Bull Signs of rust?

CaMiX

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm seeing some signs of rust build up. I thought this grill was 100% stainless??? I keep my grill outside under patio roof most of the time covered with the black recteq cover. I think the Nickel content in the stainless is probably too low... Crappy Chinese stainless?

IMG_20220127_123440.jpg

Stainless doesn't mean rust proof. Stainless steel can and will rust in certain conditions.
Umm yeah Stainless does mean rust proof. It's in the word "Stainless". Unfortunately the industry and heavy marketing have watered that term down and cut costs in how it's manufactured. This ain't your grandpa's Stainless steel that's for sure. It's not like I have my grill on the bottom of the ocean. I'm pretty sure the conditions I listed, as my use cases, fall under what should be acceptable conditions for rust not to form. This wouldn't be happening if it were real/quality Stainless steel.

you could probably knock that off with stainless steel wool or a fine sand paper. you definitely have alot of years left in it even if you don’t mess with it. how old is it? don’t use regular non stainless steel wool that can leave behind fibers that rust

Do you live in a coastal area? A humid, salt-air environment will cause the corrosion you are seeing. Salt air will even get under the fabric covers, though they do help some, especially if you wipe down the exterior surface of the grill with fresh water before covering..

I do agree that the quality of “stainless steel” that we are seeing on a lot of foreign-made products is poor. It is also true, however, that “stainless steel” comes in many different alloys, some more resistant to corrosion than others. If a magnet is attracted to the SS as is sometimes the case, it has a high iron content and will show surface rust.

If you do try the stainless steel wool route suggested by @chadinsc above, be absolutely sure it is real “stainless steel wool.” Regular steel will will make the problem worse; bits of the regular steel wool will get embedded in the surface and rust badly. Don’t ask how I know this. 😉

Maybe a call to Recteq is in order.

Last edited:
You should give that one to me and buy a new one.

I would not want to see any issues given that rust could cause you and rather side with caution.

Really.. I'm doing you a favor ;) ! Just my caring self.
Hey @sdynak , that's very kind of you taking one for the team.

@CaMiX , consider yourself lucky! He wouldn't make this generous offer to just anyone.

Umm yeah Stainless does mean rust proof. It's in the word "Stainless". Unfortunately the industry and heavy marketing have watered that term down and cut costs in how it's manufactured. This ain't your grandpa's Stainless steel that's for sure. It's not like I have my grill on the bottom of the ocean. I'm pretty sure the conditions I listed, as my use cases, fall under what should be acceptable conditions for rust not to form. This wouldn't be happening if it were real/quality Stainless steel.
We'll have to disagree on this one.

From Reliance Foundry.......

Will stainless steel rust?​

Stainless steel is armed with built-in corrosion resistance but it can and will rust in certain conditions—although not as quickly or severely as conventional steels. Stainless steels corrode when exposed to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, moisture, or heat for prolonged periods of time.

Stainless steel’s protection against corrosion is largely dependent on the amount of chromium present. If there is not enough chromium content near the surface of the stainless steel, a new chromium oxide layer cannot be formed when the top layer is scratched off. This leaves the material very vulnerable to several types of corrosion.

Rec Teq says they use 304 stainless which is also the most common used type used in industry due to its high corrosion resistance.

Question for the OP.....Do you ever set grills, pans, racks, or other metal items on the pellet hopper lid? I have to wonder if there's been some transfer from those items causing the rust.

Here's some good tips on protecting SS: https://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Stainless-Steel

Last edited:
Rec Teq says they use 304 stainless which is also the most common used type used in industry due to its high corrosion resistance.

Question for the OP.....Do you ever set grills, pans, racks, or other metal items on the pellet hopper lid? I have to wonder if there's been some transfer from those items causing the rust.

Here's some good tips on protecting SS: https://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Stainless-Steel
Very good article. Thanks! :cool:

thats a good point. parts of the grill are 400 series stainless also. but i did leave a steak weight on my hopper lid that caused rust on it to appear. it was only from the iron weight and cleaned off easily

I can't tell what we're looking at in the images, but this is from the web site.

"The RT-700 features 304 stainless steel grates, firepot, heat deflector, and drip pan."

I would think those parts won't rust, mine haven't, yet.

I can't tell what we're looking at in the images, but this is from the web site.

"The RT-700 features 304 stainless steel grates, firepot, heat deflector, and drip pan."

I would think those parts won't rust, mine haven't, yet.
i couldn’t tell at first either. but thats the hopper lid. can see the barrel on right

I get little rust spots on the SS side burner cover on my 20+ year old Weber. I've used a metal cleaner on it with good results. I'm guessing these parts are not 304 but some more rust prone grade or RT would have touted it. If you are in the warranty period give em a call.

My 700 went about 2 weeks before i started seeing that same type of rust on that hopper lid and where the controller is. It’s not such super high quality stuff but it’s not getting noticeably worse or rusting through atleast

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back