Stampede Smoke Flavor

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Question is there such a big difference between pellet company's..What & why is your favorite?
🤔

After 6 months I've only used 2 Lumber Jack & Cookinpellet. I also have a 12" tube but still could used some more smoke flavor.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Question is there such a big difference between pellet company's..What & why is your favorite?
🤔

After 6 months I've only used 2 Lumber Jack & Cookinpellet. I also have a 12" but still could used some more smoke flavor.

Thanks Dan
I personally can't tell any difference but that's just me.

I have used the several brands, mostly less expensive averaging about $15/40pound bag, and have had good results from them all so far in my RT700. I am sure some are better than others, but I have not seen that so far. I have not tried LJ because I can not find them locally and shipping cost is too high and I can not bring myself to pay $1+/pound when I am getting good results at less than $.50/pound. If you find something you like and the price is good for you, then keep using it.

🤔

After 6 months I've only used 2 Lumber Jack & Cookinpellet. I also have a 12" but still could used some more smoke flavor.

Thanks Dan
Not sure if this is what your are looking to do, but adding a smoker tube to the cook has made all the difference in additional smoke flavor for me. I got this one off Amazon...goes for about 4-5 hours when full. You can fill it with wood chips or your normal pellets. Get it lit, let it burn for about 5-10 minutes, blow out the flame, then lay it flat on your grill grate as your food cooks. It smolders as the food cooks and adds a LOT of smoke flavor. Had a Weber Smokey Mountain before my RT590, and that thing imparted some awesome smoke flavor to food. Adding the smoker tube to the RT590 has gotten me closer to the smoke flavor levels I had on the WSM.

https://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Smoke...=1&keywords=smoker+tube&qid=1614693648&sr=8-3

Not sure if this is what your are looking to do, but adding a smoker tube to the cook has made all the difference in additional smoke flavor for me. I got this one off Amazon...goes for about 4-5 hours when full. You can fill it with wood chips or your normal pellets. Get it lit, let it burn for about 5-10 minutes, blow out the flame, then lay it flat on your grill grate as your food cooks. It smolders as the food cooks and adds a LOT of smoke flavor. Had a Weber Smokey Mountain before my RT590, and that thing imparted some awesome smoke flavor to food. Adding the smoker tube to the RT590 has gotten me closer to the smoke flavor levels I had on the WSM.

https://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Smoke...=1&keywords=smoker+tube&qid=1614693648&sr=8-3
Hi this is what I have looks like the same.
https://amazenproducts.com/smokers/oval-tube-smoker-12-inch-bonus-pellets
Thanks Dan

Yes Dan! That is it. Have you ever tried adding it to your cooks? I have found it definitely makes things more smoky-flavored.

If you are coming from a stick burner then I don't think you are going to get the same smoke flavor you are looking for. At least, I haven't been able to find it. When I do a brisket or pork butt I do them on my stick burner for 6 or so hours first and then move them over to the pellet grill. That is the only way I've been able to get the smoke flavor I want in those meats.

This weekend I tried a pork butt on the pellet grill by putting it at 200 for about 12 hours hoping to get a good smokey flavor and it still didn't come close to what I get on my stick burner. I was using LJ Mesquite pellets. I also used a smoke tube with mesquite wood chips.

If you are coming from a stick burner then I don't think you are going to get the same smoke flavor you are looking for. At least, I haven't been able to find it. When I do a brisket or pork butt I do them on my stick burner for 6 or so hours first and then move them over to the pellet grill. That is the only way I've been able to get the smoke flavor I want in those meats.

This weekend I tried a pork butt on the pellet grill by putting it at 200 for about 12 hours hoping to get a good smokey flavor and it still didn't come close to what I get on my stick burner. I was using LJ Mesquite pellets. I also used a smoke tube with mesquite wood chips.
There is definitely no replacement for the stick burner but I'm getting used to it.

There is definitely no replacement for the stick burner but I'm getting used to it.
I can't plus I have several co-workers that I give meat to when I cook and they have all commented that it is missing the smoke flavor when I just do it on the pellet grill.

This.

Yep. Nothing is going to replace the flavor of wood chunks or sticks. I went to the RT 590 from a vertical gas smoker using chunks. Big difference in smoke flavor. The vertical smoker with chunks just gives more smoke flavor. I have used the the maze and tubes to enhance smoke and they help but it's just not the same. All that being said, I like the convenience of the pellet smoker and I'm not willing to go back to having to check the smoker every 15 minutes to a half hour.

Came to our Bull from an Offset, Stick Burner too
We use a Smoke Tube, bottom Rack, opposite the Stack
Meat (or whatever) on the Top Rack
It lasts about 4 - 4.5 hours and does add a good amount of Smoke
We use only the Tube when Smoking Cheese
Smoke Tube.jpg

Smoke Tube 2.jpg

Smoke Tube 3.jpg

Never had a proper smoker before this just the Weber charcoal grill. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I have been very happy with the stamped and smoke flavor. I just used a bag of the apple wood pit boss pellets and I liked them. Besides that I have only used the recteq pellets and bear mountain. Don’t think I noticed one being smokier then the other but definitely different flavors. On a long smoke I use two smoke tubes with a mix of pellets and wood chips.

Get a smoke daddy and you will have all the smoke you want. Search for it here on these forums. Lots of info.

It sucks that we spend big money on a Reqtec smoker, and then we need to spend more money to get it to give us the smoked flavor we're use to from cheap, but less convenient units.

It sucks that we spend big money on a Reqtec smoker, and then we need to spend more money to get it to give us the smoked flavor we're use to from cheap, but less convenient units.
Yes it is, but I'm guessing the majority of people that buy these have never done a smoke on stick burner.

It’s not just Rec Teq, it’s pellet grills. It’s the price of convenience.
Exactly, you can't set the temp and forget it like you can with a pellet grill, you have to supervise a stick smoker. That said, mine has plenty of smoke in the chamber using Lumberjack (currently hickory) but I have Lumberjack Competition and RecTec Ultimate
20210320_183650.jpg

20210320_183849.jpg

Hickory is in it today and it's breezy but there's a lot of smoke when the wind briefly stops.
The Lumberjack seems a little smokier than the RecTec Ultimate

Last edited:
I picked up a heavy-d from smoke daddy and used it for the first time today. worked great! Much better smoke flavor for me - tho the family likes the light pellet flavor better.
To get the wood chunks lit I set it to 270 to start, I could see (and smell) the smoke once the chunks lit (actually a bit before it hit 270) and then turned it back down to 225. I did not have to crack the top open or futz with the temp while the wood chunks were smoking - the 590 cruised steadily @225 the entire cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back