Bull Should I Brine my Turkey- it is a pre-injected bird.

Randy2023

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just wondering from your experience if I should brine a pre-injected Turkey. This is a 14 pounder. Planning on spatchcocking and smoking on my Bull.

I don’t brine saline injected birds. It’s way too salty in the end. Spend your time putting butter and fresh herbs (sage, thyme) under the breasts and getting a nice color on the bird. It will be plenty juicy from the saline solution if you don’t take it over 165.

It would be better to know what it was injected with. Most often it's a saline solution so if it is and you put it through a brine you'll be doubling down on salt. Might be a bit much.
I made this mistake last year. Way too salty! Look at the label carefully. This year I'm using less than ¼ the salt in my brine.

Couldn't find any unprebrined turkeys at all the local grocers, ended up at a turkey farm that is more or less local. Fresh turkey breast, $8.50 lb.o_O

I think Uncle Bob's point about salt content is a potential issue. If any additional injection or brine adds more salt, that could be risky. I always brine for 24 hours but start with a bird that has not been touched.

Several comments about brining a bird that has been injected or has a salt solution added or it will be too salty. this is a myth. Osmosis does not work like that. I brine all birds and they are all great.

Just wondering from your experience if I should brine a pre-injected Turkey. This is a 14 pounder. Planning on spatchcocking and smoking on my Bull.
I did 2 ea 16 pound frozen Butterball turkeys with Traeger orange bourbon turkey brine kits in large plastic bag lined crab pots for 20 hours in fridge and had no excessive salt taste at all

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back