Trailblazer Severe temp issues - 100 degrees off!

JS59

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi all - new to the forum here. I saw a post or two on this - but none this dramatic. I attempted to cook a brisket over the weekend and wound up ruining it due to major temp issues. I was setting my rectec at 250 . . . then 225 . . . then 200 but struggled to keep my actual temp under 300. I wound up wedging the door open a bit to keep it at 290 or so - but it ultimately charred and ruined my brisket. Luckily the brisket it was on sale for $24 . . . but still frustrating. Like others have said on posts, the whole reason I have this grill is because I don't want to baby sit it for the entire cook.

Anyway, I have seen other posts on "feed rate" - how do I adjust that - and do you think it will fix an actual temp that is 100 degrees + over my setting? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Hi all - new to the forum here. I saw a post or two on this - but none this dramatic. I attempted to cook a brisket over the weekend and wound up ruining it due to major temp issues. I was setting my rectec at 250 . . . then 225 . . . then 200 but struggled to keep my actual temp under 300. I wound up wedging the door open a bit to keep it at 290 or so - but it ultimately charred and ruined my brisket. Luckily the brisket it was on sale for $24 . . . but still frustrating. Like others have said on posts, the whole reason I have this grill is because I don't want to baby sit it for the entire cook.

Anyway, I have seen other posts on "feed rate" - how do I adjust that - and do you think it will fix an actual temp that is 100 degrees + over my setting? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Grill must be plugged in.
There are 2 ways to adjust the minimum feed rate
1 using the menu settings button on the grills controller select Aug and set it to 30 or 3.0 it's the samething and leave it there.

2 using the app on your phone hit the little gear icon upper right side click on the minimum feed rate and set it to 30 or 3.0 it's the samething I have my Bull set to this year round and never have had a flame out or temperature overshoot issues

Last edited:
Is this a new grill, or one that you have used before? In other words, did it work fine before and just started acting up? I have a thread on this forum talking about a similar problem on my 340. Worked fine for about a year and a half, and then suddenly jumped up to ~75+/- degrees above my 225 setpoint. Adjusted feed rate to 3.5 as directed by RT customer service. It did much better, but still had occasional spikes. Lowered feed rate to 3.0 after another call to RT, but still has occasional spikes (Max 252 with a setpoint of 225). So still trying to get this resolved, but the feed rate adjustment did help.

i had the same problem was resolved by calling RT they walked me thru how to slow the auger speed down at the grill there is a video on how to do it I believe has been posted above my post

There seems to be bunches of folks having to turn down the auger speed to 3.0. When I receive my Stampede in a couple of weeks I will check to see what the factory setting is. The on line manual says 65. I am beginning to think the factory setting ought to be something else.

I got my 700 last week. Checked the auger speed and it came set at 30 which surprised me because the RT video says 65. We live in a hot part of California so I wanted to make sure I didn’t have high temp problems. Maybe RT decided to get ahead of overheating problems by dropping the factory set point.

That is interesting. We live along the CA coast, which has pretty mild temperatures. Our 700 arrived a month ago with a 65 preset. I have not touched it and there are no issues. I wonder if Rec Tec changes the preset based on your location?

If you have checked minimum feed rate and it is set to 3.0, and still have spikes, try checking the chamber probe. Mine was bent toward the wall of the smoker. I used pliers to carefully straighten the bracket to vertical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back