. I am pretty sure that everyone was just curious and offering levity, not being confrontational.

That's a silly comment. Only have 1, not 100.
So, I suppose you depend on the public utilities for living. I'm sorry for your life.
@Lilbullowner ,
As mentioned, my intent was humor and not to be insulting or offensive.
I sincerely apologize if I have offended you in any way.
Have a Happy New Year.

Well, that went south and I’m not sure why. I am pretty sure that everyone was just curious and offering levity, not being confrontational.
Thanks Greg, I'm at a loss here.

@Lilbullowner ,
As mentioned, my intent was humor and not to be insulting or offensive.
I sincerely apologize if I have offended you in any way.
Have a Happy New Year.
No worries. I've just gotten other contradictory remarks about being offgrid.
I consider my utilities prepaid so why ignore benefits? In the city, they offer solar but then you get a surcharge for using it. I pay nothing.

No worries. I've just gotten other contradictory remarks about being offgrid.
I consider my utilities prepaid so why ignore benefits? In the city, they offer solar but then you get a surcharge for using it. I pay nothing.
Thank you, I feel much better now.

It did, my apologies. I hate when someone speaks uneducated comments about being offgrid.
It’s all good here! My wife and I have discussed what more we could do to be less dependent on utilities, but when you live in the middle of coal country as we do, they already almost pay us to take electricity (and water). I always enjoy hearing the stories of those who have take a different path.

It’s all good here! My wife and I have discussed what more we could do to be less dependent on utilities, but when you live in the middle of coal country as we do, they already almost pay us to take electricity (and water). I always enjoy hearing the stories of those who have take a different pat
It's cool. I'm 100% without support. I have neighbors down the road asking if I'm ok since they didn't have power for 3 days. I had no clue there was a power outage. The benefit of being offgrid is you're not at the mercy of public utilities.

Yeah - sorry for my part here also. I was just asking. I (incorrectly) interpreted the sundown comment to mean light was an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back