Bull Smoke box

whta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok, so they’re available, but not much traction on the forum about them. Does anyone have it & use it? A few questions:

1) isn’t storage a big issue when not in use?
2) how much lower than 180 can it go?
3) what are the “best” things to use it for?

Thsee are the benefits in the email I received today…
The recteq Smokebox gives you the ability to smoke fish, cheese, jerky, sauces, spices, and even condiments at low temperatures.

Cant we basically do all these now on the Bull? What am I missing?

So I don't have a smoke box, but I've done a little research and am still kicking tires on this...
  1. It's a permanent install as you're unbolting the smoke stack and bolting this thing to the right side of the main pit, and then reattaching the smoke stack to the box.
  2. I'll defer to others on this, but I would imagine that the smoke has cooled quite a bit before entering the smoke box. I would guess you're probably 20 to 40 degrees cooler for cold smoking or keeping things warm.
  3. That depends upon preferences. I was interested in smoking fish, cheese, and other "odd" things like butter (I don't even know if that's a thing). I also was thinking about doing jerky, but have since done a fair amount of jerky in the main pit.

I finally ordered mine for my RT680. Over the years I've read lots of information. Lower in the box cooler the rack. Seems like the top rack is closer to set point temperature. Only thing I'm worried about is it hanging off the side and someone getting burned. Cheese salmon and holding box is my intention.

I have one. Use it all the time. And, yes, you can do most things without it. However, it DOES stay at a significantly lower temp than the grill itself (if you use the bottom rack) so I am able to leave things on longer (my wife has me do cheese sticks every time I grill). She also does avocado's...something we couldn't do before because of the temp. Yesterday, my timing was off a bit on my burgers so I put them in the smoke box for about 20 min and they were perfect when everything else was done. So, for me, it has been a great addition. YMMV.

We didn't opt for one when we ordered or Bull .... but that's not saying it's not on back of Mind
Can do a lot with the Bull (off) and a Smoke Tube, so maybe the "Box" is farther back of Mind
I would guess, that a lower Box Temp would also depend on Ambient Temp and proximity to direct Sun
The Box IS Black after all !
FYI:
Smoked Cheese has a recommended 60 degrees Max !
Smoking Cheese in the Summer, doesn't work well during Daylight hours here !

We didn't opt for one when we ordered or Bull .... but that's not saying it's not on back of Mind
Can do a lot with the Bull (off) and a Smoke Tube, so maybe the "Box" is farther back of Mind
I would guess, that a lower Box Temp would also depend on Ambient Temp and proximity to direct Sun
The Box IS Black after all !
FYI:
Smoked Cheese has a recommended 60 degrees Max !
Smoking Cheese in the Summer, doesn't work well during Daylight hours here !
Ambient temp does play a big part. As far as 60 degrees for cheese...I have never believed that, never followed that, and never had a single problem with smoking dozens of different cheeses at significantly higher temps than that. Again, YMMV.

Ambient temp does play a big part. As far as 60 degrees for cheese...I have never believed that, never followed that, and never had a single problem with smoking dozens of different cheeses at significantly higher temps than that. Again, YMMV.
Hey Billy:
Thanks for that
I went back and reread that Article
I did miss read it:
"Cold smoking cheese is best done during the fall or winter months when the
outside temperature is no higher than 60ºF (15°C)."
And:
"Aim to keep the cold smoking temperature at below 90°F. Anything above this temperature could lead to your cheese sweating or melting."

Guess I need to update my Cheat Sheet ;)

How high of temperatures are you having success with? I expect it varies a bit depending on the type of cheese. I'm seeing 100F on the lower thermometer on my smokebox with the 700 on low (180) with ambient temperature in the 30s.

When I cold smoke using the smoke box, I do not fire up the grill and I only do it at night. I will place 2 smoke tubes in the main chamber and let them smoke, that is the only source of heat that I use. It will never get above 70º and the infusion of smoke is great. I do live in a warm climate and I cannot cold smoke in the summer months.

Could it be considered a super smoker?
Put your meat in there an hour before the regular grill?
I like lots of smoke flavor 😊

How high of temperatures are you having success with? I expect it varies a bit depending on the type of cheese. I'm seeing 100F on the lower thermometer on my smokebox with the 700 on low (180) with ambient temperature in the 30s.
Depending on the cheese, I have gone as high as 110 (My wife likes the crappy cheese sticks you buy at Costco and I will go up to 120 on those). I try to stay under 100 if possible. Cheddar was the only cheese that broke down when it got above 100.

This is my set up. Cold, hot, storage it can do it all!
I ordered a extra smoke stack from RT (they do not offer them up on the website anymore!!) and did a small amount of adjusting to make it fit. When I want to use it just swing my dry vent hose over to fit over the exhaust stack.
If the grill is set at 180 the smoker box is under 100. I can also just use the smoke tube in the grill and turn on the fan for circulation.

thumbnail_0825191351a_resized.jpg

I am able to achieve around 90-100 degrees early in the day in the shade. All bets are off for summer or random warm days. This is a bottom rack temperature in the smokebox with main grill at 180. We have done cheese several times this way and been happy. The smokebox is also a great holding space for other items. No worries on bumping into the box or getting burned, which someone mentioned earlier.

When I cold smoke using the smoke box, I do not fire up the grill and I only do it at night. I will place 2 smoke tubes in the main chamber and let them smoke, that is the only source of heat that I use. It will never get above 70º and the infusion of smoke is great. I do live in a warm climate and I cannot cold smoke in the summer months.
So, in theory, if your method works, you don't really need the box, right? Just don't start the grill and toss a couple smoke tubes on the 700 and smoke on...?

So, in theory, if your method works, you don't really need the box, right? Just don't start the grill and toss a couple smoke tubes on the 700 and smoke on...?
Yes and no, it depends of what you are cold smoking. If I am doing cheese, yes you could but I mostly cold smoke fish or meat sticks and I need to hang it and that is great in the smokebox.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back